Announcing that Elders are no longer Elders

by Spudinator 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

In the past year or so a local congregation has had several announcements that "So-and-So is no longer serving as an elder."

One of these elders has served in the Watchtower organization since the 1940's.

One thing apparent is the "organization's" lack of recognition and/or appreciation for its own. In any "worldly" enterprise this length of service is duly and heartily recognized. What would it hurt for the announcement to include something like this:

"We appreciate Brother So-and-So's faithful service as an elder, teacher, and mentor in the world wide work and especially within the [Insert local Congregation Name] Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Let us all give a big hand for Brother So-and-So." [Applause.]

It is simple human kindness, and more importantly, it costs nothing!

Why then, is something like this not the current practice?

• blondie
    blondie

That would be the loving thing, spudinator, but....the elders making the announcement are required to say it exactly has you hear it, not extra words, nothing. In fact, in 3 of the congregations I've attended, the announcing elder writes it down and the PO makes sure nothing more is added.

Blondie (I'm surprised the prayers aren't pre-written and approved)

• sf
    sf

Actually, it costs everything!

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

What with more information about the WTBTS becoming public, such as the pedophile issue, the blood issue, the UN NGO issue, etc., more and more elders are privately stepping down as a "matter of conscience". While they are not yet ready to exit the Organization, their conscience will no longer allow them to be in a position of authority, because they have lost faith in the authority they represent.

While I don't know the reasons that the elders in your congregation were removed, any time one steps down or is removed from a position of authority in a hierarchical religion like the JWs, it is not considered as setting a "fine example" to others.

There may be more going on behind the scenes. Just a thought.....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Because that would be giving praise to man rather than Jehovah. Remember, Elders are mere slaves for Jehovah, their accomplishments mean shit because Jehovah is apparently filling them with holy spirit.

• mizpah
    mizpah

The shameful thing is that often when an elder steps down for health or other family reasons members in the congregation often think that it was due to some infraction rather than reasons above. Then, he is often treated as a second class citizen in spite of his many years of faithful service.

I knew of a elder who voluntarily stepped down because he felt his children (four teenagers) needed his time and attention. His duties as elder kept him from home and involved in many activities in the small congregation. When the announcement was made he became somewhat of a pariah in the congregation. Members avoided talking to him. And he was made to feel that he had done something terribly wrong...when, in fact, all he did was to put his family obligation first.

This brother should have been admired for his decision. And his reasons should have been made clearly known to the congregation. But, alas, that is not the way the organization works!

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

To clarify the point I am attempting to address, in both cases above there was no "wrong-doing" involved. The older brother has some fairly serious health issues, and the other brother needed more time for his own and extended family. To reiterate, both have been and still are exemplary brothers with no doubts about the Watchtower organization.

You can see why the organization would not be eager to say anything too flowery about those removed for "wrong-doing", but I was trying to address why in the case of exemplary brothers something more warm compassionate could be stated from the podium, than the standard, rather cold announcement.

• blondie
    blondie

I understand that, spudinator. My husband stepped recently (within the last 2 years) and it was not for wrongdoing. Yet, they have the same brief announcement. It is not by accident. It is phrased that way by the direction of the WTS and if the elders varied that, then something would be said to them, usually by the PO who is responsible for what is said from the platform.

It is a shame, but not much different from the generic funeral talks that have about 2 minutes for talking about the deceased, and 43 minutes for talking about the WTS doctrines on resurrection.

Blondie

• Matty
    Matty

Yes, it always sounded just like a disfellowshipping or public reproval announcement. It always made me feel very uncomfortable. Many brothers and sisters felt the same and felt compelled to be extra friendly to the person in question after the meeting was over. It is a humiliation, despite what anyone says to the contrary and the way it's done certainly contributes to this feeling.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

why in the case of exemplary brothers something more warm compassionate could be stated from the podium

Spud,

Any time spent recognizing the hard work and devotion of a dear elder would take time away from one of the Kingdom Ministry parts for the week or cut into a part about how our ministy is a demonstration of love to others.

***** Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit