Announcing that Elders are no longer Elders

by Spudinator 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Many take as their favorite text Luke 17:10. "When you have done all things asigned to you, say, 'We are good-for-nothing slaves. What we have done is what we ought to have done.'"

No ThankYous deserved or to be expected.

• wednesday
    wednesday

the elders i have known who stepped down for health reasons or family reasons, etc, generally made sure (via the gossip mil) that it was known. And usually it was always known why.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Actually when my dad steped down as an elder, they did tell him "thank you" and that they appreciated his dedication to Jehovah and the congregation...and people did applaude.

I honestly didn't know you weren't supposed to do that...

• Maverick
    Maverick

The point is to not make stepping aside easy or comfortable....ever! They want you to take the "privilege", and never walk away from any work they ask you to do. By making it tough to walk away, many just stay. I turned down being appointed an elder twice, the elders were very unhappy and made it plain to me I would, most likely, never be asked again. I said, "great!" Many brothers suffer "burn out" and are looked down on as inferior somehow for not being tough enough to take the pressure. You can't please these slave drivers. They will always make you feel like it's your fault! So they just can't be gracious in letting someone drop out, unless they do so by dying! Maverick

• benext
    benext

After an elder was "deleted" in a former congregation, a sister asked me if she could still speak to him.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Normal standards of human deceny-- alien concepts to JWs these days -- would seem to prompt someone charged with making such an announcement to say ``we've appreciated your service and wish you well." By handling it as they do, they open the door wide for speculation as to what happened -- did he resign or was he kicked out? Is this subtle form of abasement deliberate? It seems naive to believe otherwise.

• happy man
    happy man

I have read on this site things like this, he is still a JW in good standing, only get down as an elder , and this is related to peopel how have done abused things widh children or teenage girls, so in this case was it only said from the podium brother so ans so stepp down?

Why , perhaps beaucause they have a long time of serving jehova .and the siin is very old .

So this annonsment can also bee used to protekt some bad things or?.

• metatron
    metatron

This always disgusted me about C.O.'s - and especially Knorr.

They assume that they have a right to threaten, criticize, label, and unbraid

BUT they have little or no responsibility to THANK ANYONE. Any remarks of gratitude are usually infrequent

and rather grudgingly given - or repeated as if read from cue cards ( "The Governing Body appreciates....)

metatron

• mizpah
    mizpah

While Luke 17 speaks of the attitude that a person should have within him, it's always nice to hear the commendation from others:

"Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come share my master's happiness." (Matthew 25:21)

• Room 215
    Room 215

Joannadaddy, it's heartwarming to hear that there are still a few decent JW elders with blood in their veins! Unfortunately, an impersonal, aloof demeanor is more the rule, with shows of spontanaeity, emotion and warmth denigrated as ``emotional immaturity."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit