Anybody here still believe in the bible?

by Mel Morris 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Mel Morris
    Mel Morris

I'm a current bible student of JW's looking to chat with someone about biblical doctrine. I'm not interested in talking with an apostate or a fader, I'm just a person looking for answers and wondered if there are any neutral voices in this forum who have good insights into the bible. I currently talk with a couple of JW's on a personal level from my congregation and they are knowledgeable to a certain extent, but I dare not ask them certain questions because, as you know, the congregation has a culture of fear that impacts trust and openness, especially concerning biblical doctrine or the societies teachings. I'm looking to dive deeply into biblical subjects, so perhaps an ex- elder or someone versed in the scriptures can help me understand a few points. Secondly, I'd like to do a google hangout or find a platform that I can have open discussions concerning doctrine...not Watchtower bashing, I never give much time to negativity. Please anyone who still believes is welcomed to message me.

• jwdoctrine
    jwdoctrine

I believe in the Bible .What is it that you want to discuss?

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Mel. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who can help you with any bible topic you would like to discuss. It's inevitable you will have interactions here with ex-JWs and people who have concluded through extensive research that the bible is not 'inspired'.

Don't be afraid of having those conversations. Truth has nothing to fear.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi mel..."a culture of fear"..." impacts trust and openness "...sounds like you've sussed them already... my advice stay clear your on a hiding to nothing.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

Search for the site Bereoan Pickets they review WT study articles and give bible based Christian viewpoints. I believe they also have a forum to discuss bible topics.

• TD
    TD

Depends on what you mean by "..believe in the Bible."

Are we talking about belief in the JW/Fundy notion that the 66 book compilation is a single contiguous work from cover to cover? And on that basis, we should look in Revelation to explain passages in Daniel?

Personally, I think that view is laughable. The Bible is so much more interesting and colorful when you realize that the writers did not all agree and in some cases (e.g. Paul and James) they appear to have actively disliked each other.

(For the record, I am the unbelieving spouse of an inactive JW)
  • EverApostate
    EverApostate

AS you had requested, this site has a lot of good insights into the bible.

http://www.evilbible.com/

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I'm not interested in talking with an apostate or a fader

Well what a great choice to come here, because practically EVERYBODY here is either an apostate or a fader.

Here is a great insight into the bible. If you rip off two full pages from it, it makes a fantastic birdcage liner.

• humbled
    humbled

You will be faced with either believing the Bible or else believing the Governing Body.

The culture of fear you face is because “Perfect love casts out fear” and the WT is all about conditional love. The fear you see is that any time someone remarks “ this isn’t what the Bible says” the elders will mark you as a trouble maker instead of a serious Christian.

For instance if you were to point this out:

The policy for the Anointed ones was changed in recent times. The Revelation 14 verses that identify these individuals says they follow the Lamb wherever He goes. But they are obliged to follow the Governing Body wherever IT goes. Isn’t this a contradiction?

Conflict. You will find many such problems in the doctrine of this religion.

You will have no freedom of worship in the WT religion. This is aside from what l personally believe at this moment.

Ask your questions now if you plan to join. You will not be free to question later without paying the price many of us paid: disfellowshipped and shunned.

But we are free to believe or not- honestly.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Hi Mel,

Welkome! I hope you realize that unless you accept Watchtower doctrine 100% you're an apostate yourself already (according to Watchtower).

So why avoid your peers? ;-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit