My Best Friends Still Love Me

by Piph 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

Amazing how my friends threads are all being 'brought to a resurrection' recently.. tee hee..

I think Piph, we have been learning together at the same time who our true friends are.. Its been an enlightenment to see what friendship means to JWs and how far they really will go for us if we leave the WTS. Fortunately now that we have no one telling us we cannot have friends in the 'world'... there is a wider selection of people to love and be loved by!! And you know I am here for ya! Can't wait for you and Dan to pass through the area and share more in person time with!

• Piph
    Piph

Wow, thanks so much, Alias (love your av by the way :D) and Sassy. :)

I kind of went through a period of intense pain, then kind of a nothingness, and then a period of grief where I was able to cry and sort of let go. Since then I've been having dreams about old friends...and in a way, they're really positive dreams...dreams where they still love me even though we don't believe the same.

My mom told me a few weeks ago that people have been telling her to tell me that they love me (and wish I'd come back). Obviously I don't care to return to that religion, but the fact that they at least still feel a measure of love for me (tainted though it may be) made me feel a lot better and actually aided in my being able to let go emotionally. It definitely helped me let go of some shame issues I was having. I'm the kind of person that can feel really ill when there is emotional baggage left undone and out in the open...knowing I'm still loved (I have huge issues with rejection) gave me the strength to let go in my heart (instead of Klingon...cling on...get it? ah ha ha :p).

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

edit: Doh! I didn't realize this thread was so old. And I already replied.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'm so glad Piph that love is still being sent your way through your parents. I wish I could say the same. I've had such vicious and mean correspondance that I am not in touch with any of my friends for any reason any longer and they are not sending message back through my mom.. and actually my mom hardly talks to me any more either..

I've been dreaming about friends too.. last night about seeing the man whose wife studied and brought my mom into the 'truth'.. I woke up and cried. He's been dead for over 10 yrs now.. everything has changed and I miss those people even though I dont' miss the religion..

any way.. I sure am glad you are getting some positive feelings back..

• Odrade
    Odrade

Wow Piph, that's rough. You exited from the same hall you grew up in didn't you? I know if I had still been in my childhood hall, I may never have gotten out. The bonds are so much stronger, and since those people have known you for so long, I think they really do love you.

But I've been in 3 (well technically 4) different congregations since then, and those friendships were ALL conditional and/or convenient. Makes it so much easier. I guess I was pretty lucky, most of the ties were already dissolved by the time we left the Borg. I can only imagine what you're going through right now. Feel free to call me anytime. Looking forward to seeing you again.

O

• Valis
    Valis
    she feels that she needs to stay close to Jehovah herself for now.

ahahah then there is hope yet!

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Piph
    Piph

Aw. You guys are all so sweet. *fuzzies*

I tried to post in here last night, but I got an error page and I couldn't retrieve my post. :p I was really frustrated 'cause I really liked my post! Oh welll...I'll try to re-communicate its gist.

LOL @ Dr. Wat... what I'm wanting to know is if you said the same thing you said before. Now that would *really* be funny. Heehee.

((((Sassy)))) That is so sad. I was just thinking this morning that now that we have different views on death/afterlife, it's like we have to re-grieve the losses we suffered while we were still Witnesses. My grampa died exactly two years ago to the month (he wasn't a Witness), and while before I had consoled myself with seeing him again, now I don't believe that and have to face the feelings accordingly. ((((hugs)))) to you for the loss of your friend...old wounds become renewed.

((((Odrade)))) You sweetie! :-) Here's to seeing you again soon. *clink*

With losing my friends and family, I've kind of gone through a three part grieving process so far. For one thing, I'm really lucky to still have the association of my parents. They're not happy, and that's painful, but at least they'll still talk to me and have us over and go out with us from time to time...and they avoid bringing religion into the conversation and try to act upbeat and happy when around us. I know they're going through a lot of pain and they really love and care for us, because they sincerely believe we're going to die. Wah, they deserve to be happy, they deserve so much more, but I can't give that to them. Uh, anyway, back to the three part grieving process...at first, I was in total agony; the timing was horrible, I felt like staying in bed all the time, and all of the emotional pain really put a kink in our honeymoon (and not the fun kind of kink!). After a while, I kind of forced myself to refocus on other things and put the feelings on a back burner. After a time, they kind of came out naturally, and I had a period of grief where I was able to cry out my feelings and kind of move on.

Besides what I've gone through with my parents, the hardest thing for me has been losing my former best friend. She was an absolutely amazingly beautiful person, and there's no way I'll ever be able to fill the empty space she created when she left. She still talks to me if we see each other around, and the emotional connection is still there. We ran into each other a couple of months ago at the pool hall...we were both hugging and crying. It's so sad because she misses me as much as I miss her, but she stays away from me because of what other people would think of her. I hope someday we can regain that closeness.

• Piph
    Piph

Just a brief update. :(

My ex-best friend just posted in her journal today...she doesn't have a computer anymore so she hardly gets a chance to. Anyway. It had been a long time since I'd heard anything from her...

Reading it just had to force me to accept that she might not ever leave the org. I'd really been hoping...but her diary entry sounds so brainwashed...she even said that they had the C.O this week and that she wished I could have been there because she really loved all the talks and knew I would too. I mean...he's a nice guy, but his talks have always been painful for me to hear, especially while I was still brainwashed.

Anyway. I guess it's another level of grief for me...I'm really going to have to let go of her in my mind. I try not to think about it too deeply or I just cry. Which would be good for me, I know, but it's just too painful now. I guess she's got to find a way to let go of me, too. Apparently she's hoping I'll come back. I'd have to be insane.

I'm trying to debate whether or not I should send her an email, and if so, when. I definitely don't feel ready to face those issues right now.

• alias
    alias

((((Piph)))) It's hard, I know. But it will get easier. Keep your heart open to your friend. Your love for her is an important part of your well-being. From her perspective, there's another story that we all understand. She's having an extremely difficult time too, and unfortunately, 'forced' to do something unnatural going against her instincts. I might have missed part of your story somewhere. I think I understand that your not da or df - did you just one day announce to your friends that you no longer wanted to be a JW? Was it before the wedding? Take care of yourself, piph. alias

• Sassy
    Sassy

Piph, I totally relate to what you are going through with your 'old' best friend.. I am exactly there with mine back home. We don't even converse any more because she says this girl before her that doesn't believe any more, she says she doesn't know and said "GOOD BYE".. I know she is sad too because she only wants me to return..

how could we return to something so hypocritical? How do we move past and away from those friends? without twisting the knife in our gut as we do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit