If a year is really 365 1/4 days why 360 days to calculate 1914

by blondie 52 Replies latest jw friends

• hyacinth
    hyacinth
    I was thinking about the same thing until I finally read that there is no evidence that Daniel 4 has a second fulfillment so it really doesn't matter does it? And with all the variables there is no way you can confidently come up with a year. And why should we be even trying? No one knows the day or the hour and Christ comes as a thief in the night! Contradicts having a date to go by. My sub-conscience knew this all along...
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Let's not forget:

in addition to lunar/solar/biblical year, you also need to arbitrarily correlate one inch per year when measuring the internal passages of the great pyramid of Giza in order to arrive at 1914 in the first place.

only then do you have to shoehorn 607 into the mix.

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

Adding onto this problem, the Jewish lunar calendar isn't strictly 360 days but rather 353, 354, or 355 days and every 7 years it's 383, 384 or 385 days. Months aren't 30 days each but could be either 29 or 30.

"The Jewish calendar is based on three astronomical phenomena: the rotation of the Earth about its axis (a day); the revolution of the moon about the Earth (a month); and the revolution of the Earth about the sun (a year). These three phenomena are independent of each other, so there is no direct correlation between them. On average, the moon revolves around the Earth in about 29½ days. The Earth revolves around the sun in about 365¼ days, that is, about 12 lunar months and 11 days.

To coordinate these three phenomena, and to accommodate certain ritual requirements, the Jewish calendar consists of 12 or 13 months of 29 or 30 days, and can be 353, 354, 355, 383, 384 or 385 days long. The keystone of the calendar is the new moon, referred to in Hebrew as the molad."

http://www.jewfaq.org/m/calendr2.htm

http://www.jewfaq.org/m/calendar.htm

• truthlover
    truthlover

Another thought - in the old testament - when a king died and another took his place, they give only the year not the months, throwing the count off even more.

They did go by the lunar year of 360 days and the calendar was only adjusted in roman times, was it not??

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Ok, thanks that seems to clarify things a little, about # of days in a year.
  • Mephis
    Mephis
    • They did go by the lunar year of 360 days and the calendar was only adjusted in roman times, was it not??

Lunar year is 354 days. So they added 7 extra months in every 19 year period to make it work out. So a Hebrew year was normally 354 days (12 x 29.5), but quite often was 384 days. When the trippy prophetic stuff was being written, that's the sort of Babylonian influenced calendar that they'd have been used to.

• prologos
    prologos
    There are "Human" years, "Dog" years, "Solar" years and Watchtower "Lunar-Solar" years.
    Wasanelder once upon a time , not to forget that as seen from the Pleiades, Russel's, heaven, a year has one more day, 266, then when counted by us. So, from "god's" viewpoint, the wt calculation is 7 years off, and that does not consider the 0 year missing, considered by wt a divine favour, that cinched the prophetic fit.
  • Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    I like turtles.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

If anyone is looking for a way to fade easily, you could do what I did by accident. In all sincerity I asked an Elder to come to my home and prove to me the 1914 doctrine, he said he would, but never did.

I honestly do not think many Elders could make a good fist of it, especially when you start of at the point I did, and Hyacinth above, that the fulfillment of the "prophecy" in Daniel Chapter 4 is right there in that Chapter !

1914 is simply not in the Bible, so as has been pointed out on here, 1919 has no significance, and therefore the Governing Body are self-appointed charlatans.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Looking at TD's post about Goudoever, I wonder, who was Goudoever and when was the book written? I don't remember seeing his name before.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the 360 figure in Adventist literature from the 1800's. Or maybe it was in Froome's SDA reference book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit