Early 70's JW POP Music: All Over, No wonder. By: The Great Crowd

by I quit! 14 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Going through a box of old records in my garage I came across this 45 by The Great Crowd. It was given to me in the early 70's when I was living in Crestline, CA. I had no way of playing it because I haven't had a turntable in years so I googled it and found this link. I hope the link I posted works.

https://soundcloud.com/resnikmusicgroup/the-great-crowd-all-over-no-wonder

• sparky1
  • steve2
    steve2

I'm looking forward to playing the link when I get back home. From the cover art, it promises to be real groovy!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow.

I remember us JW kids following a group called "The Great Crowd." Just at local weddings I think.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm not sure if it was the same group you're thinking about Dagney because I happen to know that you knew or still know someone that was in the group that did this record. It probably never came up in conversation because I heard that the Watchtower put the kibosh on it and also because of another sad circumstance.

The song on the other side of the 45 was Lola Lee and was secular and a better song.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

OH MY GOD!

That was amazing on so many levels! Thanks for sharing.

What a great snapshot of the huge ballad tracks of '71-73! Wow!
    I have never heard of this before.

BUT yes, they actually use "theocratic" language and terms!

#mindblown #groovy

• jaydee
    jaydee

Perhaps the A track, was a tribute to our own 'Lady Lee'.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd7JxgM0f2Y

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So maybe THIS track can be used by jwbroadcasting one month?

I mean, they have just used a "Barry White" esq sexy times track in the april broadcast! Now they can use this rip-off of "hair" ballad tracks!? or more like "age of Aquarius / let the sun shine in"!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjxSCAalsBE

• DNCall
    DNCall

Hi all. Haven't posted in a while but couldn't pass this up.

I was in that group. I played piano, sax and wrote the arrangements. The group was led by Phil Volk ("Fang" of Paul Revere and the Raiders). He wrote both songs. The group consisted of Phil singing lead and playing bass, three guitars, drums, five background singers, three horns, organ and piano. All were Witnesses and were indeed a "Great Crowd." Too many in my opinion, based on the theory that you are only as strong as your weakest link.

The record was released by my father on his record label, Lute Records. I have since inherited the label from him and have released digitally remastered tracks from his catalog as well as recently recorded material that I have produced. I have carefully avoided re-releasing The Great Crowd single in question.

You might be interested to know that several of us in the group were pretty drunk when we made the recording. One member, who was married to one of the background singers, left his wife for one of the other background singers, who then left him for somebody else, also a Witness. I'm afraid this crowd's white robes got a little sullied. The group's only public appearance was at Disneyland where we arranged to smuggle in some wine so as to be adequately prepped for our performance as per usual.

Fun times.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@DNCall... Off Topic but... Did you play at my wedding???

Please private message me with an email address. I can read my PM's but cannot answer them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit