When is it time to put down a pet?

by Mindchild 27 Replies latest jw friends

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

((((MindChild))))

That is a difficult decision to make. I trust you will make the right decision.

In the last 8 yrs I had to opportunity to say good bye to 2 dogs. That I dog and house sit for. I spend alot of time with them. Their owners had to put them down for health reason's.

On the last dog Lottie I bought her a vanilla Dairy Queen and spend some quality time with her. Grateful for the opportunity.

I did feel the void each time sat for them. They are down to one dog now.

It is a loss cause they give so much of themselves.Learn alot about loyalty.

Its okay to be sad.

My thoughts are with you.

Old Crow

• Nikita
    Nikita

((((((((((((((Mindchild & Skipper))))))))))))))))))

I don't think there can be one answer that works for every person with any particular pet. Every time I have had to make that decision it has been at different points, for different reasons depending on the pet. And ALWAYS I was racked with the "what if's" (no matter which way I decided!)

My first instinct is to say what JH has said. If the meds can comfort her for a little while longer and it gives you a chance to enjoy a little more time with her go for it!.

She certainly is a beauty!

Best wishes,

Nikita

• JH
  • Celia
    Celia

It is a difficult thing to do.... My 11 year old dog started to lose weight, went blind over a period of 6 months, started to wake me up 2 or 3 times every night asking me to let him go out to pee.... He never lost control of his bladder in the house, he just asked me to let him out... but being blind and weak, it was hard for him to get down the 3 steps on the back porch. I guess I grew tired of being unable to sleep all night for so long.... But the day I took him to the vet was horrible. I was devastated. 5 days later, I had adopted a new dog from the Humane Society...

• Maverick
    Maverick

I feel for you on this. Over the years I have had many animals from horses to ferrets. Loved them all, even the fish! It is hard to put them down or have then die on you. The best thing I have found is to get another pet before you lose the one you have. I now have two cats, and they are very young, (less than two years old). I remind myself that they will die. I enjoy them very much, but know that a time will come when they will not be young and they will get sick and die. I'm not morbid, but I hope many years from now, when I see that time approach I'll be at peace with it. I know it will still hurt, but the time I've enjoyed them will make it worth it! Maverick

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Awwww.... we get attached to our pets too. We had to put a cat down about 4 years ago because it got some blood disease (hemobart). The stupid thing is we probably could have saved our cat with a blood transfusion, but we were good dubs and apparently our cat was also willing to die for our beliefs.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

Your pet is a sweety, when she was mine, I would put her down when she (obvious) no longer enjoyed living (not earlier).

If possible, take a pup or an adult dog while she is living - it is what I did, with the result that I now have 3 dogs, te oldest 10 years (and sometimes limps due to old age)

wish you wisdom in your choice.

Branda

• Navigator
    Navigator

What a beautiful dog! I can imagine how close you must be to her and how much you love her. I'll bet she knows too. Personally, I would not allow her to suffer. Give her a really good day and let her go. You must allow yourself to grieve the loss. Getting a new pet right away could abort the grieveing process which you must go through. Putting a pet down is a really hard thing to do, but it is the loving thing to do.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I know exactly how you feel. Last February we had to put down our 10 year old Golden Retriever. He had a cancerous tumor that spread very quickly. It was very hard to do. I found a web site that helped me deal with the pain. It's www.petloss.com and they have a beautiful poem called Rainbow Bridge.

Devon

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

(((((((((Mindchild))))))))))))))

I went through this with our 13 year old Lab 2 weeks ago. Like you we spent the last year of his life back and forth to the vet to buy precious time with him with medications to make him comfortable. During that year we were not ready to part with our beloved friend and family member. But the last few weeks of his life he suffered so much trying to do the things he wanted to do, like just following me up the stairs and around the house but he just couldn't make it up off the floor without help with his back legs. The week we brought him to the vet for the last time he could no longer use even his front legs and we knew his quality of life had become unbearable for him and us. We finally felt it was emotionally easier to help him go than to keep him with us and watch him suffer. We went through this last year with his mother and will probably be facing it soon with our little pug as he is also becoming very helpless and weak. It hurts so much to part with them. My heart is with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit