When is it time to put down a pet?

by Mindchild 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Thank you all so much for your support and feedback. You have given me a lot to think about, but right now I'm way too emotional to think clearly.

Skipper

• rocketman
    rocketman

It's a rough thing to have to go through. Our very young pet beagle died back in 1983, and while she died before we had to act, it sure was a tough loss.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

It's sad, dude, but last year we put down our 16 YO Cocka-poo named Goober, a family staple. We raised him from a puppy, and I remember watching him being born.

On the final day, he stopped walking. We didn't know that he was in that much pain, because he was such a good dog. He never complained. The doc told us that he was probably in terrible pain for a year.

I wish we knew that at that time. He was only sometimes incontinent, and so we thought that the difficultly with stairs was just old age.

Sometimes the right thing is the difficult thing to do.

Good luck, man

ash

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Mindchild, I truly feel for you.

That picture of your beloved doggie, made my heart sink: she looks like a real darling.

The fact she has lived 14 years, tells me, you must be one hell of a great pet owner.

It is a difficult thing, having to weigh such options.

I can only convey my confidence in you, to make the 'best' decision.

When we lost our 15 year old cockatiel (Sammy) accidentally, we were devasted!!! We all cried for days, and it was all due to him playing; accidentally suffocated in a plastic shopping bag. When I found him, my heart had been ripped out. No more 'talking Sammy' or 'laughing Sammy'. Nonetheless, that very night, I trudged up to a good pet store, and bought another cockatiel. Thus, Sunshine came into our life.

I got to hang out with her at my old place tonight. She's now 4, and a real delight. She brightened up everyones day, when she came home that fateful night, after Sammy's passing.

Best thing we ever did. We not only got another bird, but one different than Sammy: female, very cuddly and all yellow with orange cheeks. She laid only 1 egg in 4 years, as I still think she thinks she's part human.

If by chance you do decide to put your sweetie doggie to sleep, I would suggest getting another dog. You wouldn't believe how therapeutic it will be. If possible, from your local Humane Society would be wonderful.

Sorry to read this Mindchild. I can so feel this hurt, even from where I am, right now.

(((Mindchild)))

• alfie
    alfie

Hi Mindchild,

I really feel for you in this situation. Several years ago we had to make the same decision as our fourteen year old cat Licorice was diagnosed with stomach cancer which is inoperable and terminal. Our options were much like yours in that medication would make her comfortable and relatively pain free.This was our baby as we'd had her since she was weaned, she was a gift to my wife and daughter, and I personally had known her and seen her virtually from the day she was born. It was for us an extremely difficult and painful decision, but we decided that if we medicated her,prolonging her life would be mostly for our benefit. I then worried that if we couldn't afford her medicine, her pain would be severe and that thought killed me. So I took her to the vet and he euthanized her.My wife wasn't there and later admitted she would have really been troubled. Myself, I cried for a long time and still get watery eyes when I look at "Licksie's" picture. I'm not going to tell you what to do as only you know your situation, but whatever you do, we'll be thinking of you feeling for you, and understanding your difficulty.

alfie

• kls
    kls

I put down my lab.friday.She started to limp so i took her to the vet expecting them to say it is just a sprain.The vet was not sure what is was so he suggested a x-ray.The news was not good ,it showed a huge mass of bone cancer in her leg.The vet suggested we could amputate the leg and try chemo and that might give her 6months.That was totally out of the question,she was 12 and i could not let her suffer.What is months and having to learn to walk on three legs.So thursday i brought her home and said my goodbys.Friday i took her in to be put to sleep.I have a Bassethound and a new puppy but the one taking it the hardest is my Basset.He always looks for her in rooms and goes outside to see if she is there.Goodby my sweet Midnight.

• morty
    morty

(((mindchild))))

what a tough decision you need to make..i do believe that it should be the one upstairs that makes that choice.I feel you should make him/her has comfortable has possiable...I went through this same thing when our shepherad was shot by a farmer...He had 85 bullets in him and he lived..(a buckshot)..For him to live through that,and still was determinted to walk and get around ,we thought we had know right to take his life when he was fighting to live......Our doggy lived through all that...He even made the locaL news and papers...After 2 months of spending a lot of money on him,getting him all better,one day we woke to him missing..Still to this day we do not know what ever became of him.....( are gut feeling was that he was shot again and the farmer did it the correct way..) We waited a month for him to come home but he did'nt...I dont know what was worse...him being shot and getting him better or not knowing where he went.....i can say we got another dog. He is the dummest thing we have ever owned but we love him......I think we just compare him to Burtus......nevertheless mindchild, I do know another dog will ease your pain in time......I am thinking about you at this difficult time.......((((((mindchild and family))))))))......please dont use your emotions to make your decision right now.....

wishing I could take your pain away, TIME WILL HEAL.....

michelle

• waiting
    waiting

Damn. We pet owners. We fall in love with them more than they do us sometimes.

I think it's proper to put down an animal - for the same reasons the others have given.

My beautiful white 125 lb German Shepherd named Blue. He had a murmur in his heart, vet said no big deal, but..........then Blue got an infection/something in his blood system that just wouldn't clear up. $500.00 later, and he looked even worse, I finally agreed, put him to sleep.

The big damned dog was sitting on the vet's lowered table with his huge head laying on my shoulder. I told the vet to bill me, walked out, sat on the curb and just bawled.

He was the best and it wasn't fair to let him suffer.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit