Da Vinci Code--Anyone Read It?

by patio34 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• patio34
    patio34

I just finished The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. Fascinating! Has anyone read it? It has SO much about religion and its domination of women and possibly why. There's a lot I'd like to look up, but was hoping someone else has found some interesting things about it.

I actually was at the Louvre Museum 2 weeks ago, but didn't get to see the painting referred to in the book (Madonna on the Rocks).

There's also a great line in the book: A gentleman never deprives a lady of a climax. Cute, isn't it?

Cheers!

Pat

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

My daughter is currently reading this and will pass it along to me when she is done. So I'm putting my fingers in my ears and not listening until I get a chance to read it myself!

btw, didn't you LOVE the Louvre!!!!! We can talk about that when you come, Patio!

Hugs,

j2bf

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    A gentleman never deprives a lady of a climax.

Well, maybe for 30 seconds or so?

• blondie
    blondie

I have it on reserve at the library. Sounds interesting.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I just read it and, in fact, recommended it on another thread that was discussing Jesus as a feminist. I, too, found it to be a very interesting read and recommend it.

Jackie

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Both my husband and I have read this book (loaned to us by a friend who recommended it). It's fantastic!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Haven't read it, but it is on my short list of books I want to read. This thread has bumped it up to number 1 or 2.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

The Da Vinci code will hit the big screen

http://www.chud.com/news/oct03/oct02davinci.php3

By
    Devin Faraci
    Contributing sources:
    Variety

In his new monthly column for Entertainment Weekly, Stephen King took a huge shit all over the bestseller The DaVinci Code. Now the book is being turned into a movie, written by Akiva Goldsman and directed by Ron Howard. A movie that will probably be better than about 90% of Stephen King movies.

The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown, pretty much reworks stuff that?s really familiar to anyone who is into conspiracies and forteana, specifically the mystery of a treasure supposedly located in a small French church ? a treasure that many believe to be the Holy Grail, and a secret that hides the continued bloodline of Christ. Essentially Brown has taken the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and rewritten it as a by the numbers thriller.

The last time Goldsman and Howard worked together they churned out the treacly awards magnet A Beautiful Mind. Howard will direct the DaVinci Code as soon as he is done with fellow Beautiful Minder Russell Crowe in The Cinderella Man.

• patio34
    patio34

Thanks Devon for that news. The first 100 pages of the book seemed slow, but it was so enthusiastically recommended, i persevered. Then it really took off. It's full of "conspiracies and forteana" (as the article said) and really puts a spin on the Christian religion.

One thing tho, is that it ignores the misogynistic tendencies of the OT religion. Didn't you think so, WolfG and Silence?

Pat

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I thought it was a really fun book. Very exciting in the middle, but I was a little disappointed by the last few chapters. It felt like Brown wrote himself into a corner and his final solution was a little predictable.

**************SPOILERS*****************SPOILERS*****************

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It's an interesting and fun what-if. I've heard the theory before that Jesus and Mary Magadelene were married. In fact there was just an episode on the Discovery Channel about just that theory, except they spun it that Jesus and Mary were just very close. Anyway, I thought it was fascinating at the thought that Da Vinci might have had clues or hidden meanings into his works of art. I have heard before that this is so, but it was interesting the clues, real or imagined, that Dan Brown saw in the Last Supper. I'm still not sure that person is Mary, frankly many of the disciples look effiminate but I did find it interesting that Peter was making such an angry gesture toward him/her as well as the knife. Who was holding the knife?

I think it shows how far we've come in society that this book could be written and made into a movie. When I was a child I doubt seriously that would happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit