More cracks in the dam - WTS pleading for elders "in their early 20s"

by FFGhost 40 Replies latest jw friends

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

and the Son of God hasn't been even baptized till his 30...

True. But they did not have the "governing body" back then to whisper directions in god's ear.

• Gorb
    Gorb

CO's overhere in Holland are +/- 30 years old.

Last time I visited such a meeting, was thinking why should I listen to such a young script reader.

G.

• dozy
    dozy

That's a big change (the elder's age requirement change). It was always the case that 30 was (unofficially) the minimum age to be appointed - I remember several well qualified JWs who patiently had to wait till their 30th birthday before being made up as an elder.

Although never officially stated , I think Timothy was often cited as he was in his 30's when recommended by Paul and of course Jesus who was baptised when 30. Very occasionally a slightly younger guy was made an elder but that was very much the exception. My cousin was appointed when he was 28 and even that was really unusual even though he was a pioneer / Kingdom Construction worker & very zealous JW.

Appointing elders in their "early 20's" does seem a sign of desperation for people to take responsibility in the congregation and is somewhat stretching the definition of an "older man"!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    There was a time in the '50's and '60s that they appointed 20-somethings as Congregation Servants and even Circuit Overseers. Maybe they are going back to that
  • waton
    waton
    stretching the definition of an "older man"!

D in french it sounds even more appropriate" les anciens" . wt should create a new category

middling middle managers. in clearspeak.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

30 is the traditional age of maturity, according to the bible. Numbers4:3 is often cited and of course Jesus being 30 before he starts his ministry.

I don't care how 'mature' a jw in his early 20s may seem, or how much preaching he has done, you simply have not been through enough sh1t to give practical advice to an adult going through serious problems. At best, you could give someone a pep talk, but anyone can do that. Even if you have had a tough time growing up and had adverse experiences, you need years after that to process and learn from what you have been through, in order to help others.

At that age, you would be embarrassing yourself.

• SadElder
    SadElder

I was 21 or 22 when the elder arrangement went into effect having already been the Bible Study Servant. Gave first public talk just before I turned 18.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Appointing elders in their "early 20's" does seem a sign of desperation for people to take responsibility in the congregation and is somewhat stretching the definition of an "older man"! ''

& when you have some young punk up there telling people 1/3 his age what they can and can't do, and shouldn't do. Seems funny.

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Imma need a source for this.

• waton
    waton
    & when you have some young punk up there telling people 1/3 his age BS:

you misspoke, you must have meant 5 time his/ her*** age, now on zoom, right in your living room, makes you livid.

20 year old admonishes 100 year old overlapper of the david Slane group generation.

*** ladies now speak with more force, full screen, talking down to all. nose high in the air, warts and all.

comedy of the unholy ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit