Self Driving Vehicles

by TD 21 Replies latest social current

• TD
    TD

Here's an example of what I mean by the finer points of traffic law.

(Disclaimer: This is specific to my state. Your laws may be different.)

Here where I live, the Frontage / Access / Service road is not just another surface street.

As the names imply, the purpose of this road is to service the freeway.

Traffic exiting the freeway onto the service road has the right of way, even in a lane change.

Traffic on the service road is alerted to this fact by both a yield sign and a band of isosceles triangles, letting you know you're entering into an area of cross-traffic:

This seems to be too complicated a concept for self driving vehicles, perhaps because it is an inversion of the normal rule.

To be fair though, a lot of human drivers don't understand this either and when it becomes a problem, (i.e. Enough accidents have occurred) the yield sign will be replaced with a full stop:

• hoser
    hoser
    it will make it easier to rob the beer truck if there isn’t a driver.
  • silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

My buddy down the street had one for 3 months. He traded it and purchased a land rover. He said that there were continuous software updates which rendered the vehicle like an iPhone going through an upgrade.

He said the auto lane changing and switching was not something he felt comfortable with and when he found out that repairs were not only expensive, but after owning the car for 1 month he had to take it in. They literally pulled parts off another vehicle to get the parts.

He did actually like acceleration.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't know how they can possibly be programmed to drive in a city (think New York, Boston, Washington DC, Miami, etc.). You HAVE to drive like an ass or you will never get anywhere. You need to take chances, be aggressive and at times play chicken with other drivers when pulling out in front of someone. Otherwise, walking would get you to your destination faster.

Maybe driving in the rural Midwest or something would work to a point but anywhere there is a lot of traffic I don't see it happening.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

He traded it and purchased a land rover.

SilentB ...

Not to pee on your neighbor's parade, but he will likely have the Land Rover back in the shop about as often. My neighbor had one for about a year and the crane was there to take it away at least twice that I saw due to an electrical issue and a starter that kept shorting out. He was tired of the check engine light coming on all the time.

He traded it in on a Lexus SUV about two years ago and couldn't be happier.

Rub a Dub

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Among the benefits of being an "ancient worthless" as I am (other than the incontrovertible facts of wisdom and mature manly good looks) is my perfect recall of prehistoric events.

One such event occurred on July 21, 1956, when the US TV series "Science Fiction Theatre" broadcast the episode titled "The Phantom Car (Season 2, Episode 14)" which explored just this subject. It was MAGNIFICENT!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

As I`ve said previously NO and now at my age I won`t even use cruise control on a freeway at my age ,I don`t fancy running into anything @ 100 Kph if I should unexpectrdly have a health issue.

Safer for me and everybody else ,

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I liked Simon's expert opinion on computer capabilities and , like others , I cannot see this happening . People love the independence of driving how they want. When out on the road some like to drive fast,others are happy at just a reasonable speed ....that is human nature. How many would be happy just allowing the machine to do it?

Now an electric car with zero emissions ? That's different.

• LV101
    LV101

I agree with BluesBro re/Simon's views and hear negatives at home re/Tesla. I ducked voting to buy their stock few summers ago in my stock club when Tesla was recommended buy from couple research cos - Walmart had even purchased Tesla big cabs (seems like about 20) for future use. I'm seeing more and more Teslas on the roads --new ones look good but not real comfortable around them. I'd be afraid to test drive one now. Have heard they aren't a smooth ride (or few yrs. ago that was case) but run so quiet.

Don't even like cruise control on I-15 -- or anywhere.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Simon9 days agoIt's all BS - the whole AI movement has been hyped beyond all sense, computers just don't have intelligence and anyone claiming they do is a fraud

You have no idea what your talking about. Again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit