Self Driving Vehicles

by TD 21 Replies latest social current

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think it's a splendid Idea............If your a drunk. Get the car started.......... punch in your address............. crawl in the back and pass out.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Driverless haul trucks have been used successfully in certain open-cut mining operations.

Rio Tinto initiated a trial program as far back as 2013, using ten driver-less trucks at one of its Western Australian iron ore mines. More recently, BMA announced plans to begin introducing these vehicles on a large scale.

https://www.australianmining.com.au/news/bhp-to-roll-out-autonomous-trucks-at-qld-coal-mine/

It would have to be said, however, that these trucks are used in a very straightforward way:

i.e. From the face, to the stockpiles - hoist up, hoist down - then returning to the face for reloading. This comprises a round trip of only a few kilometres per time, and for human operators, is mind numbingly boring work (particularly as the existing fleet of mine trucks is semi-automated, anyway).

To attempt to use fully automated vehicles for more involved driving, though, may well be a different matter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit