Do you still want to be identified as a Christian?

by eyeuse2badub 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Most Americans want some form of religious identity - Even atheists are creating churches

By J. Warner Wallace | Fox News

The number of self-proclaimed Christians is shrinking in America.

I’ve been collecting data on this trend for over 10 years, and the surveys reveal an important truth: Fewer people claim a Christian affiliation than ever before, and those who claim no religious affiliation are the fastest growing group in America.

But while fewer people may belong to Christian churches or communities, Americans will likely retain some form of religious identity – especially if what’s happening in Europe is an indicator of things to come.

A new Pew Forum survey conducted in Western Europe reveals that Christianity is waning there even faster than it is in the United States. And while “most adults surveyed (in Western Europe) still do consider themselves Christians,” the vast majority of them don’t attend church services.

“In the United Kingdom, for example, there are roughly three times as many non-practicing Christians (55%) as there are church-attending Christians (18%).”

Despite this trend in Europe, Christian symbols are increasingly seen in many countries. A recent article described this phenomenon, citing an order “to hang a cross in the entrance of every state building in Bavaria.”

Religious symbols “are making a powerful comeback” in Germany as well, even though Christianity is in decline. One official “insisted that the ‘cross is not a sign of religion’ but of identity and culture.”

Why do so many Europeans still “consider themselves Christians, even if they seldom go to church?”

In some countries (like Germany), it may simply be a reaction to the fact Europe has “opened its doors to more than a million migrants, many from predominantly Muslim countries.”

But something else may also be responsible for our hesitancy to jettison religion altogether, both in Europe and America. We may just be innately religious.

Even those Americans who have abandoned Christian churches, for example, find themselves searching for an adequate replacement.

“Atheist churches,” have been formed across the country, aiming to “offer some features of a religious congregation (fellowship, collective enjoyment, a stimulus to moral behavior).” These congregations meet on Sundays and some “include ‘Sunday School’, where children go while parents attend ‘services.’”

When asked if these “atheist churches” could be described as a form of religion, the founder of the Seattle Atheist Church responded with a “definite ‘yes.’”

It appears that Americans, particularly millennial Americans, “are not abandoning organized religion to become secular, science-loving humanists.” Instead, many millennials who have rejected Christianity still “believe in the soul, divine energy, (and) mystical realities.”

In fact, a recent American Pew Research Center study found that of those who claim no religious affiliation, 17 percent still said they believed in the God as described in the Bible, and 53 percent said they believed in a higher power or spiritual force.

Even 18 percent of self-proclaimed atheists said they believed in some kind of higher spiritual power. Pew continues to find that religiously non-affiliated Americans “are as religious as – or even more religious than – Christians in several European countries, including France, Germany, and the U.K.”

So, while we Americans may report that we’re less likely to identify ourselves with Christianity, we haven’t yet rejected many core supernatural beliefs common to the faith, nor have we resisted our predisposition to form communities that resemble traditional congregations. Try as we might, it won’t be easy to abandon our religious identity.

just saying!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would rather be with Satan (and be accepted by Him) than to be associated with jesus krayst. That whole LIE-ble is full of black magic to enslave the whole human race, and it is blatant who is behind this just from reading the recurring theme. That damnation book even openly says that "The Gentile Times have ended". What could that possible mean? Damnation?

Blatant philo-Semitism aside, the doctrines are terrible. Infinite forgiveness for those who do things on purpose intended to ruin your life? Teaching me to be the perfect slave? Teaching that having wealth is wrong? Having someone deciding for me what is wrong or right regarding sex? (And yes, that damnation book is openly homophobic, just for the record). The essence of the Sermon of the Mount is how to be the perfect slave, and is essentially communism. Why would I want that in my life? And why would I want to donate my soul's energy toward enslaving the whole human race?

• zophar
    zophar
    And why would I want to donate my soul's energy toward enslaving the whole human race?

And aligning yourself with Satan wouldn't do that?

• Ireneus
    Ireneus

My friend was saying priests, bishops, and even Cardinals in his homeland are filing case against each other in secular courts giving the impression that religious leaders are not able to sort out simple problems among themselves which raises the question: How can they be of any help to laymen?

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

"When asked if these “atheist churches” could be described as a form of religion, the founder of the Seattle Atheist Church responded with a “definite ‘yes.’" - J. Warner Wallace, Fox News.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    “In the United Kingdom, for example, there are roughly three times as many non-practicing Christians (55%) as there are church-attending Christians (18%).”

When I last looked at the statistics, UK church attendance was around 4.8% of the population and dropping. 18% would have been back in the glory days. Religion is not big over here.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Actually no I do not want to be identified as a Christian nor an Atheist because I don't really care if there is a god or not. However 'not' makes more sense.

I identify as a Humanist:

• Whynot
    Whynot

I still lean towards Christ. But I have also found the beauty in Eastern religions, philosophy and spirituality in general. I actually like the idea of an atheist "church" lol. It sounds fun!

I just don't believe that we need the Bible or religion to have a rewarding life and be the best version of ourselves. But I do have the need to find like-minded people. The need for support and community.

I live in the Bible belt and pretty much EVERYONE goes to church on Sundays. Everyone is religious and they own god lol. I wouldn't attend any churches around here but an atheist church sounds interesting.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I think the data in the initial post is skewed a bit.
    In my humble opinion, Americans desirous of a religious identity are not increasing in numbers.
    American Football is the Sunday religion here.

Polls suggesting high numbers of "believers" are about those who will say it, but don't really live it. Heck, a higher power could be the aliens who helped build the pyramids.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    eyeusetobe: Why do so many Europeans still “consider themselves Christians, even if they seldom go to church?”
    In some countries (like Germany), it may simply be a reaction to the fact Europe has “opened its doors to more than a million migrants, many from predominantly Muslim countries.”

Actually, no. That is just another one of those 'politico-mythic' devices picked up by religious type people to divert the reality of why people in Germany "seldom go to church". It has nothing to do with immigration of Muslims and everything to do with economics

Read this:

Compulsory income tax on Christians drives Germans away from Protestant and Catholic churches

"Up to 400,000 Germans officially filed declarations to leave the Protestant and Catholic Church after a decision to extend the 8 or 9 per cent charge to capital gains income"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit