Im Writing An Ex-JW Self Help Book

by pale.emperor 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

We all know waking up from the cult and trying to leave is a very scary and life changing experience. For many it's traumatic and few find the transition easy.

We have to deal with families cutting us off entirely or keeping us at arms length at best, lies being told about us by the organization, ex members gossiping about us and finding ourselves in a world very different from what we're prepared for.

For this reason, I've decided to start writing a self-help book informing JWs of what to expect when they leave the org. I'll be explaining what will happen, why, how to deal with it, how to behave when you first leave, the mental processes you're likely to go through, where to find support and digging into the elders letters and Shepherd book so they can see that trying to make them feel miserable is orchestrated by Watchtower.

I'm not sure about the title yet but some ideas are:

• What To Expect When You Wake Up.
    • What To Expect When You Leave The Jehovah's Witnesses
    • How To Cope After Leaving The Jehovah's Witnesses
    • Wide Awake!

For a few weeks now I've been writing notes in a little notepad i carry around with me about ex-JW problems we face, the reason those problems are there and how i (or others) managed to deal with them. I've found that if i i dont write them down i quickly forget them.

One thing that i noticed about 3 weeks after leaving was that many JWs looked for reasons to hate me. They were shunning me and because they didn't know why they had to justify it in their minds so they would bring things up that happened years ago or create rumors.

By the way, the book will be FREE. I'm planning on releasing it digitally to make sure it can be easily distributed and shared.

My psychology degree studies are really helping. I'm used to backing up claims with references, making academic arguments and leaving emotion at the door. Although the last one can be a challenge when dealing with a subject so close to my heart.

I reckon it'll be done before Dec 2018.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

A very good idea P.E.

Perhaps you could also prepare another equally important self-help guide - one which helps prevent people joining the cult of the WTBTS in the first place. That would save so much grief and trauma. It's better to deter someone from walking into a minefield, as opposed to helping them recover from traumatic injuries.

As any active/inactive JW will tell you, seeing the name "Jehovah" displayed anywhere always piques the interest and curiosity. I'd ensure it was included in the title.

Titles? "Surviving the Jehovah's Witness Minefield", and "How to Avoid the Jehovah's Witness Minefield."

All the best with your commendable work.

• cofty
    cofty

Fantastic idea!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

P.E. what a great idea you have. I wish you great success on your project. My wife and I since leaving the Borg do teaching classes on backyard wild herbs and gardening. I mention this because we found the KISS method is the best teaching tool to help people understand the subject material. Can't wait to see what you bring out in your future book. Good luck to you on your project. Still Totally ADD

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

I look forward to reading it!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, that's awesome. Writing was very important to my self-help.
    I wish you well, look forward to reading it.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Great idea! I vote for the third title because it's easily understandable. You could also do a combination of #4-#3.

Wide Awake! - How to Cope After Leaving Jehovah's Witnesses

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I will keep my eye out for it, download it to my kindle ( of course read it even though it does not pertain to me personally) so it will be available for my husband to "run across" to be read if he is so inclined.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What Follows When You Are AWAKE! From Watchtower

• Giordano
    Giordano

How about:

Lazarus Died Twice........ So Will Many Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit