Jw shot and killed in field service!

by nowwhat? 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is this urban myth that JWs are told that their lives will be protected in God’s service. It is obvious that it does not happen and neither are they promised that.. If some dubs want to believe it , it is up to them . This is a long passage but shows my point. I certainly do not share their strange logic about God’s purpose but here it is:-

Awake ,96 4/8

“To understand why divine protection is given, we must understand that it is given not simply to enable individuals to live longer but to protect something far more important, the outworking of God’s purpose. For example, the survival of the Christian congregation as a whole is guaranteed because it is closely linked with the fulfilling of that purpose. However, Christ plainly told his disciples that they as individuals could face death because of their faith. After stating this, Jesus stressed, not miraculous deliverance, but ‘endurance to the end.’ (Matthew 24:9, 13) The fact that some individuals were protected, while others were not, does not indicate that God is partial. God simply used the person who was in the best position to accomplish his purpose, which ultimately will benefit all mankind.

Since untimely death in God’s service is a real possibility, Christians should have the same balanced attitude as …………”

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I'm very sad to hear about this. A life lost. Someone who had the best of intentions but is now gone.

I thought I'd heard of another story like this too.

Of course, the Watchtower Corporation(tm) will not care one iota. As long as TOMO3rd can drink his whiskey and stagger around all day slurring his words in a drunken stupor, the Corporation(tm) won't care.

It saddens me, it honestly does.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

This is an horrible story. I can't imagine the pain brought to the family that day. What was the motive? Religious hatred? Personal hatred? A gang initiation ritual? Random killing just for fun? If it was hatred, was it due to personal experience? Irrational prejudice? Without the perpetrator, we don`t know. Until then. we assume the most likely cause: `religious hatred`.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    Without the perpetrator, we don`t know. Until then. we assume the most likely cause: `religious hatred`.

Not to sound contrary but I'd assume religious hatred to be about the least likely motive. Far more likely a random drive-by shooting or mistaken identity.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I agree the WT has not made any guarantee of safety, they just relish stories of divine protection. A favorite in our circuit was from an older elder who claimed he was shoved off the porch by angels just before a pot of boiling water was thrown at him.

Scores of passages in the Bible similarly speak of protection and refuge for worshippers while at the same time glorifying the death and suffering of the same. Word salad.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

They just 'sell' stories of Divine protection.

They don't really talk about these tragedies. Makes them look bad.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Nothing to see here. Just another democratic city sinking in crime infested waters.

Not to worry though, the brilliant citizens of Rockford Illinois will continue to vote for the party that is anti-police, supporter of criminals, negates personal responsibility, excuses personal failures with systemic issues, and spends the lion's share of their time racializing everything under the sun, and forcing equity by reducing standards.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I must agree with Peaceful Pete here. My attitude was not intended to be supportive of WTS , just clarifying things. While they do not teach daily divine protection they do love to give accounts from the Bible and modern “experiences” that suggest Godly care. It is no wonder that people get the wrong idea.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit