Jesus came in 1874 and then changed to 1914, no problem, per FDS

by garybuss 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    and their word will spread like gangrene

Call me silly but, I didn't know they had gangrene in those days.

Thanks for posting that scripture farkman. I think I will bookmark that one.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Farkel, you posted:

Therefore, either God prefers apostates (by virtue of going against the very words in his own Bible) to bring mankind to salvation, or God never chose them at all: they are liars.

Which conclusion makes the most sense?

I think if this was a movie, this is about where Dorothy wakes up and realizes it was all a dream.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Gary.

The "no meat eating thing" as you call it, is pure Ellen G White. Adventists are obsessed with Ellen G White. Mrs White espoused vegetarianism and so, because every word she ever uttered came to be viewed as a divine revelation, well, her views on health became doctrine as well.

If you go to an Adventist meeting or read Adventist books you will observe a most peculiar phenomena. To wit: Constant reference to what Ellen G White wrote. I think it fair to say that Adventists reference White vastly more than they reference the Bible, and their obsession is to constantly look at everything thru an EG White filter. Its most interesting reading their publications and watching them reinterprete things, shift blame for false prophecy to a scapegoat, and demonstrate that EG White predicted the "new revelation" all along. Their motto is "Ellen G White- is always right".

Their favourite scapegoat is an old and famous adventist called Uriah Smith. Uriah Smith is scapegoated as responsible for much of the false prophecy and error taught, while Ellen White remains lily white and unimpeachable. Practically all of the founding fathers of the church have been scapegoated at sometime or other to protect the image of the prophet. Adventists call her: "The Spirit of Prophecy"

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks RF, What's your take on the SDA connection to the year 1874? Or was that a splinter group that came up with that year's prophecy?

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I might see if I can put something together on that one Gary. Leave it with me a while and i'll look thru my books. It wont be till later though cause im going to worship soon. lol.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Aye, to go back in time to Allegheny Pennsylvania, circa 1870's.

"Hi Charles, I'm from the year 2003. I live in a world that you could not possibly imagine. But, to date, there has been no Rapture of the Saints, no Armageddon, nothing. So forget about your looney religious ideas, and do something more worthwhile, like invent Miracle Wheat."

• barry
    barry

Being the only Adventist here I beleive Refiner has the best grasp on Adventist beleif. The 1844 event to Adventists is the great dissappointement When they beleived jesus would come no SDAs beleive anything of an invisible comming in 1874 this was a splinter group.

The SDAs have reinterpreted the 1844 event as being the beginning of the investigative judgement where the books of record are examined to determine who will be saved.

All adventists now beleive the second comming is in the future and a visible event.

The investigative judgement in 1844 is seen as the antitype of the day of atonement in the jewish system.

Today only the very conservative SDAs beleive in the investigative judgement as it was originally taught no SDA theologan will put his name to such an idea. The mainstream members while giveing lip service to the doctrine understand it in a far more gospel way because most beleive when a person becomes a christian he passes from death to life.

While I go to a mainstream church I support 'Good News Unlimited a splinter group of Adventists who have left such doctrine as an investigative behind in the dustbin of failed doctrine.

In fact there are many such splinter groups in adventism But much of the conflict between differing groups is now in the past. Barry

• garybuss
    garybuss

All wrong! Poor Charles, poor Joe, poor Nathan, poor Fred, poor Milton, poor . . . .ah, . . . .who's the top guy now?

Thanks RF.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Thanks Barry! You saved RF and me a bunch of time. The Adventist group has evolved over time then. It makes for an interesting study for me.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well Gary, wading thru the material Ive got, it appears there was an expectation regarding the year 1851 which of course is 7 years after Christ enterted the Most holy of the "sanctuary" in Heaven. As this turned out to be a false expectation, Ellen G White is denied as ever having been involved in its being put forth as a possible "return" date. The best reference book Ive got: "Ellen G White and her critics" by Nichol (an Adventist apologist) Quotes from a pamphlet published by Bates (A founding Father of adventism) called: "An explanation of the typical and antitypical sanctuary" in which it is held that Christ will minister in the Most Holy 7 years before all the sins of Advent believers were redeemed fully and then He would return to earth to exact vengeance upon the wicked at Armaggedon. As I said before, a scapegoat is needed to accept responsibility for error (EG White being incapable of such) and this time it is Captain Bates. Of course, in a reading given in June 1850, (recorded in "Early Writings") Mrs White did say: "Now time is almost finished and what we have been years learning, they will have to learn in a few months". Which possibly indicates that she DID expect the end very soon thereafter.

I seem to recall an expectation revolving around the year 1884 also, which would be curious,as it is 40 years after the Sanctuary entry. Possible parallels to 29CE/ 70CE there? I must look and make sure.

I dont recall ANY mention of the year 1874 at all in Sabbatarian Adventism. So Im inclined to think it was purely the product of the breakaway group, who commenced their parallel calculations with 1844 equaling the year zeroCE ( or thereabouts) .... And Barry agrees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit