Jesus came in 1874 and then changed to 1914, no problem, per FDS

by garybuss 51 Replies latest watchtower bible

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

In January, 1876, when he was 23 years old, Russell received a copy of The Herald of the Morning, an Adventist magazine published by Nelson H. Barbour of Rochester, New York. One of the distinguishing features of Barbour's group at that time was their belief that Christ returned invisibly in 1874, and this concept presented in The Herald captured Russell's attention. It meant that this Adventist splinter group had not remained defeated, as others had, when Christ failed to appear in 1874 as Adventist leaders had predicted; somehow this small group had managed to hold onto the date by affirming that the Lord had indeed returned at the appointed time, only invisibly.

Was this mere wishful thinking, coupled with a stubborn refusal to admit the error of failed chronological calculations? Perhaps, but Barbour had some arguments to offer in support of his assertions. In particular, he came up with a basis for reinterpreting the Second Coming as an invisible event: In Benjamin Wilson's Emphatic Diaglott translation of the New Testament the word rendered coming in the King James Version at Matthew 24:27, 37, 39 is translated presence instead. This served as the basis for Barbour's group to advocate, in addition to their time calculations, an invisible presence of Christ.

Although the idea appealed to young Charles Taze Russell, the reading public apparently refused to 'buy' the story of an invisible Second Coming, with the result that N. H. Barbour's publication The Herald of the Morning was failing financially. In the summer of 1876 wealthy Russell paid Barbour's way to Philadelphia and met with him to discuss both beliefs and finances. The upshot was that Russell became the magazine's financial backer and was added to the masthead as an Assistant Editor. He contributed articles for publication as well as monetary gifts, and Russell's small study group similarly became affiliated with Barbour's.

Russell and Barbour believed and taught that Christ's invisible return in 1874 would be followed soon afterward, in the spring of 1878 to be exact, by the Rapture-the bodily snatching away of believers to heaven. When this expected Rapture failed to occur on time in 1878, The Herald's editor, Mr. Barbour, came up with "new light" on this and other doctrines. Russell, however, rejected some of the new ideas and persuaded other members to oppose them. Finally, Russell quit the staff of the Adventist magazine and started his own. He called it Zion's Watch Tower and Herald of Christ's Presence and published its first issue with the date July, 1879. In the beginning it had the same mailing list as The Herald of the Morning and considerable space was devoted to refuting the latter on points of disagreement, Russell having taken with him a copy of that magazine's mailing list when he resigned as assistant editor.

I stand corrected, I meant Nelson Barbour, William Miller was 1844, thanks mizpah !!!!!!

Now when you read the above article, isn't it very similar to what the JW's believed regarding Christ's invisible presence in 1914 ??? Did Rutherford simply copy the idea and change the date to 1914 ??? I would say YES.

what do you think ?????

• mizpah
    mizpah

run don't walk:

According to Penton's Apocalypse Delayed, Russell had already formulated the idea of Christ's invisible presence in the heavens before meeting Barbour. Not only had he been influenced by the writings of Storrs and Stetson, but also by people like Joseph Seiss, a Lutheran pastor and editor of Prophetic Times. What Russell accepted from Barbour upon their meeting in 1876 was the prophetic "time line" that set 1874 as Christ's invisible coming. It fit nicely into Russell's prophetic chronology. Russell gave Barbour financial support and both published Three Worlds and the Harvest of this World. While Russell was heavily influenced by his association with Second Adventists, I have never read anything about him being influenced by the Seventhday Adventists. Garybus: Do you have any more information that would confirm this?

Rutherford, on the other hand, probably saw the error of Russell's calculations. Since many of the "Bible Students" were disappointed in the failure of Russell's predictions (and many left the organization at the time) Rutherford took the basic teachings of Russell (invisible "parousia") but placed them upon a different time sequence. Instead of 1914 being the final "end" he made it the date of Christ's coming in the heavens and the "beginning of the end." Armageddon was to be a near future event. Focus was taken away from Russell's failure by Rutherford's emphasis that the "ancient worthies" were to be resurrected on earth around 1925.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Garybus:

I don't believe that Seventhday Adventist teach the "invisible coming of Christ." When William Miller predicted Christ coming in 1844, many of his followers were disappointed and disillusioned. But some went back to the Bible to see where they went wrong. The Seventhday Adventists came to the conclusion that it was the "wrong event and the right time." Thus, they said that instead of Christ coming in 1844 that he was "tarrying in the heavens" preparing for a future coming on earth.

The SDAs still believe in a literal and visible coming of Christ in the future. But they do hold to Miller's date as the time of "tarrying" they still look forward to Christ's coming.

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

At least the Seventh Day Adventists allow their people to have a life while they are "tarrying."

The latest from our leaders is that we are to be "ministers" 24/7, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, and should always dress "appropriately" even at home, so as to be able to preach at a moment's notice. We have no life, except to preach.

A Seventh Day Adventist church where I live has built housing for the elderly. What do Witnesses do with our elderly? Pat them on the back and send them away without even the watch. Any who have "put the kingdom first" are likely to have little else than promises as they face their "golden" years.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm not sure if this fits, but it is my understanding that Ellen G White did teach that Christ did return invisibly in 1843(4) and Russell was taught by those taught by her. I'm not sure what the current SDA view on this invisible return is. Any input here is appreciated.

Like others who set dates for the return of Christ, notably William Miller, Russell concluded that the prophecy must be right for the return of Christ in 1874 and therefore, being that Christ could not visibly be seen at that time, Russell deducted He must be invisibly present. He never could bring himself to the conclusion that perhaps he and those who preceded him regarding the return of Christ might be wrong . Take for example William Miller (1782-1849), who was involved with the Adventist movement. Miller, ?concluded that Christ would return to this earth to cleanse with fire the sanctuary mentioned in Daniel 8:14; that this return would be in 1843? (The Wycliffe Biographyical Dictionary of the Church, Elgin S. Moyer, Chicago: Moody Bible Inst: 1982, p. 275). One offshoot of this movement was the Seventh Day Adventist denomination. One important figure in this movement was Ellen G. White. She claimed that Christ?s return did not involve an earthly sanctuary but rather a heavenly one and that, ?Christ did come in 1843 to cleanse this sanctuary? (Wycliffe, p. 275).

http://www.nowthink.com/lords_return.htm

• mizpah
    mizpah

Ohappyday:

I agree with you. There is much to admire in the SDA church. Some of their hospitals and care facilities are the best in the country. And they live a quiet Christian life devoted to helping their neighbors. We had neighbors who were members. They were fine and decent Christian people.

I never could agree with their sabbath (Saturday) doctrine or with their emphasis on vegetarianism. Ellen White was a controversial leader (prophetess) of the movement. And they have also been beset by dissidents. (David Koresh of the Branch Davidians was a former member.)

It's hard to realize that Jehovah's Witnesses are "distant spiritual cousins" to this Adventist group by virtue of William Miller, the father of the Adventist movement.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Garybus:

I think you are correct in saying that the SDAs believe that Christ did appear in the heavenly sanctuary in 1843/44.(Thus, the "tarrying" before the big event.) But this must not be confused with their belief in the second coming of Christ on earth which they still believe is a future event. In their belief system, this is to be a literal and visible return.

I think what was probably "borrowed" from the SDAs in the Watchtower Society was the idea of wrong expectations. Adventists reasoned that as Millerites they had been looking for the wrong event (second coming of Christ) at the right time (Christ's appearance in the sanctuary). But the Bible Students thought in reverse that the right event (Christ's second coming) occurred in 1874 but their previous expectations (a visible coming) were wrong since it was an invisible "parousia" in the heavens.

• garybuss
    garybuss

And that brings us to 2003 about to close and both SDA,s and JW's are still waiting and nothing they predicted happened visibly. Thanks for the helpful posts and the useful information. GaryB

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

hey gary. What does that 1919 preamble claim were the understandings "revealed" to russell by the Lord??

.."His investigation led him to the conclusion that Jehovah has a great plan for the salvation and blessing of mankind, and that the keynote to that plan of salvation is the philosophy of the ransom sacrifice.'...

and:

..."Through its columns the features of the divine plan, as revealed, have been ably discussed. It has made clear to Bible students such vital questions as the ransom sacrifice, the doctrine of the atonement, the sin offering, the great covenants, and other subjects"....

Big revelations those!! Available at just about any church you care to name.

Lol

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Regarding adventist matters:

Of course the adventists hold that christ entered into the " sanctuary" in heaven in 1844 to begin the investigative judgement. A spiritualization of a failed literal expectation. The breakaway Russell held that 1844 (Being 30 years prior to 1874) paralleled in the dispensations to...I guess...Christs birth about the year zero CE. This leads us to a time span of 70 years (Birth till the destruction of Jerusalem in 70CE) ending 1914. With significant events in 1874, 1878, and 1881. The time parallels to 29/ 33/ 36 CE.

As to Mrs White: Ellen G White very quickly got onto the notion of the 1844 invisible "heavenly sanctuary" interpretation. This coresponding to 29CE in her chronology, resulting in something of an expectation among adventists for 1851.(parallel 36CE) 7 years later.

As I interprete it, Adventists hold that Christ is examining the records and heart condition of every human in the heavenly sanctuary and has been doing so since 1844. When he finishes the job and everyone is labelled He will return to earth to execute vengeance against the wicked ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit