Home schooling website / system for JWs

by sir82 32 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I understand that homesschooling can be the best option, depending on the needs of the child and the ability of the parents. Many times it works out very well.

But in my experience, JW parents are perfectly awful at it - in no sense at all are they "teachers". Their kids, in the vast majority of cases, emerge from "school" as emotionally stunted beings who simply are unable to cope with life and completely unprepared to make a living.

The website I pointed to is, as Cofty noted, astonishingly amateurish. [God of your choice] help the kids whose parents sign them up for such an "education".

I also found extremely disturbing the implied threat of disfellowshipping for kids who "misbehave". Chilling, to say the least.

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

I agree that if you home school to cut your children off from the real world and "inculcate" them with your cult then the outcomes for the children will be inadequate.

I certainly would not be using the Bible as part of the curriculum.

Thankfully our system would not allow that. Having said that you can buy "Christian" versions of the curriculum and I know of ones who class witnessing as social skills training.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Witnessing as a social skill lol. Witnessing is narcissist training as far I'm concerned.

• La Capra
    La Capra

http://www.osbeckeducational.org/curriculum.html

Don't forget this one out of California. On it's face, not so obvious a dub school. But it is.

You have to check out the last course recommended for each of the four years of high school. This one takes the poor dubs money and then suggests that they hit up the public schools for Career/Technical or Music.

Now that's ironic. I got "marked," even though I wasn't baptized for participating in my high school's music offerings.

This school claims credentialed teachers plural. That's two. I know one that effectively only made about $7/hour for those "credentialed" services of grading all the papers that the parents were producing for their kids instead of actually teaching their children how to do it.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The problem I see is that the local school districts are so bad now that a lot of people are going for other options. People see numbers on Home schooling and how parents are getting their kids way better grades they think this is a better option. For those parents that are smart and have the financial resources and time and commitment it works. JWs unfortunately in most cases are not smart don’t have the financial resources and their time and commitment is limited.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Home school kids can matriculate in:

Janitorial work

Pioneering

Window washing

Cart witnessing

Garbologist

Leaflet/Junk Mail distribution

LollyPop school Attendant

Dole bludger / Welfare recipient

Just to name a few

They will never produce an IQ above the basic level of primary education if they even achieve that level.

• zeb
    zeb

mcte. well said. Where are you please.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I am surprised that a school can receive any accreditation with its stated curriculum. Is there any public funding of this school?

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

Zeb, you have a PM

• stillin
    stillin

I went to a Catholic/Parochial school for my first 8 years. My parents assumed that I was getting the best. It wasn't until much later that they realized that the nuns had no teaching degrees, only a curriculum that they followed "religiously." My parents were appalled!

But, actually, the nuns tried harder. There were standardized tests and they wanted to make a good showing nationally, which was accomplished.

Bottom line, effort pays off. I haven't seen many well-adjusted Witness kids who gave a flying flip about edumacation. The goal is to teach their children enough for them to be able to support themselves and pioneer. Now THAT'S success!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit