200,000 evacuated last night in Northern California.

by compound complex 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Coco - this is unreal! I hope you're doing good. I hope the gov't is providing adequately for people and all I can think about is that scripture somewhere about lip service telling someone to just go and be warm, eat well in peace (something like that) without giving them what they need.

Keep us posted and stay on higher ground! If you need something let it be known -- ditto to Flipper.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Evacuation Order has been lifted, with the proviso residents may need to return to higher ground if the predicted 6 to 9 inches of rain overloads the reservoir.

Tuesday afternoon, 14 February 2017.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

I look forward the the JW Broadcasting report that jehovah's witnesses were taking the lead in volunteering and helping people find shelter while Stephen Lett held back the waters with his finger in the dike.

Stephen Lett shows "the finger of god" he used to save the Oroville Dam.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I perceive that you, jwleaks, are a man of infinite jest!

Truly, you are droll.

• smiddy
    smiddy

This must be very traumatic for all the people affected by this evacuation/emergency.

Thanks to you CoCo and flipper for the updates . It is being reported on here in OZ and our thoughts and well wishes are with all those affected .

Its hard to imagine in this day and age that such a potential disaster can happen uprooting so many people from the comfort of their own homes.

Take care

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, smiddy, for the good thoughts -- much appreciated.

The adjacent communities have been very generous, especially with the huge domestic animal population. Moving livestock, horses, etc. is a big job.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I live in Northern California about 70 miles from Oroville. I hear from the local brothers that because it is a man made dam it is failing! If it was a goddam it would be fine!

The failure of this damn spillway is just another sign that the "end is near". Damn the dam!

just saying!

• smiddy
    smiddy

According to the GB ex JW`s are damned no matter where they live.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks
    compound complex The adjacent communities have been very generous, especially with the huge domestic animal population. Moving livestock, horses, etc. is a big job.

Livestock is one the biggest consumers of time in an area that is preparing for a disaster. In Australia, this time of the year, wildfires can ravage communities and farming districts. Moving the livestock can be a major drama. While insurance pays out the value of your livestock or crops you have to start again. At the present time we have about 40 head of beef cattle on the family farm plus horses. In case of fires we have a horse float and various places in the area we can transfer them. We've fully evacuated twice in the past eight years because of fires. Even if you save the livestock and animals there may be no grass to eat. Cattle are often trucked out just in case a distant fire shifts. Otherwise they are confined to an eaten down area and fed hay.

After the fire comes the rains and everything grows back again. A massive dam burst or torrential waters destroys everything and takes away the topsoil. Here's hoping they fix the problem pronto.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, again, smiddy and eyeused2badub and jwleaks, for commenting. Helpful to hear from a "neighbor" (Oroville) and someone whose land (Oz) I visited and loved.

Latest on poor engineering, failure to maintain properly, lack of understanding the environment, geology, etc.:

Colson, who worked on other parts of the dam, said the design of the spillway never fully analyzed the potential for cavitation, which occurs when roiling water creates air pockets that cause high-pressure intrusion into cracks and fissures. The action can chew through thick concrete and even steel.

Dam spillways have a long history of problems with cavitation. The spillways at Hoover Dam have been used twice, and both times they sustained heavy damage, similar to what happened at Oroville. Cavitation caused concrete to fail and resulted in scouring of the surrounding rock. Glen Canyon Dam, also on the Colorado River, sustained massive damage in 1983 when its underground spillways were put to use. Dams in Pakistan and Brazil have also proved the potential for cavitation to damage spillways.http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-oroville-spillway-damage-20170220-story.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit