The reality of obesity

by Lady Lee 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was a JW there were a few sisters I knew who had serious weight problems. I now have a couple of friends who are obese. I have a weight problem also (about 40 pounds over my best weight).

I was out with my girlfriend today. I feel sad for her because of the way people look at her or ignore her. Waitresses think she should be on a diet (she goes to weight-watchers). Some people think it is funny. The prejudice is unbelievable. People can be so rude and cruel. My friend has a heart of gold. But too many people look at her and think she just eats too much. They don't have a clue about her health problems and how hard she wors to try to lose weight. It just doesn't happen for her.

Some one (else) sent me the following and I will pass it on to her.

There are several assumptions, based on myth rather than fact, which many people believe to be true about the obese person. These myths affect how we view and work with fat people. We all need to examine our beliefs about overweight people to recognize and clear out misinformation and prejudice. Some of the myths, and accurate information as we know of today, include:

Myth #1: Fat people are compulsive eaters.

Truth: Some fat people (as well as thin people) are compulsive eaters; some are not. Since compulsive eating generally occurs in response to dieting, those people who diet are at risk. Since most fat people, especially women, have felt pressured to diet, some will have developed a compulsive eating problem. (Personally I've known a lot of thin people who are obsessive eaters)

Myth #2: Fat people become fat from overeating and under-exercising. They can become thin by dieting and exercising.

Truth: Some people become over-weight from eating too much and exercising too little. At least two-thirds of fat people, however, are genetically programmed to be fat, regardless of their eating and exercise habits. On average, fat people eat no more than thin people; this has been repeatedly verified. If someone has become fat from a combination of overeating and under exercising, their size will probably diminish as they eat less and exercise more. However, they may never become thin, unless they are genetically meant to have thin bodies. (I am 2 inches taller than my mother but she insists that I am over-weight if I don't weigh 120 pounds like her. What she fails to realize is that genetically I am not like her. I am like my father's family. The comparison hurt for many years until I learned the differences)

Myth #3: Fat people are avoiding or covering their sexuality.

Truth: Some people who are fat may use fatness to protect themselves against their own or others' sexuality. As with anyone, however, this must be determined on an individual basis. Many people who are fat are quite comfortable with their sexuality, and are sexually active. (Shocking as it may be, some people actually prefer a sexual partner that does not resemble a skeleton)

Myth #4: Fat women have all been sexually abused when they were young.

Truth: It is estimated that about 30% of women of any size have been sexually abused. One cannot assume any correlation between body size and a history of sexual abuse. (Believe me after working with over 600 women who were sexaully abused I can verify they come in all shapes and sizes. And to be honest I have worked with more underweight women of that 600 than overweight ones)

Myth #5: Fat people lack willpower.

Truth: Most fat people in our culture have spent years dieting, and have lost vast quantities of weight. However, more than 95% of dieters regain lost weight. Very low calorie diets result in both physical and psychological pressure to resist what the body interprets as starvation. This psychobiological pressure leads dieters to binge in order to receive vital nourishment. (I know how little I really eat and the weight stays on. Learning to eat regular meals or even 5 smaller meals a day tricks my body into thinking it is not starving.)

Myth #6: Inside every fat person is a thin person trying to get out.

Truth: Given the prejudice which confronts fat people in our society, most fat people would like to be thinner. Nevertheless, they cannot become thinner. They need to accept themselves and get on with having the best life they can have. Do not assume that with the "right" treatment, a fat person will get thin. Biology largely determines a person's body size and shape. With the "right" treatment, however, a fat person can have a full, happy, and healthy life.

Most fat people in our society have undergone socially sanctioned abuse. The fatter the person, the more likely it is for that person to face abuse in daily life. The abuse may come in the form of insults from strangers, family, and acquaintances; denial of insurance or of medical treatment, or insistence by medical professionals that weight loss is required for healing any and all presenting complaints; restricted access to jobs, promotions, or advanced education; denial of opportunities to adopt a child; lack of access to adequate seating in theaters, public transportation, restaurants, and even restrooms. (I have heard of some people have to pay double fares on planes because they can't fit into those narrow seats they jamb in to get more people on the plane)

As with other victims of abuse, the fat person may have internalized the abuse, with such consequences as low self-esteem, social isolation, passivity, or self hatred.

Learning and dealing with our prejudices can help us to stop hurting those who already struggle with accepting themselves due to the prejudices of others

• Mulan
    Mulan

Lee, this is a great post. I have battled 10 pounds, then 20 pounds, then 30 pounds, over and over my entire adult life. Right now I need badly to lose 30 pounds. I have been going to Weight Watchers since May. I quickly lost 8 or 9 pounds, and then got stuck. For some reason my body is fighting me. At WW they tell me to see my doctor.

I joined a gym a month ago, and go to yoga twice a week (took 10 days off when I hurt my shoulder) and I use the treadmill 2 or 3 times a week. I've gained 5 pounds and haven't changed anything and am definitely not eating more. I am still doing the WW points. I doubt I have gained muscle because I'm not doing weights. It's so frustrating to get stuck like this.

I never have had this problem before. I've always been able to take weight off when I went to Weight Watchers or did any diet. My body is fighting me. I keep thinking I will all of a sudden drop 10 pounds and I sure hope I do. One person during a WW meeting, said I was under too much stress (caring for my parents, and my Dad's stroke and other health problems) and my body was in "survival mode" and wouldn't drop the weight, the "cortisol effect". That makes sense too.

Anyway, I think most fat people would love to be thin. Dieting over and over again over the years is not good for you. It gets harder the older you get, and that is no myth.

I have had the image of my grandmother and her sister, both well over 300 pounds, thrown up to me my whole life. I fight this genetic tendency. I found photos of my grandmother's great grandmother, born in 1810 and she was also terribly obese. I won't give in to the genetic thing though. I will break this cycle if it kills me. (kidding)

Thanks again, Lee. It needed to be said. Not everyone who is overweight is out of control, lazy or eats compulsively.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Mulan

I'm with you

Right now I am not too active because of my health problems. But as menopause snuck up on me the weight started to pile on. I too have that genetic thing to deal with although perhaps not as serious as your family. I know that my foot problems would be less if I lost the forty pounds (although that still won't change the shape of my feet)

But I used to cycle 100 KM in a day once or twice an week and still wasn't losing the weight.

And I have been severely underweight even when I ate anything and everything I wanted. So I know it isn't always what you eat but rather the metabolism. Mine has always been wonky.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    At least two-thirds of fat people, however, are genetically programmed to be fat, regardless of their eating and exercise habits.

I am glad to see this in print and being discussed here. The statements above apply to men, too.

I am currently doing the Atkins diet, have lost 17 lbs. I'm trying to shed a total of 145 lbs.. I am not an overeater, but am genetically predisposed to obesity on both sides of my family. I have been fighting with my weight all my life.

I am not trying to lose weight out of vanity, but to improve my health. Unfortunately, for someone with the "double-whammy" genes I was born with, diet and exercise help, but are not a cure. My great uncle weighed over 500 lbs when he passed away several years ago. I currently tip the scales at nearly 300 myself. I'd like to get down to 145-155 lbs, but at my age (46), that's easier said than done.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I've been doing weight watchers since the beginning of Summer. I was suprised at how many women there have had problems with weight only after menopause - I was not aware of how that could affect your metabolism!

Mulan and Lady Lee - hang in there. It's sooooo frustrating when you get stuck at one weight for a while. In fact, I was tempted to start smoking again since that always kept me skinny. But I found that even when I wasn't loosing I could keep motivated be documenting all of the positive things I was doing for my health (ie: all the fruits and veggies). It has definately made a difference in the way I feel physically - I used to be a real fast food addict.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Jim thanks for the heads up Of course it applies to men too.

Just take it easy and be the best YOU you can be

• donkey
    donkey
    Truth: Some people become over-weight from eating too much and exercising too little. At least two-thirds of fat people, however, are genetically programmed to be fat, regardless of their eating and exercise habits. On average, fat people eat no more than thin people; this has been repeatedly verified. If someone has become fat from a combination of overeating and under exercising, their size will probably diminish as they eat less and exercise more. However, they may never become thin, unless they are genetically meant to have thin bodies. (I am 2 inches taller than my mother but she insists that I am over-weight if I don't weigh 120 pounds like her. What she fails to realize is that genetically I am not like her. I am like my father's family. The comparison hurt for many years until I learned the differences)

Personally, I wonder just how true this is?

If it is true then based one many of the latest studies American's suddenly gained bad genes in the last 30 years - and I know that's not true. I think looking to blame our genes for things like obesity, alcholism etc is a copout from us taking responsibility for ourselves. I am not saying fat people are slobs - but I would believe there are other causes to the sudden gains in weight that we have seen en masse over the past 30 years in the USA.

I write this not meaning to offend anyone - I am personally afflicted by this issue and I am just not willing to accept that I have bad genes otherwise I might as well give up forever (I know how strong genetic influence is).

I know much of the current literature says exactly what you said Lee - about being genetically predisposed to obesity. For the sake of making my point let's say that is true. If it is true then we would not have had a sudden rise in obesity statistics - without some other cause being the major culprit. If we are genetically pre-disposed it must be more accurate to say we are now genetically reacting to other stimuli - the absence of which stimuli would tend to bring our genetic predisposition back in line. I hope all this makes sense to you.

Jack

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Glad to see the subject being talked about. I know many people who battle weight problems. I myself am over weight and so is my wife, but neither of us really care to do much about it. Both of us are happy with ourselves and attracted to each other and that is what matters most to us.

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Thanks for posting this. I eat all the "right foods", lots of veggies and salads, very little junk foods, very little sugar. Yet I am overweight. I've done this for years. I know people must think I am just a couch potato by the size of me.

I've started doing more excercizing, weight lifting, treadmill, total gym and some videos. I've lost 17 pounds since June. It is hard loosing the weight.

My own thoughts were that they give stuff to the animals to fatten them up faster, could that be fattening us up too?

Sadie

• ballistic
    ballistic

Having lost a whole lot of weight over the last year, I can say I am very lucky that I don't put it back on or have any eating problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit