The reality of obesity

by Lady Lee 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Pat that is a great idea and I try to eat nothing after a certain time of night but maybe.....

hmmmm

one more idea

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent topic, Lady Lee.

My pet peeve? Fat actors (both child and adult) portrayed as pigs, eating constantly.

I can go along with the genetic predisposition, as well as the modern access to high-calorie foods. Obesity is a problem of prosperity. There are not many people starving to death in my country any more. I figure I come from hunter-gatherer stock, who normally did not have ready access to fats and carbohydrates. So my body processes a Big Mac and fries very efficiently and stores any extra for the "lean times". Except there are no "lean times" any more.

Restaurants double-size many portions. I am starting to ask them to split and doggy-bag half my order BEFORE I eat (a trick I learned from my dietitian).

• talesin
    talesin

I was too thin (read, anorexic) in my twenties, then gained weight after a car accident and subsequent bed confinement for about 1 year (27-28).

When I became too ill to work (mid thirties) and my financial circumstances changed, I had to curtail most processed and prepackaged foods as well as dairy products (lack of $$). I could no longer afford my lazy food habits, as well as the 3-4 glasses of milk I consumed daily.

I lost over 60 lbs in 2 years and not on purpose. It certainly wasn't because I ate lots of fruits and vegetables - couldn't afford them. I ate mostly pastas and homemade sauces, lots of egg sandwiches. The change was that I ate very few chemicals and additives.

Jane Brodys Guide to Nutrition helped me learn how to eat healthy on very little cash. It was worth the effort (because I had enough food to eat and inadvertently lost a lot of weight).

Last year, I developed wheat and rye sensitivity, so I gave them up. I lost another 20 pounds. It just about killed me to give up pasta!! It's one of my favorite foods. My body has really thanked me for it, though!

Now my health is improved, and I'm not giving up my new ways of eating. In fact, I buy seasonal and organic whenever $$$ permit. Also, tofu and beans are a much cheaper source of protein (though my love of PORK and BACON is legendary among friends - if it comes from a pig, I love it!!) than flesh. I will not return to my old habits of eating processed foods.

But trust me, when I go out for the occasional hamburger and fries, or fish'n'chips, I enjoy it GUILT FREE!!! GIMME GRAVY!!!

I eat only real butter, mayo, no low fat for me. NOTHING canned, processed or frozen (except for the occasional can of smoked oysters).

Before you scream about cholesterol, remember that means there is no HIDDEN fat in my diet. Did you know that 'trans' fat is in everything from breakfast cereals to frozen fries (you know, the 'lowfat' kind you cook in the oven). Don't trust me on this, look up recent news exposes on TV shows like Marketplace & Fifth Estate.

I also use only Canola and Olive oil for cooking. Both of my parents have dangerously high cholesterol, mine is NORMAL.

When friends tell me how great I look, I just tell them, get too poor to be able to afford canned and processed foods, stop drinking milk and give up the foods you are sensitive to, the pounds will drop off!!!

Most of the women in my family, from both sides, (although none of them talk to me, apostababe that I am) of my age are obese, not just overweight. I'm the only one that's gotten thinner with age, and I really put it down to two things:

1. eating food that is relatively unprocessed, more beans, less meat (which was imposed on me) and

2. finding out what disagrees with my system and avoiding it (did this on my own).

NOTE, DISCLAIMER: This is only my personal experience, not implying that y'all should do what I have done. As in most matters, if sharing my experience can help one person, then I'm more than happy.

PS. I think Atkins works, but how healthy is it in the long run? ... just a thought ...

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit