The reality of obesity

by Lady Lee 52 Replies latest jw friends

• berylblue
    berylblue

Excellent post.

I work as a consumer rep in an inbound call center. It puzzled me why so many intelligent, lovely, witty and beautiful women who were also extremely obese (meaning about 100 pounds overweight or more) worked there. I mean MANY......disproportionately so. Then it hit me.

I think there is a tremendous bias against heavier persons in the work force but in an in-bound call center, no one can see you (and therefore not judge you on your weight).

Rosemarie

former anoxeric and bulimic here...labeled from birth as "the fat twin" even though I was never more than 10 pounds overweight

• Undecided
    Undecided
    My own thoughts were that they give stuff to the animals to fatten them up faster, could that be fattening us up too?

I've thought about this possibility also. Have they done any studies on this?

Do the undernourished countries have this problem also if it's a genetic problem?

Ken P whose 50 pounds is caused by too little exercise and too much food.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Lady Lee, I'm so glad you posted this. The information is so good, so true. When I was young, the biggest problem I had was when other kids poked fun at my nose. For some reason, I was the only one in my family with the larger nose, and to top it off, it had a bump on it. True friends saw past my nose, but for me, it was always an issue, and it affected the way I went about my connections with people. Also, during this time, I happened to be skinny as a rail--so with the big nose and being skinny, I was prime for other name calling as well.

I learned to accept my physical appearance, but always felt like I'd be happier if I were more like everyone else. Years later, when I had an accident, where my nose was badly broken, the opportunity came for me to have it fixed--for the hump to be removed. But the surgery turned out badly and there were complications. I have to say, I wish that I'd never let them touch my nose. Just two years ago, I was finally able to have it corrected surgically. And, did I mention that due to all my emotional issues with the JW's, etc., and my cognitions and perceptions of life in general, various doctors put me on first one medication and then another. These medications had the side affect of weight gain, which I was oblivious to. After all, I was the skinny girl, who never had to worry about weight, even in my late thirties. Then life changed for me. I suddenly ballooned up to 200 lbs. To top that off, those diets were horrible. I stopped taking the medications, but my metabolism had been altered. Then menopause began, and also I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. So on top of gaining so much weight, I was in physical pain constantly. This put a halt to my active routine, and over the years, I saw myself become an overweight, inactive woman. Although I had no major health issues, I felt trapped in an unfamiliar body. I hated myself, but so much else was going on inside me, that I just couldn't seem to do anything about it. I tried, but the quick loss of ten to 20 lbs was followed by weeks of losing nothing.

Three years ago, I began a mission to fix myself, from the inside out. I began with a physical cleansing, and then a spiritual, and now back to the physical. I work out three times a week, for an hour each time. It nearly killed me the first couple of weeks, but I am determined to overcome. It wasn't even so much losing pounds, but just becoming stronger physically, and having the stamina to climb stairs, pick up laundry baskets, and play with grandkids, without hurting so much, or having so much weakness. These are the "catch 22" situations many people face.

Now, after three months of being in the fitness routine, I am feeling so much better about myself. My pain is more manageable, and I don't feel as sorry for myself as I did. I highly recommend some type of exercise, because it stimulates both mind and body. And, by the way, without even worrying about the pounds, I have dropped two sizes and seven inches all over, and am getting back into clothes I haven't been able to wear for quite a long time.

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter what other people think. It's what's in your heart that counts. Some of the most beautiful people I know are very much overweight. All I see is their smile and that sparkle in their eyes. When they hug me, it is a warm and loving place to be.

Society will always have cruel and judgmentary humans, because mankind still has a long way to go to learn about love and compassion. I never once thought that I'd ever have to be concerned with being overweight. On the other hand, I never made fun of overweight people when I was very skinny. There is a balance to all things, and we just have to find it. We never know what tomorrow may bring.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I was suprised at how many women there have had problems with weight only after menopause

I have had a weight problem, not as serious as some, since I was 25. Hormones affect weight for sure, but for me it isn't a new problem.

When I hit menopause, back in 1995, I lost 35 pounds in 4 months, not even trying. Amazing. Let's do that again!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

You people are awesome. I'm sure there are others who are having a hard time talking about this. But your sharing will help them see they are not alone.

(((((((((((((((((ALL))))))))))))))))))))

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

((((((((((((((((Lady Lee and everyone else)))))))))))))))))

Thanks for posting such a wonderful article! There are so many people out there (me too) with weight issues (too much or too little), and I believe there are a lot of contributing factors to that. It's sad though that many people still want to pre-judge others based on appearances (myself included at times unfortunately). I'm finding though that the more people I meet and get to know the easier it is to see the real them--no matter the exterior.

I personally am very interested in eating according to blood type. It seems to really "hit the nail on the head" regarding why one diet can have such a varied response among people. IMO, if the food we ARE putting into our mouth slows down our blood, has specific lectins that we cannot digest, cause weight gain/loss etc., then by simply redefining what's good for our individual bodies we can make huge changes.

Thanks again for this topic--it's helping me to get motivated again to take care of myself better. I just wish I wasn't so easily derailed sometimes. Posts like this one always help!

Becky

• Hamas
    Hamas

The disease of the western world.

(((alluguys)))

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Truth: Some people who are fat may use fatness to protect themselves against their own or others' sexuality. As with anyone, however, this must be determined on an individual basis. Many people who are fat are quite comfortable with their sexuality, and are sexually active. (Shocking as it may be, some people actually prefer a sexual partner that does not resemble a skeleton)

Absolutely TRUE -- The thought of making love/having sex with Kate Moss or her ilk turns me off -- I like rounded curvy women with a bit of meat on them -- now J. LOs booty (sorry to hijack this thread not meant to be another J. Lo thread) --but you get the idea --- when I was last in Amsterdam's red light district - there were a huge number of men all going for the women who had quite a bit of weight on them (and no I did not partake before any of you ask)

• wednesday
    wednesday

currently Dr. Phil is doing the Ultimate weight loss cahllenge, and he has a book. I have been watching him and am reading his book. He talks about weight resistant people, and there are many reasons for this. I recommend getting the book and reading it. it is not just another "diet book", but it is some great advice. I have literally only ate one meal a day at times and could not lose weight. It seems your body goes into starvation mode. U need to eat 3-5 small meals.

• mouthy
    mouthy

yeah! I believe ya! stillaexjwelder!!!lol....I am leaving this room cos I dont like talking about excess fat.Of which I have much!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit