Have You Ever Served as an Attendant? Share Your Stories!

by Funchback 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• La Capra
    La Capra

Funchie, I thought y'all were dorks myself. I couldn't have been more than 7 when I realized that I could count just as well as they could and everyone thought they were special "inspired counters..." My mother was never able to manipulate my attitude or conduct into accepting that a man who could count up a few hundred people was more worthy than me. There was a group of us that tried to get to go to the restroom as soon as we saw the count start. It spread to other subversive minded children who were paying loose enough attention to the program to notice some of us kids were playing a game. After a few circuit assemblies, we got an "announcement" from the stage. We considered it a victory. Now that I am a teacher and see all the creative things the kids do to entertain themselves when they are bored, I am humbled in my lack inspiration in this area. Shoshana

• Funchback
    Funchback

Shoshana...

On behalf of all the ego-maniacal FORMER dork Attendants: I apologize.

Here's another Attendant story...

An elderly brother was distraught. He was in a panic for he had just lost his WIFE! This was at Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia. He insisted that he told her to meet him at the statute (there were four). He said he dropped her off, parked the car, and was supposed to meet her at a SPECIFIC location. He had been waiting for her for 30 minutes. He seemed really sad. I suggested that we walk around the stadium because, like, she COULD be at the WRONG statute. He said there was NO WAY she'd be waiting at the wrong location. So we walked ALLLLLLL the way to the opposite side of big-azz Veteran's Stadium and, lo and behold, there was his wife. As soon as he saw her he ran too her and immediately began yelling at her! Funny thing was, she was yelling back.

What happened to all of his sadness??? LOL!

• La Capra
    La Capra

Funchie, no need to apologize for y'all being dorks, you couldn't help it. It was the boys o' bethel who sent those special cards to wear under you name tags that said "attendant" that had all the single sisters looking first for the tag, and then for a ring on your finger. There was no way around being a dork, or at least appearing to be one. Me, I tend to go for geeks, not dorks, but all the geeks were smart enough to get put into the sound booth, so I never saw them...Shoshana (who liked to leave things in the aisle to see if she could get them to trip over it.)

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Great stories.

Bangalore

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I was practically forced to be an attendant a few times. When that happened, I already knew I was the bottom of the barrel of only a few "qualified" brothers in my congo because of my meeting attendance and field circus hours...

• Kensei01
    Kensei01

I served as an attendant for many years. I didn't mind doing it. Had no problems counting; I would could all the empty seats before hand so I knew how many in my section and just counted the empties, then subtract, easy. Tried to tell other attendants but they thought I was nuts!! OOOOOOKKKK. I was trained well by the older dudes I worked under here in the Martitimes; didn't usually take things too crazy, although we did have to bend over backwards to please some goof ball CO now and again. I always tried to be helpful and if had to tell some folks to move from the door I would play the ' I don't really care, but someone's probably come by and mention to you to move to the side or whatever, just sayin.." then I would keep on going. For several years I did security for Auditing, so we were like the CIA...lol..no one was allowed to know where Auditing was or who worked there, so we came up "secret' code marks on the badges for those who did work there, no marks, you don't get in. But we were pretty cool about it, in fact swaggering down here got you in trouble.

One sis had a 'stroller' during the time when you weren't supposed to have one in the arena, so she got pretty steamed when another attendant mentioned it to her, so since I knew her I offered to help her out. One dear old sis fell when her hip broke so I helped her with first aid until the emts showed up. However one time I did have to be assertive when the fire alarm went off and some people just stood around talking and I had to tell them that the fire trucks were coming and welllllll you know how it goes. All in all I didn't mind being an attendant, some were power trip f sticks, I would tell them the Hitler youth was looking for recruits. Anyway thats all I have for now....wow I usually don't post this long...lol..

Have a great one everyone

Kensei

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit