Have You Ever Served as an Attendant? Share Your Stories!

by Funchback 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

I remember being a JW lad (about 10 or 11 years old). I would be at the Circuit Assembly and, at around 10:45 AM, about 8 brothers would get up, walk slowly up the aisle, glancing at each row of their "section", their lips quivering as they silently count each person, trying to maintain focus as nearly each JW makes eye contact them (even though EVERYONE knew what the Attendants were doing!).

Did I want to grow up to be the President of the United States? Did I want to be a Firefighter? A Policeman? A Doctor???

Ahhh, noooo! Me? I wanted to be an Attendant! I would see the (usually) same brothers every 6 months. They got to get up out of their seat smack-dab in the middle of a symposium. For only just a few minutes, all eyes were on THEM! It was as if a spotlight had been turned on and the aisle was their stage. For some reason, I felt like they enjoyed this attention.

When I became old enough, I, too, was an Attendant. And, yes, as CORNY as it sounds, I got a kick out of it. All my friends would see me and little kids would look at me with the same look that I gave when I was a child (***Of course, little JW girls will ultimately get disappointed if they strive to be an Attendant***). Plus, out of all the brothers who were in attendance, only about eight got to be an Attendant who had the "privilege" of taking the count.

Please tell me that I'm not the only dork who felt this way.

Also, I will share some funny experiences while I worked as an Attendant.

Looking forward to your replies!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yep, I was an attendant. I had to count heads and direct people to the cheese danish stand.

Actually I enjoyed it because I got to walk around and not have to pay attention to the speaker as much.

The most embarrassing thing I ever was told to do as an attendant was to look for people who were just standing somewhere during the session and ask them to take their seats. I did this to a few people and then stopped. I couldn't handle the looks I would receive. People probably thought I was some snot-nosed 18 year old on a power trip. (That wasn't true..... I was 19. )

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Oh my bad, I misread this. I thought the question was asking if I had ever serviced an attendant.

My dad used to joke about how the brothers would almost elbow each other in the face to get these assignments. He said when he got asked to do it he would always ask for something outside like in the parking lot.

I was promised I'd get to watch the donation box if I got baptised. Darn, I missed out on all the fun.

• Badger
    Badger

I was an attendant..I helped my father out in lots of places. We also did a few conventions together as door monitors during the service.

At the time, I was still looking to move up in the org. Pioneering, temp at bethel. I saw a lot of guys (not men...guys) my age who got drunk on this little thimblefull of power and would brag about it later.

Fortunately, my dad had taught me to just be visible, help out if asked, and let people enjoy themselves (we always managed to keep from toting that stupid "Quiet Please" sign).

Some of it was cool...especially not being expected to follow along during the session.

Working with my dad made it a lot better. I was counseled for talking during door duty with an attendant who was off duty and felt compelled to tell me his life story from the womb to that moment. On the other hand, parking duty ruled. I could always count on a few (hot) sisters to hand us Cokes as they drove by. No hotel keys, though . Towards the end, when the lot was empty, we would pantomime a high noon shootout. I positive I would have been counseled if it was done with anyone else anywhere else.

Now he's in another state. Attending has lost any fun it had.

• jwbot
    jwbot

When I was 11 or 12, I wanted so bad to be the first woman MS or elder. HAH!

• Badger
    Badger

Stacy...Oh, that was you? sorry I didn't call...

• garybuss
    garybuss

I did the count thing once. I hated it. I never did it again.

Later I had a run in with two attendants and they belly pushed me and my 3 year old son away from a vending machine. It was a next to the last straw thing for me. They're lucky to be alive. GaryB

• Funchback
    Funchback

drwtsn32... That was one of the perks: As an Attendant, you had a free pass to walk around and not have that friggin' "Quiet Please" or "Please Be Seated" sign aimed in your direction.

Oh, and didn't it just make you feel SPECIAL when you got to wear a badge that read, "ATTENDANT"???

Stacy Smith... I see you still haven't gotten laid yet...hahahahaha!

• Badger
    Badger

Thought I'd dig this one up...I wonder if this punk is still an attendant...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/58621/884875/post.ashx#884875

• DIM
    DIM

I've been a parking attendant at the VET and at Buckingham....After I was done parking at the VET...i got in my car, went to the Wawa in South Philly on Deleware Avenue then took a nice walk along South Street. After that I walked up 3rd Street to my fav music store which is sadly now gone, 3rd Street Jazz. I went back to the VET at lunch, walked around. Then after lunch was over I went home. Good Times!

Buckingham was a nightmare. No Fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit