I'm ready to get my first Powerball ticket -- NOT!

by FatFreek 2005 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    pepperheart complained, "it really bugs me that they give such stupid amounts of money out in one large prize and that is why i dont take part just think how many prizes there would be at $50,000 for a win."
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you DO NOT KNOW that so far 18,315,365 people have won money from their powerball ticket.
    Every time a Powerball ticket is bought, a massive 50% goes towards prizes (20% into the jackpot pool, the other 30% towards other prizes). The remaining 50% goes to the state where the ticket was bought to cover operating costs, retailer costs and of course good causes.
    Of course, not all of those were BIG winners, but I think that 18 million prizes might be enough to satisfy you.

See? The truth does set one free, doesn't it?
    Wish me luck, I'm hoping for my third superball win next week!
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

1.3 billion. . . . .

Ok. Now I'm interested.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

People sometimes don't understand basic math. At work, they asked if there was a way to buy all the numbers. I said, of course. If the odds are 1 in 296 million, I will just round it to 1 in 300 million. That means 300 million combinations, so at $2 a ticket you can spend $600 million and buy every number possible.

"So why doesn't someone do that?"

"Well, the lump sum is probably going to be something less than $600 million dollars and you might have to share the winnings with someone else who just happened to hit the numbers. But also, anyone with $600 million doesn't want to bother trying to buy all the numbers."

• atomant
    atomant

l wonder what would happen if a baptised JW bought a ticket and won the 500 million prize.lm sure the elders would have something to say about this.l also wonder what would happen if the JW winner pledged to build a brand new kingdom hall and give each congregation member a million dollars each and the rest to bethel.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I always thought it was a tax for people that are bad at math, your odd are better going to vegas. But I recently read that buying a lottery ticket gives your brain a little boost of serotonin, so I guess you could look at it as a few bucks that lets you live a fantasy, dreaming of what you would do with the money. I don't see the harm as long as you don't spend the rent money. My husband just bpught $20 in tickets, our first ever time to play the lottery. I'm not holding my breath though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit