What's Your Opinion of the Opposite Sex?

by minimus 96 Replies latest jw friends

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

The person who has taught me the most about being human is my wife. She has taught me how to feel and how to love. She has taught me how to be more considerate of others and how to be more in tune with others' feelings. She has made me a better and more caring person in many ways.

As a college professor who teaches at a school that is primarily a teachers' college, I have some very very bright and talented young ladies studying science and it is a privilege to make some small contribution in helping them reach their goals. I also have some bright young men students too but they are fewer in number because of the history of this school's population I think. These young ladies are a joy to teach and they keep me on my toes and have made me a better teacher in many ways.

In any case, I believe that women in general are physically beautiful but more than that they compliment men on many levels and help men to lead a more full and fulfilling life.

Jeff S.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

(Need I say more?)

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova: Can you name any female equivalent (or superior) to the achievements of an Einstein, a Shakespeare, or a Michelangelo?
    frenchbabyface: and how many men stole women's job !!!

Frenchie,

Please relate to me the tale of how Einstein stole the job of formulating the theory of relativity from the unsuspecting Jane Doe. Or how Shakespeare stole his job from some brilliant young English lass. Or even the one about how Michelangelo deviously disguised himself as the Italian woman whom the Pope actually wanted to commission to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies
    Can you name any female equivalent (or superior) to the achievements of an Einstein, a Shakespeare, or a Michelangelo?

Just a few here:

Hypatia:

Hypatia was known more for the work she did in mathematics than in astronomy, primarily for her work on the ideas of conic sections introduced by Apollonius. She edited the work On the Conics of Apollonius, which divided cones into different parts by a plane. This concept developed the ideas of hyperbolas, parabolas, and ellipses. With Hypatia's work on this important book, she made the concepts easier to understand, thus making the work survive through many centuries. Hypatia was the first woman to have such a profound impact on the survival of early thought in mathematics. Later, Descartes, Newton, and Leibniz expanded on her work.

She paved the way for Einstien and others!

Ada Byron, the Lady Lovelace:

At the age of 17 Ada was introduced to Mary Somerville, a remarkable woman who translated LaPlace's works into English, and whose texts were used at Cambridge. Though Mrs. Somerville encouraged Ada in her mathematical studies, she also attempted to put mathematics and technology into an appropriate human context. It was at a dinner party at Mrs. Somerville's that Ada heard in November, 1834, Babbage's ideas for a new calculating engine, the Analytical Engine. He conjectured: what if a calculating engine could not only foresee but could act on that foresight. Ada was touched by the "universality of his ideas". Hardly anyone else was.

Babbage worked on plans for this new engine and reported on the developments at a seminar in Turin, Italy in the autumn of 1841. An Italian, Menabrea, wrote a summary of what Babbage described and published an article in French about the development. Ada, in 1843, married to the Earl of Lovelace and the mother of three children under the age of eight, translated Menabrea's article. When she showed Babbage her translation he suggested that she add her own notes, which turned out to be three times the length of the original article. Letters between Babbage and Ada flew back and forth filled with fact and fantasy. In her article, published in 1843, Lady Lovelace's prescient comments included her predictions that such a machine might be used to compose complex music, to produce graphics, and would be used for both practical and scientific use. She was correct.

When inspired Ada could be very focused and a mathematical taskmaster. Ada suggested to Babbage writing a plan for how the engine might calculate Bernoulli numbers. This plan, is now regarded as the first "computer program." A software language developed by the U.S. Department of Defense was named "Ada" in her honor in 1979.

She paved the way for computer programming!

Ellen Henrietta Swallow Richards:

In 1868, she was accepted to Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York and graduated with a B.S. degree in 1870. She was then accepted at the MIT as a special student in chemistry (i.e. she was not charged tuition, but MIT was not obligated to her either) and graduated in 1873 with her second B.S. degree. That same year, she received an M.S. degree in chemistry from Vassar. She continued her studies at MIT for two more years, but was not awarded the Ph.D. degree, as was later claimed by her husband, because her professors did not want the first Ph.D. degree in chemistry from MIT to be awarded to a woman.

In 1875 she married Professor Robert H. Richards, head of the department of mining engineering at MIT. She started working with her husband on the chemistry of ore analysis and this work led to her being elected in 1879 the first woman member of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers.

In 1876 she successfully petitioned the Woman?s Education Association of Boston to contribute funds to open the Woman?s Laboratory at MIT. She worked there as an assistant director under Professor John Ordway. She encouraged other women to enter the scientific field and provided opportunities for their training. Women were taught basic and industrial chemistry, biology and mineralogy. With Ordway's help, some were then able to obtain industrial and government consulting jobs.

Beginning in 1876, she was head of the science section of the Society to Encourage Studies at Home. In 1882, she co-founded the Association of Collegiate Alumnae (later known as the American Association of University Women). In 1884, she started working at MIT's new laboratory of sanitation chemistry as an assistant to Professor William Nichols. This was a salaried faculty appointment. Prior to this, she taught classes without pay. She introduced biology to MIT's curriculum and founded the oceanographic institute, known as Woods Hole. In addition, she tested home furnishings and foods for toxic contaminants, investigated water pollution and designed safe sewage systems.

I could go on, but this would be a lenghty post indeed!

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova
    Hypatia was known more for the work she did in mathematics than in astronomy, primarily for her work on the ideas of conic sections introduced by Apollonius. She edited the work On the Conics of Apollonius, which divided cones into different parts by a plane. This concept developed the ideas of hyperbolas, parabolas, and ellipses. With Hypatia's work on this important book, she made the concepts easier to understand, thus making the work survive through many centuries. Hypatia was the first woman to have such a profound impact on the survival of early thought in mathematics. Later, Descartes, Newton, and Leibniz expanded on her work.

She paved the way for Einstien and others!

maybesbabies,

Great response! But a little tricky, too. I would also like to highlight "She edited the work On the Conics of Apollonius" and "With Hypatia's work on this important book, she made the concepts easier to understand."

And it seems a little misleading when you omit Apollonius from the last sentence in that paragraph: "Later, Descartes, Newton, and Leibniz expanded on her work."

Correction: "her work on Apollonius."

Her contribution is very important, not to doubt, but I almost read through that passage thinking that she alone had "paved the way for Einstein." :)

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Ummmmmm........... [ should I or shouldn't I?.........aw what the hell!] If they didn't have [edited] there'd be a bounty on their heads! Mike. p.s. Note the ambiguity before you flame me ladies!

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

I did not omit Apollonious from the last sentence, I copied and pasted it exactly as it was written. And I was not trying to attribute the theories of Apollonius to Hypatia with my highlighting, I was trying to illustrate the concepts involved. However, you suffered a sin of omission yourself:

Great response! But a little tricky, too. I would also like to highlight "She edited the work On the Conics of Apollonius" and "With Hypatia's work on this important book, she made the concepts easier to understand."

Whereas the sentence is continued with "thus making the work survive through many centuries". Obviously, she was not just scribing his ideas, she was translating them into simpler form, allowing for future scientists to understand what may otherwise have been lost to time. Many scientist have done this, and it is credited as revised theorem. Still, it refutes your point about women not being smart enough to match the other great men in history.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder
    Marie Curie -- discovered radium and was a brilliant chemist
    greater than Einstein?
    world /great leaders -- Boadicea - Queen Elizabeth 1st, Queen Victoria, Margaret Thatcher

world /great(er) leaders: Alexander the Great, Augustus Caesar, George Washington, Churchill

IMHO -- Yes Queen Elizabeth 1st was at least as Great as Churchill/Washington -- under her GB became great and an empire and the US and other colonies were formed and an armada defeated Spain and Protestantism was established as the dominant religion in the English Speaking World

• Vita Nuova
    Vita Nuova
    I did not omit Apollonious from the last sentence, I copied and pasted it exactly as it was written.

Then the omission is imputed to the source.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Personally, I'm tired of proving what I am - I am a woman. I have the ability to take care of myself and my young alone if needed. I can hang drywall, do small engine repairs, cook dinner, work a full time job & still have an abundance of energy for my children. I don''t need a man to take care of me, and for 7 years I did just that - took care of myself.

But, I also appreciate the fact that men are what they are. We are perfect compliments (usually) one to the other - if we just accept & appreciate the differences. I appreciate that men arent typically as "sensitive or emotional as I am - I need to be brought back to reality every once in awhile, and I'm not ashamed to say it. I like the feeling of the strong sense of security my hubby brings to me, and I'm not ashamed of that either. Sure, some of his typical maleness bothers me on occassion, but sh*t - he has to deal with me! Turnabout's fair play.

I can be strong when I have to be - but its nice to know that I don't always have to be. My hubby is to an extent the"head of the household"', and I'm not ashamed of that either, because he doesnt behave as lord and master.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit