Big Meat Eaters?

by peacefulpete 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

I tried the Vegetarian diet for a couple of years but gave it up. When it comes to meat, my fish is limited, because all the toxins in the water, and I don't eat pork because I have an allergy to it. I do eat red meat from time to time, but not very fond of it, to me, it tastes like eating dirt. I do like some poultry though.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont like fish--to eat that is. dont like the bones. or the smell. mostly chicken and pork. steak once a fortnight--tonights the night !

lots of veg. a few spuds. less rice. i am borderline diabetic so have to take food more seriously.

• tiki
    tiki

I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian....then also done no red meat phases...I do eat limited amounts of red meat these days, but locally grown and fed animals. I do not trust the mega agro industry and all the chemicals they are insinuating into our bodies. Chicken...not a fan of Chicken particularly but will eat local farmed birds. Love seafood....it is abundant in our area and we are able to get it good as it gets locally. I do believe that the human body needs amino acids acquired from meat proteins and that a totally vegan diet is insufficient for robust health.

• carla
    carla

When I saw the title of this thread all I could think of was this old thread, tried to find the image someone posted of a 'meat tree' but couldn't, made me laugh.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/89047/meat-tree

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I've tried vegan, vegetarian, and pescatarian. I have high cholesterol (genetic), so no dietary changes help significantly. Six months as a vegan only lowered the numbers by 10%. Too much work for that!

I have fructose malabsorption which means limited beans and legumes, among other things; and I am severely allergic to soy, so my protein choices are limited. I eat eggs, limited local cheeses, yogurt, hormone and antibiotic-free poultry and locally caught fresh fish along with lots of low-fructose fruits, veggies and whole grains.

I'm healthiest with limited wheat, sugar, no red meat or pork-- basically a Mediterranean diet. And it feels good to help protect our home in any way possible. It used to make me crazy that JWs I knew were willfully ignorant about protecting the environment, because Big J would take care of it in Paradise. Grrr!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Stopped eating red meat about 12 years ago because it's contraindicated in arthritis and my family get really bad arthritis. My aunt had seven hip replacement operations, first one at 47.

So far hardly a twinge and I'm 61. Not vegetarian, I eat fish and very occasionally chicken.

• cofty
    cofty

Veganism is a secular cult.

Animals are made of delicious meat.

• Simon
    Simon

Vegans have to be the most annoying sanctimonious people on the planet.

Bacon is already delicious but oh so sweet if there is a vegan around to watch you savour it.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm not a carnivore but do think we should have/enjoy various animal proteins. I went without meat for couple of decades (re/the fat scare/healthy-hype drama) but feel better with minimal meat in my diet. What do the anti-meat people expect the diabetics to eat for protein? The ones I know have enough issues eating a minimum amount of carbs. Tofu has carbs (minimal) and some dairy, also, but many of us are allergic to dairy. Lentils, beans, nuts, have carbs. Carbs are great but some of us need a more balanced diet. I've tried to eliminate meat products but can't and I'm not diabetic.

It's like the brown rice scare -- we were told to eat brown rice and then couple of years ago to stay away from it - eat the white. The Okinawans live on it (and fish) - minimal fruit (can't remember how many veggies they consume) and are one of the Blue Zones of planet earth. I'm sure there's a way to obtain enough protein but I've tried to balance out healthy, wholegrain carbos, without meat protein sources, and have failed.

How does one live without BLTs and barbecue ribs once in awhile.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Tasty, tasty murder.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit