Dreading the memorial

by Isambard Crater 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

@HIDDLESWIFE is totally right about the anxiety from being judged and analyzed such as how many times you make a comment in the Watchtower.

@LONGHAIRGIRL - I too felt more peace when I quit the JWs seven years ago.

@BOOGERMAN - I did face years ago and the eldubs stopped contacting me about 4 years ago, but I still go to the memorial for family, which I know is stupid putting myself through Hell for this one night, but it really does have this trigger anxiety effect on me, and my going makes them keep hold of that glimmer of hope I'll one day return, I guess.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Elders Conversation Stoppers = the "T'' in the B. I. T. E. model.

When elders imposed their 'stoppers' on you, it is nothing more than one of the ''thought'' stopping techniques.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

When posters mention 'triggers', feeling sick and such, it is more like a post traumatic abuse situation. No, you should not return, and you should make it clear to your family you will not be returning. You need to take care of your mental health. I also have aging parents (almost lost them both this last year) who wish for us to return but know I am not. I can render assistance to them without having to lie about who I am.

It is no different in my mind than pretending to not be gay to not offend the religious views of family. Or for that matter, hiding a marriage or girlfriend of a different race from prejudiced family. Family is important but not all important.

I will add, some exJWs at some point will be able to look back at the experience without the psychological baggage. I feel it is more likely for those who empowered themselves to separate cleanly, than those who fear reprisals and keep pretending. Really are you an ExJW until you can do that?

• blondie
    blondie

I never knew why the WTS emphasized the Memorial, especially for non-anointed people. Non-anointed jws were not even invited and made to feel they had to or should be there since they were not in a "covenant arrangement" with Jesus. 1925 95,000+ 1928 44,000+ (or 23,000+ depending on the quote) In fact the WTS believed that the "great crowd" also called "great company" or "great multitude" would go to heaven. https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/great-crowd-other-sheep.php This was changed over time by the WTS to the great crowd only living on earth and not anointed. "No Scripture states that either the Great Crowd or Other Sheep are on earth. Christians understand the Great Crowd have a heavenly hope, as did Pastor Russell, and even Rutherford for many years.

"Does the Great Company receive life direct from God on the spirit plane? Answer -- Yes, they receive life direct in that they have been begotten of the Holy Spirit, and when they are begotten they are just the same way as the little flock, because we are called in the one hope of our calling. They do not make their calling and election sure, but not being worthy of second death, they therefore receive life on the spirit plane." What Pastor Russell Saidp.297
    "… all the facts and the scriptures bearing upon the matter under consideration show that those who form the great multitude constitute a spirit class, born on the spirit plane." Watchtower 1927 15 Jan pp.19-20 "The Great Multitude,"
    "… must be spirit creatures." Vindication Volume 3 (1932) p.204
  • Bribie
    Bribie

Our attendance at the memorial shows a deep respect and thankfulness for what Jesus did for us. The precious gift of his perfect life has redeemed us all and has given those who accept and respond to this gift the chance of living forever. God truly is love!

• Ding
    Ding

Jesus said to eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of him.

The Watchtower tells 99% of JWs to refuse to eat the bread and drink the wine in remembrance of him.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

@Bribie

Our attendance at the memorial shows a deep respect and thankfulness for what Jesus did for us.

What is it you are to do in remembrance of him?

Isn’t it to share in the communion meal?

How does rejecting the bread and the wine show anything but disrespect and dishonour of what “Jesus did for us”?

No doubt you’ve been conditioned to believe that it’s not for you but nowhere in the NT does it tell you to reject the bread and the wine.

Oh, by the way, welcome aboard here, I’m sure you’ll soon learn that there is much to learn about “The Truth”TM, in fact the truth about The Truth.

• Bribie
    Bribie

Yes I will certainly share in the occasion but only as an observer

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

If you are trying to fade....don't go. Stay gone and off the radar.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    but only as an observer

But that isn’t what Christ commanded, he said “keep DOING this”.

Do what? Turn up and “observe” a lot of people rejecting him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit