Annoying double standard...

by Aztec 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• Agent Double- O- Soul
    Agent Double- O- Soul

Personally I find Janis, with all her vocal power & persona, much more attractive than a skimpy dressed pouting bimbo type humping its fuzz box & fender twins at the camera in some predictable video.

00-Soul

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Yeah, Janis never got her kit off for the boys...

Oh, she did.

AlanF:

There's a difference between 'pretty good' and 'a voice so good and unique she should be an international singing star on that basis alone'. There are lots of pretty good voices.

Christina got where she is today through shrewd business management, luck, selecting the right image for marketing the product, having a voice that doesn't embaress her, having parents who gave her babe genes, and being quite prepared to wear or not wear things as is required to be succesful.

I think women should be proud of their bodies and I think skin taboos are silly, but I don't kid myself the amount of flesh that is on display has anything to do with her striking a blow for femininity or highlighting societies silly contradictions... it's to do with shifting units. I don't think she's wrong to do it either; if I was in her position I would rake it in while I could so I could spend the rest of my life doing what I wanted after my sixth and seventh albums get remaindered.

There's a difference between hearing a track and thinking 'ooo, that was a good song', and hearing a track and thinking 'my god that woman can sing'.

tyydyy:

As someone who plays, sings, writes and has performed live a little bit in a contemporary style, and someone who loves lots of music from the past three or four decades, I now find being exposed to the music my girlfriend does makes me realise most people who say;

If you'd rather sit in a quiet stuffy conservatory and listen to pure vocal virtuosos, feel free.

... have never sat in a conservatory and listened to pure vocal virtuosos.

My girlfriend is a bit of a purist when it comes to voical technique as I think she misses the point of performance styles sometime.

However, too often performance is all rputine and presentation, even if it is in tune, and not enough EMOTION gets in the song; she is spot ion in her critiques of people singing love songs either like they are a 12 year-old girl with a hair brush in front of a mirror, or like they are reading a shopping list.

On the other hand, the people who clap and scream at tuneless performances on Fame Academy et. al. and boo when one of the panalists point out the faults, also miss the point.

Out of tune is out of tune. Bad is bad. Effort is not good enough.

Any voice in the top 5% of the population can do what 90% of pop stars do, it's not that special.

Panda:

I think it is very selfish to get turned on by these young women and not realise what they go through to maintain the LOOK. 10 yr old girls are now dieting , being targeted by makeup advertisers and clothing companies who make clothes that say Playboy, toy etc. Most of these children are at an age of easy mind washing. They see and they want. But it starts even younger when their parents have them learning "the moves" from music videos.

Spot on; everyone is against child molesters, including the people who like Britney in her school-girl outfit. We teach our kids double standards; we demonise people who find them sexually attractive (rightfully so), and at the same time we idolise women who pretend to be jailbait. When the kids imitate these idols and start imitating adult modes of dress, we try to pretend that children are asexual until they hit 16. We end up with kids who don't know enough about sex to protect themselves from sexual predators who are dressed like jailbait. Dumb dumb dumb.

At the same time, I have to say, what is wrong (with regards to adults, obviously) of using sex to sell something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit