Troublesome Trinity Verses Part 10

by hooberus 126 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Earnest,

On Philo. Philo spoke in terms of a double creation of man. In the first account at Gen. 1:26 the 'heavenly man' is created, who is nothing but mind, and like God lacks a body. In Gen. 2:7 the 'earthly man' is created, when God shapes man's body out of the clay of the ground and breathes in him his Spirit, thus resulting in a being created of mind (or rational soul) and a body. The body belongs to the earth below, while the mind or spirit to the heavens above. Where does he say that the 'heavenly man' is an angel?

You state: "As you have mentioned previously that all things were made through him then he would be the only begotten directly by God. The fact that Heb. 1:6 says he was the firstbegotten shows that were other sons of God, as previously discussed in this thread."

If Jesus is the only begotten Son, then I fail to see how there can be other begotten sons? He would no longer be the only begotten, but God would have produced numerous other offspring. Besides, if only one Son is directly from God, from whom are the other sons? Were they begotten by Jesus? No, it says all things (including angels) were made, not begotten. Only the Son is begotten.

On Moses. No, he is not God like Jehovah. Jesus is superior to Moses. See Heb. 3.

On the thread you mentioned. Yes, I vaguely remember that one because I participated in it. But I need to re-read it to familiarize myself with it again.

For a consideration of 1 Cor. 15, there is an interesting thread on that right now entitled "Jesus Christ is still human." You might wish to read it:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/61530/1.ashx

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

P.S. On that thread. I went back to it. Yes, that was the one I had difficulty understanding where Alan was coming from. If I finally understood him correctly, he believes that you don't have false gods and a true God; you just have gods. Just like you don't have a true human and a false human, you just have humans. You don't have false cows and true cows you just have cows. So all are truly gods whether it be the Father , the Son, Satan, angels, idols, Baal, etc. What is false is the worship of any god but God (the Father). He believes the Bible teaches henotheism: the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods. What do you think?

• Dean Porter
    Dean Porter

Kennesson,

Fair enough, I hear what you are saying.

Personally, ( and with respect ) I can't say I agree with the point you make though. I don't think these terms were 'just the best words they could come up with '. Let's not forget these words are supposed to be INSPIRED and thus they should be the RIGHT AND ONLY WORDS to use.

I had a fruitful dialogue with LittleToe a few months ago where we discussed this point of Begotten.
    Whilst I would agree that Jesus existence is different from the Creation of which he was the Agent of ; I still see the biblical language as showing a difference in existence between the FATHER and the SON.

I appreciate the comments you have made.

As regards the Angel of the Lord. It is a good point you make about Gabriel.

However, what prompted my question was the conclusions that many Trinitarian Commentators have
    expressed in publications and internet sites I have read. The conclusion being that the Angel of the Lord was in fact the Pre-Incarnate Jesus.

I have read this conclusion recently in my copy of UNGERS Bible Handbook where Unger makes the point repeatedly that the theopanic Angel of the Lord was Jesus. It appears that the reason for this conclusion is because this Angel receives ' WORSHIP ' on many of its appearances.

So, to get around the problem of angels being worshipped , he believes it must be the second person of the trinity that is spoken of here as an Angel.

But therein lies the catch 22 of this reasoning.

If the Angel of the Lord is not Jesus, then angels can receive Worship; and therefore Jesus receiving Worship in the N.T. need not necessarily prove he is Jehovah.

Alternatively, if Jesus was the O.T. Angel of the Lord, then it is quite proper to think and speak of him in angelic terms despite what has been alledged on this thread.

I have to say it does seem strange that some trinitarians will argue against Jesus being spoken of as an Angel and other trinitarians will argue he was an Angel.

What do you think ?

regards,

Dean.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Dean,

Before I comment, I would appreciate to know which passages in the O.T. these writers suggest that the Angel of the Lord receives worship? I know of several passages where the Angel of Yahweh is not clearly distinguished from Yahweh Himself. See Gen. 16:13; 21:28; 32:13; Ex. 3:2, 4; Judges 6:14; 13:22. But that merely indicates to me that the messenger is an emissary speaking or working wonders in Yahweh's name and not that he is Yahweh Himself. Now I know of one case where 3 angels appeared to Abraham (Gen. 18:1-2) and 2 to Lot (Gen. 19:1)and that Abraham and Lot bowed down with their faces to the ground upon meeting the angels but I view this as gestures of salutation and respect, perhaps a type of bow like the Japanese employ, but certainly not worship. Anyway, I await the verses.

And kind regards to you.

• Dean Porter
    Dean Porter

kenneson,

Yes, I should have been more specific. I am thinking of several passages. Certainly, a couple of the ones you mentioned.

Exodus 3 ( Angel in the Burning Bush ) and Judges 13 ( manoah & wife ) are good examples but the one I found particularly interesting was Joshua 5: 14,15.

This is the account of Joshua meeting the Captain of the Lord's Host. Joshua ' worships ' before this angel. Now, Unger comments on this account and states that the Angel is the preincarnate Jesus as was the angel in the Burning Bush and the angel that appeared to Manoah.

Now if we look at the Joshua account in a neutral bible like the ' King James ' we see the expression Worship. Joshua worshipped the angel !

So what does this tell us about Worship given to authorised angels and the worship given to Jesus ?

Is Jesus the Captain of the hosts in this account and if so, is he not an Angel ?

regards,

Dean.

• sens
    sens

Ive given up on trying to understand the trinity...makes no sense...

I can understand how they can be 3 in union but how they get the point that Jesus is God I dont get.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Dean,

Rev. 7:11 uses language reminiscent of Joshua 5:13-14, so does this mean that God is not the one worshipped because Joshua prostrated himself before the angel? Since nowhere in the Old Testament is there an inkling that anyone but God can be worshipped, (see Ex. 20:2-5) why should we believe that Joshua was worshipping the angel rather than God? And if Joshua is really worshipping the angel, how does this differ from the worship angels give God in Rev.?

If angel worship was permitted in the O.T., why is it prohibited in the New? Col. 2:18

If the angel in Joshua is really the recipient of worship, why does the angel in Rev. 22:8-9 refuse the same?

Finally, since it is said that man is a little lower than the angels, (Ps. 8:5) how will man be able to judge them? (1 Cor. 6:3)

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

P.S. Matt. 4:10 "Then Jesus said to him: 'Go away, Satan! For it is written, 'It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.' "

• Earnest
    Earnest
    Where does [Philo] say that the 'heavenly man' is an angel? - Kenneson, 10-Nov-03 02:04 GMT

Kenneson, I think you misunderstood my earlier comment on Genesis 1:26. I said :

"As an aside, many (Philo, Jerome, Franz Delitzsch) interpret Genesis 1:26 as God's consultation with angels thereby attributing angels with the same image and likeness of God." (07-Nov-03 02:37 GMT)

I should have been more specific about that comment. Genesis 1:26 reads :

And God went on to say: "Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness..."

So the interpretation of Philo, Jerome, Delitzsch and most Jewish commentators is that when God says "Let us..." he is consulting with angels, who would thus be in the same image and likeness as God. He was not consulting with man, and so I was not suggesting that Philo (or any other commentator) viewed Adam as an angel.

If Jesus is the only begotten Son, then I fail to see how there can be other begotten sons? He would no longer be the only begotten, but God would have produced numerous other offspring. - Kenneson, 10-Nov-03 02:04 GMT

In my previous post I said "The fact that Heb. 1:6 says he was the firstbegotten shows that were other sons of God, as previously discussed in this thread." Now, if you speak of a firstbegotten son you are saying that there are other sons or there will be other sons. Otherwise, you would not speak of him as the firstbegotten. The word used (prototokos) occurs eight times in the NT (Luke 2:7; Romans 8:29; Colossians 1:15,18; Hebrews 1:6; 11:28; 12:23; Revelation 1:5) as well as the related word prototokia at Hebrews 12:16 and it always refers to the first of many (or in the case of Jacob and Esau, the first of two). I understand why you make the distinction between begetting and creation but the use of prototokos tells me that distinction does not always exist. Not only can those who are created also be begotten, but (if Proverbs 8 [LXX] does refer to the pre-existent Christ) then those who are begotten can also be created.

Besides, if only one Son is directly from God, from whom are the other sons? - Kenneson, 10-Nov-03 02:04 GMT

You have previously maintained that all things, including the sons of God, were created through him and for him.

On Moses. No, he is not God like Jehovah. Jesus is superior to Moses. See Heb. 3. - Kenneson, 10-Nov-03 02:04 GMT

Jehovah said he had made Moses God to Pharaoh (Exodus 7:1) just prior to the warnings given to Pharaoh and the onset of the plagues. Clearly, Moses was speaking as God's representative and Pharaoh recognised this as time and again he says "Entreat Jehovah..." (Exodus 8:8; 9:28; 10:17).

If I finally understood [AlanF] correctly, he believes that you don't have false gods and a true God; you just have gods. Just like you don't have a true human and a false human, you just have humans. You don't have false cows and true cows you just have cows. So all are truly gods whether it be the Father , the Son, Satan, angels, idols, Baal, etc. What is false is the worship of any god but God (the Father). He believes the Bible teaches henotheism: the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods. What do you think? - Kenneson, 10-Nov-03 03:40 GMT

I think your synopsis is correct and agree, with this qualification - that while it does not deny the existence of other gods, it denies the existence of other gods worthy of worship. This comes back to the point made earlier on this thread, that if we are to understand what the Bible writers meant we have to adopt the thinking of the audience for whom they wrote.

Earnest

• hooberus
    hooberus

"firstbegotten" - I believe that this refers to Christ's resurrection.

"And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him." Hebrews 1:6

"And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood," Revelation 1:5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit