Blood, HLC, question

by Celia 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hello everybody,

I happen to be the source of information Jacques Luc mentioned to Celia.

Just to introduce myself, I became a JW in 1972, at the age of 13. Then a pioneer and a member of the French Bethel from 1981 to 1985. Finally disfellowshipped on the grounds of "apostasy" in 1986.

The case I related to Jacques is the following: about 3 years ago, my father (who is still an elder among JWs, as far as I know) had to undergo a new heart surgical intervention. Although I had no direct contact with him, I heard from my stepsister (who is not a JW) that a few days before his hospitalization he received from the HLC some documents (probably not originated from the WT itself, rather something like a jurisprudence study in the press) to the effect that the hospital practitioners would not have any chance to be sued if they had to administer him a blood transfusion against his declared "will". As I understand, he was greatly relieved and gladly communicated the documents to his surgeon. That's all I know, and unfortunately I'm not in a position to check this matter further with him at the present time (hopefully someday!).

My guess is that through this kind of "double talk" the WT now tries to reduce as much as possible the casualties of its blood policy, without having to deny it "officially" through a "new light". Of course this case is related to the law and jurisprudence in France, but it may have some correspondence in other countries as well.

Bye,

Narkissos

• caspian
    caspian

Welcome Narkissos to the board

Cas

• Celia
    Celia

Narkissos,

Welcome to the board, and thank you for the explanation.

Hope to hear more about you

Celia

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Welcome to the board Narissos.

Very interesting circumstances concerning your father's care while at the hospital.

I know it will be impossible to get the information you speak about due to your situation, but what about that stepsister of yours??? It would really be interesting to see what the HLC is handing out in other countries. Especially countries where the WT has been accused of being a cult. The WT sure does whistle a different tune when it needs to.

I hope we hear more from you and especially keep us updated on how Crisis of Conscience is being received in France once it gets published there.

Hugs,

j2bf

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Welcome Narkissos

Good to have you on the board and to have your input. I suppose we will need more info to get to the bottom of this, but from what you relay from your " stepsister (who is not a JW)" it sounds similar to what is done here in the US to encourage Doctors to go ahead and provide health care to a JW.

a few days before his hospitalization he received from the HLC some documents (probably not originated from the WT itself, rather something like a jurisprudence study in the press) to the effect that the hospital practitioners would not have any chance to be sued

The difference here in the US is 'a few days before the hospitalization' we provide documents to the hospital and the doctors, including the Anesthesiologist, assuring them they will NOT BE SUED if they DO NOT GIVE BLOOD. This is of course because they must ignore the medical standard of care by accepting the JW's wishes and need the assure that they will not suffer litigation for not doing what is medically acceptable.

While in Europe they had to change their Disfellowshipping policy regarding blood, that would not alter the doctor's risk of liability if the PATIENT refuses blood, the medical staff conplys and then dies.

Is it possible your "stepsister (who is not a JW)" , not understanding the issues, may have confused what was presented to the hospital staff? While I hope what she relayed is true it sounds peculiarly similar to the WT normal procedure.

Hope someone in the country can validaate what is going on there.

Jst2laws

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Thank you for all your words of welcome.

Unfortunately I can't presently get anymore information from my stepsister either, because over the years I only heard of her when she had problems with her parents and never when they were getting on all right ? which now seems to be the case... ;-)) In fact they all moved recently, without leaving me any address, and I have no way to get in touch with them...

However I doubt she could have misunderstood the general import of the HLC communication, because she was well acquainted with the WT usual policy. What she told me about was quite new and unexpected. I?m sorry I did?nt ask more at the moment. I was not in touch with any xJW at that time and did not think the information could be useful to anybody else. I just smiled at the ?double talk? and felt happy that my father would receive the best possible medical care.

The alleged shift from disfellowshipping to disassociation for blood ?trespassing? does not in itself mean much. Just one more case of ?theocratic strategy?, probably. In the old days when military service was compulsory in France, the few young people among JWs who did comply were not disfellowshipped, but considered as ?disassociating themselves?; however the practical consequences were exactly the same. The nominal difference was apparently enough to clear the local WT of any suspicion of forbidden antimilitaristic propaganda.

As for ?Crisis of Conscience?, I must say I loved that book very much. In fact, shortly after I was disfellowshipped in 1986 (about one month after conscientiously partaking in my first and last Memorial :-)) I got in touch with Ray Franz through another French former witness and began translating the book into French. However, with the burden of studies and work at the same time I had to give it up after a few weeks. A few months ago I was very happpy to learn that the translation had finally been completed and was ready to be published: but finding an adequate and willing publisher still seems to be a difficult task!

Narkissos

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit