Blood, HLC, question

by Celia 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Celia
    Celia

Jacques Luc of Belgium has a question for anyone who knows about the no-blood policy.

When a JW enters a hospital for any treatment or surgery, he/she of course tells the staff that as a JW he/she can't accept any blood transfusion.

Now Jacques has heard from good authority, that in European countries, the Hospital Liaison Committee now gives the doctor or surgeon in charge of the JW patient a document from the Watch Tower Society, that says that if their conscience dictates them to use blood to treat the JW patient, the Watch Tower Society would not sue them, nor would the patient....

Has anyone else heard about this? Has anyone seen that document?

• blondie
    blondie

Celia, here in the US in my area, those forms are provided by the hospital. When a JW requests that they not be given blood during a procedure, the JW patient fills out this form and signs it in front of eyewitnesses. It releases the doctors, nurses, and hospital from any legal liability.

I was not aware that the HLC had such a form but they might if the hospital does not provide such a form or it does not cover all the bases.

A sidepoint, no-blood centers will not treat a JW unless they have a health care proxy on file detailing their health wishes.

Blondie

• Celia
    Celia

Blondie, As I understand, the document is read by the HLC to the doctor in charge and this document from the WTS tells the doctor that it's up to the doctor and the hospital staff to give blood if they decide it's necessary, not obeying the JW patient wishes will not get the hospital into trouble. In effect, it says, give blood if you have to, we don't care....

I can't explain it well, I just heard about it from Jacques, and he should be the one explaining what he has heard.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Interesting! I would love to get some confirmation/details on this. I know that the WTS has been getting a lot of flack on the blood issue from various European countries, and WTS legal is doing everything they can to straddle the fence. (E.g. the change from disfellowshipping to disassociation; the--very sensible--rule that parents shouldn't resist a court order.) I'm sure that the entire legal department would be overjoyed if the GB changed the policy and the whole matter just disappeared.

• blondie
    blondie
    As I understand, the document is read by the HLC to the doctor in charge and this document from the WTS tells the doctor that it's up to the doctor and the hospital staff to give blood if they decide it's necessary, not obeying the JW patient wishes will not get the hospital into trouble. In effect, it says, give blood if you have to, we don't care....

That is very interesting, Celia. Does the HLC leave a copy with the doctors? Or is this all verbal without a paper trail?

Sounds like the non-BOE letter about the change in the blood doctrine that the CO read to the BOEs. The elders could not look at the letter and it was not put in their file of letters.

But I wonder if the HLC wants to be interfering with the patient's personal decision. Is the letter read to the doctors by the HLC at the request of the JW patient?

Blondie

• caspian
    caspian

Good friend of mine is on the HLC I will call him and ask if there are any new directives.

Cas

• Celia
    Celia

Caspian : That would be terrific, thanks in advance. Jacques is trying to contact the person he heard it from for more details.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Yes, Celia

the rules have changed, especially in Europe.

The WTBT won't DF a person for taking blood products, even red blood cells, white blood cells, plasma or platelets (the major 4). Because several years ago the WTBT was being accused of being a cult and the European Council sited the refusal of blood products and the resulted DF'ing as the reason for their opinon of the WTBTs being a cult. So, the WT quietly changed their policy, never telling the Rank & File but publically in a written statement to the European Council.

I know there were some old threads about this, I will try to look up the information so you can have facts instead of just my opinion. In the meantime, if anyone else remembers this or if the AJWRB (www.ajwrb.org)(Elder Lee's site) has the info, I'll let you know.

Hugs,

j2bf

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

OK, good site:

http://www.ajwrb.org/basics/breaking.shtml

chronological history of the new blood policy.

j2bf

• Celia
    Celia

Thank you Joy. Jacques sent me an e-mail with more details about one case that took place in France 2 or 3 years ago. I haven't had the time to translate it yet. I am outdoors digging the carrots and cleaning the rabbit hutch....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit