WTS Chronology(Oslo Hypothesis) from Vicar;Trinity College Fellow,Cambridge

by Gamaliel 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

JCanon,

Those business documents, the ORIGINAL ONES, don't affect anybody's chronology. ...They are RELATIVE chronology and so simply don't matter. It's not the documents that were allowed to survie we're concerned about but the MISSING TEXTS we are concerned about.

You might be concerned. I haven't seen evidence of the MISSING texts yet, so I'm obviously not ready to decide what they must have said.

Furthermore, it's JOSEPHUS who claims there were 70 years for this period, right?

There WERE 70 years he had to account for in this period. But Josephus, until finally convinced otherwise, thought those 70 years were marked by events that didn't fit. He was in the same trouble the WTS is in, because he misinterpreted the Bible and/or gave his interpretation too much weight. I'm sure he looked for anything he could to make 70 years fit a time that seemed like it would make Jeremiah and Daniel appear correct. Most true believers will go to some length to be dishonest with the facts. Witnesses have noticed it about most other religions, and we've noticed it about the JWs. As you mentioned before however, in Apion, Josephus also finally admits only 50 years to a period that he had previously called 70 years.

So you have to fill in the years someplace.

Exactly. Josephus thought he was supporting the Bible over the Gentile records so he stuck his neck out a bit, but JWs are too afraid of the body of evidence to even hazard a guess where those extra years should go.

It is Josephus in Antiquities who says that Evil-Merodach ruled for 18 years!!!

It wasn't the only time Josephus would have been caught playing loosely with numbers. Besides, if the LXX of Jeremiah represents a Hebrew "vorlage" text earlier than the Masoretic, then obviously the same issue of ambiguity over the start of the 70 years had already been discussed in other circles, too. The changes between the LXX and MT are precisely of the kind that would move the focus away from Judea and it's temple, (producing a 50 year span of desolation) to the entire Babylonian period of supremacy (producing a 70 year spree of desolation among nations). The ambiguity may have caused problems for Jeremiah himself, or at least for the writer of Chronicles, and Josephus, and Barbour/Russell. But ultimately the 50 years was accepted by Josephus over the 70 for the period he had originally chosen, and the same must have been finally understood by the editors of Jeremiah who finally left us with a much clearer evidence that had previously been ambiguous in the LXX and DSS.

Further as far as destroying the "extra texts" I suppose you believe that is a SCIENTIFIC IMPOSSIBILITY, right?

Under the right circumstances it would have been possible. The evidence so far says that they didn't have the right circumstances. Too many scribes, too many people, too much area to cover, too much clay, too much sand, too much dry climate, too few reasons to go to the trouble.

I mean, you'd only need to find one or two libraries to have thousands of documents on your hand and consistent documeents, say, from every year of the king in a central archive. You're suggesting that no such central records were found.

That's the opposite of what I said. But I added that mentioning thousands doesn't get rid of the hundreds (maybe thousands) of non-centralized records. But even the word "centralized" is subjective; we have no criteria. Any two records found together may be argued to be therefore "centralized" if someone is fanatical about it. If the point was to smash the offending records, it strains credibility to believe that the Persians would be so careful to protect exactly 68/94ths of the time period covered, often right down to the very day. Why make this a harder job than it had to be. Your theory has Occam's blunt-bladed corollary written all over it.

...Thus the VAT4956 does that! It is a record that reflects two chronologies for the reign of Nebuchadnezzar existed during the Seleucid Period and one dated his year 37 to 568BCE and one to 511BCE. That's EVIDENCE of the conspiracy, and that also EXPLAINS why Josephus was claiming there were 26 years more in the Neo-Babylonian period than the REVISED documents show.

I haven't seen the direct evidence of this. If this theory can be agreed upon by competent people willing to publish and explain the findings thoroughly, I will be happy to follow up on the theory then. Right now, I don't have enough background or knowledge to evaluate the scant evidence you've shared.

So talk about the business documetns all you want to. It might be interesting to finally see just how many came from miscellaneous sources and how many were logged in from central archives. That would be a matter of research; something that I think could be confirmed. I wouldn't mind knowing more specifics. Can you find out? Since you brought up the business documents. Ask AlanF if he knows and provide us with a reference!!! Should be interesting.

It's of more interest to me that you didn't know yourself, but may have made some assumptions. Doesn't mean you are wrong, of course.

This is about what the RECORDS SAY. Olof Jonsson has a concept of what the "70 years" means in the Bible. That's fine. That has NOTHING to do with the RECORD that Josephus claims in Anterior. 11.1.1 that 70 years occurred in the 23rd of Nebuchadnezzar to the 1st of Cyrus. That's a RECORD that is there. And that's ALL I'm saying: "Hey, Josephus says seventy years was here? Strange. Why would he say that?"

For the same reason many other Bible interpreters come up with ways to make their interpretations fit. We see it happen every day.

[Sorry to skip over the astronomical discussion. I'll wait on the book.]

So the Bible's just a book of fantasies for you? Fine. Whatever. That's the Bible and you.

Hardly. The Bible is not just a book of fantasies. The Bible is exactly what it is -- another set of records. Much of it is very valuable, even for history and chronology. Much of it is very valuable to present evidence for exactly the kinds of historical and chronological cover-ups you have been talking about. I love the Bible because it combines puzzles and truths and myths and beliefs. It's the ultimate mystery novel, because people still believe it, so much so that they are still literally digging up new information on it every day. We still have piles of untranslated texts that can help us understand it better. Understanding it helps us understand the minds of many believers today. That includes the psychology of religion, cults, nationalism, mysticism, guilt. It includes sociology, science, anthropology, etc. etc. etc. I love the Bible; it's a treasure.

. I like discussing chronology and exposing liars, that's my thing. But you know, Gam, you have just told us how frustrated you are with the Bible. This is just your psychological way of dealing with it.

I am not frustrated with the Bible. It may have frustrated me the first time I read it in full around 1976. I needed answers around 1977. I gave it every benefit of the doubt until around 1980. But since then, I have enjoyed it thoroughly for over 20 years. It's made perfect sense to me and I'm interested in seeing that I try to evaluate all new evidence about it that I can. I'll evaluate your evidence as soon as I'm able -- but like I said, I won't be able to without the help of those who are more capable of understanding the type of evidence you are proposing.

So my PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT FOR THIS DISCUSSION IS: You felt a comfort level with the lines of evidence that would seem to contradict the Bible rather affectively. Now that those same records confirm absolutely that the Bible's chronology is true, which just means the Jews kept good records (no biggee, right?) and that the Persians were good at changing theirs, your little comfort level has eroded just a bit and you're feeling a bit embarrassed. You need to repeat to yourself that "this is not REAL"... because if it is, it's too much to comprehend.

No, I would love it if the Bible was a better historical record. If your evidence turns out to have any merit and it fits the Bible that would be truly remarkable. It would make it even more valuable for understanding a lot of things. I am no more comfortable or uncomfortable with the Bible's contradictions than I am with that of any other document. (I'm a little more uncomfortable with contradictions in papers coming out of the White House, of course, because they have a better chance of affecting me personally.) If it is "real," it would not be too much to comprehend, I'd think we could all comprehend it. But we all know about how easy it is to play with numbers and find whatever we are looking for. Russell and Barbour accepted what they understood (and misunderstood) from Elliott and others who worked much harder on it than they did, and they found nearly 10 evidences that indirectly pointed to 1874. They were so confident it led them to dates that they could never change "even by a year". The mind loves these kinds of tricks that see more in something than actually is there. That interests me, too.

You're like many others who seem to be frusted and angry with the Bible and with God for nothing being more cooperative in doing things YOUR way, I know. But that's YOUR EXPERIENCE and you're entitled to it.

Let's not "project" too much here, OK? If that were my experience I guess I would be frustrated. I have a completely different experience. My interest in this so far is like the interest in how Morman leader Joseph Smith, bought several papyri and immediately could tell that 100% of these came directly from the hand of three famous Biblical personages. Well, of course they did, and he "created knowledge" to prove it. So far that's my experience with your ability to re-manage the numbers in nearly 100% of the astronomical diaries. But I'm quite willing to give anything the benefit of the doubt when all the evidence is there.

IN my case, on this issue, I'M THE WINNER and the BIBLE is a winner.

I will try hard not to see any psychological explanations for that statement. I promise.

I'm into AHKENATON now, the Egyptian pharoah who became a monotheist!!!

Excellent. I have a couple great books about him. Also there was a great opening chapter in a book called "Heresy" or something like that I read in a library a couple years ago. I meant to find that book and finish it. Seems to be a lot of website material, too. It's of interest to me to see what factors have ultimately moved polytheistic peoples toward monotheism. Elaine Pagels also has some interesting thoughts on how the Christian version of monotheism is little more than a moralizing of the many "gods" we still accept. Angels of many kinds and the Holy Ghost, and the Word/Jesus/Christ, and the Father versus the "Devil" and demons of several types and abilities.

Take care, Gam... Sorry you feel you're in the dark. But I'm glad I'm in the light!! It's great!!!

I'm still trying hard not to read the typical psychoogical explanations into such statements. Here's to your success in convincing an expert about your theory. I'd hate to see how much more frustrating it will be for you to convince people if you have to add yet another conspiracy to your list. (I speak of course, of the commonly summoned "conspiracy of the experts" who want to hold to the status quo and don't want to embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues by standing behind the new evidence for whatever reasons. L Ron Hubbard had the psychologists, Rutherford had his "clergy of Christendom", etc.)

Cheers,

Gamaliel

• gumby
    gumby

I want to apologize for any criticizing I've done here for the efforts that have been made by the contributors regarding this subject .

I guess my emotions got the best of me resulting from being let down so many times by doctrinal changes within the Organisation.........and it not slowing them down! My family and all that I know within it, seem to go with the flow everytime I feel the shit will hit the fan with some major uncovering and exposer of the Watchtower Organisation. It never does.

I failed to be satisfied with the slow process it takes, and the relatively few it influences, in these efforts to weaken the Organisation, yet....a productive path it also takes. Many from this site have come out of the Organisation from learning of the UN coverup, siletlambs, generation change, baptismal formula changes, etc. I suppose I do not see just HOW much effect these changes cause, but I hope it bigger than it seems.

I see Apathy being the biggest factor working against the world of Jehovah's Witnesses, but with all the added exposer we can give them .....perhaps we will live to see it fall. I hope so.

Gumby

• JCanon
    JCanon
    I'm still trying hard not to read the typical psychoogical explanations into such statements. Here's to your success in convincing an expert about your theory. I'd hate to see how much more frustrating it will be for you to convince people if you have to add yet another conspiracy to your list. (I speak of course, of the commonly summoned "conspiracy of the experts" who want to hold to the status quo and don't want to embarrass themselves in front of their colleagues by standing behind the new evidence for whatever reasons. L Ron Hubbard had the psychologists, Rutherford had his "clergy of Christendom", etc.)

Well, Gam, I think we've covered this quite well, I've enjoyed the discussions. And I have been holding out on you a bit. In my research I came across others who had discovered some of the contradictions but were suppressed by the British Museum who control most of these records, so they hid some references they found when going through some texts at the British Museum.

Part of the conspiracy doesn't even involve the Bible though but the popular and idolized "Classical" philosophers Plato, Aristotle and Xenphon. Basically the story goes that Xenophon masterminded the revisions and got Plato and Aristotle to go along with it. Aristotle was the young lover of Socrates and Plato was just 8 years younger than Socrates who was friends with his older brothers. But when the Greek part of the history was revised they spread out this history and Socrates got stuck dated during the Peloponnesian War, would have then known Plato only late in life and would never have met Aristotle since his death was moved up from 366 to 399BCE. But the age of Aristotle at the time Socrates died, which was 19 can be used to reconstruct the Greek chronology since the age of Socrates is given for when he entered the war, age 32.

Aristotle was born in 484, age 19 in 365, Socrates would have been born in 435 and at 32 the war should have begun in 403. The war began on the 4th year of the Olmpic cycle which checks out. The 10th year of the war, if dated to 384BCE is 30 years from the invasion by Xerxes since a peace agreement expired that year. That dates the invasion by Xerxes and Battle of Salamis in 424BCE. That also has to be an Olympic year, which it was. 10 years earlier would be the battle of Salamis and the year of Darius' death. Since the Bible claims that Darius I died in his 6th year and the temple was completed the following spring, 433, then 22 years earlier should be the first of Cyrus; 433 plus 22 is 455BCE.

Point being, the "conspiracy" is known by others and has survived. Maybe they don't want to expose Aristotle as the homosexual lover of Socrates or whatever, but exposing the conspiracy would require a lot of exposure of the Greek historical side. So in a way, knowing this is a drak secret in some clandestine society of scholars is reassuring.

When the misrepresentation of the VAT4956 line 18 by Sachs/Hunger was reported to the British Museum all they said was "He who writes no books makes no errors" and did nothing to correct the text, though they admitted the reference was incorrect.

So, not only do some apparently already know about these dirty little secrets, but there is some resistance to expose it now. One day somebody who sees some money in it will spill the beans. In the meantime, the VAT49567 double dating is just an unfortunate surprise they hadn't seen coming which exposes the revisionism.

When I see the efforts to avoid Josephus and the dishonesty of people like Sachs/Hunger, I'm not really that worried about needing validation from anti-Biblicalists openly; especially since they have confirmed in more ways than one that I'm correct.

So basically what I got out of this was FREEDOM. "The TRUTH shall set you free!" I don't have to listen to dishonest and biased "academic" anti-Biblicalists now, nor can they criticize me for believing the Bible since I have an independent source better than anything they can come up with to prove the Persians changed their chronology. Anti-Biblicalism is alive and well in the academic community. It's just nice to have something that shuts them up once and for all.

So that's nice.

In the meantime, isn't it interesting that all of Socrates' dialogues were preserved by Plato, Xenophon and Aristotle but those dialogues are written in the first person? They had to get rid of most of Socrates' own writings because they were chronology sensitive. They claim he never wrote anything, but the diaglogues are in the first person.

So there are lots of ancient lies and because this was so well done, I think the preference was to maintain it. The Bible's references have to be put into context to see a direct contradiction to the chronology, but once you do it does and so now it testifies against the revisions. The VAT4956 is a critical piece of direct evidence of the conspiracy and the original dating, perperfecly in harmony with the Bible's chronology.

Anyhway, like I said, somebody will cop out one day and expose it all, in the meantime I have my corrected chronology so that's fine with me.

Cheerio,

JCanon

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Anyhway, like I said, somebody will cop out one day and expose it all, in the meantime I have my corrected chronology so that's fine with me. Cheerio, JCanon

Thank God. Can I go out and play now?....

HS

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Your criticism of my remark regarding Jonsson's historical blunder is mistaken. You claim that my reference in COC, 1992, 2nd., p.367 is an error. This edition which is the initial printing, May 1992 has the following on page 367 in the Appendix:

Now, for the first time, a measure of acknowledgement is made of the extent of the indebtedness to these other, earlier sources, as in the case of John A. Brown's development of the theory of the 'seven times' of Daniel chapter 4 as representing a period of 2,520 years and relating this to the 'times of the Gentiles' of Luke 21:24 --this some fifty years before Russell.

Franz was then of the view that Brown equated the Gentile Times with the seven times which contradicted Jonsson's view of the matter. The Society, however, holds that Brown did not equate these times but these were connected, It was not until the 4th edn of COC, that Franz in a footnote on page 179 corrected himself in deference to Jonsson. I would assume then that even in his 3rd edn this earlier opinion was held by Franz and was not publicly corrected until 2002.

Franz has made a historical blunder like Jonsson because if you read page 208 in Vol 2 of Brown's work you will see that the connection of the seven times and the Gentile Times is plainly made. Hence, Jonsson and Franz have shown themselves incompetent with the handling of modern historical sources. How then can Jonsson be trusted with any analysis of ancient primary sources?

You refer me to pages 142 and 143 in the belief that this is the material that I should gave referred to. You are mistaken because this material simply shows that Franz acknowledged Jonsson as his source and simply discusses the seven times, its duration, begiining and termination.

It is in the Appendix that Franz critically reviewed the Proclaimer's book where he agreed with the Society's position and it is in the self same critical review of the Proclaimer;s book, that Jonsson disagrees with the Society's position.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• AlanF
    AlanF

Well there, ?scholar?, as usual, every time you post, you get yourself in deeper. Let?s entertain our more masochistic readers a bit more, eh?

You said:

: Your criticism of my remark regarding Jonsson's historical blunder is mistaken.

Actually it?s ?mistaken? only because, in your usual fashion, you missed a very important piece of information, namely, mentioning the proper edition of CoC that you referenced. You see, there are actually at least two printings of the 2nd edition. We have, from the copyright pages of the two editions I have:

?SECOND EDITION, Initial printing, May 1992?

and

?SECOND EDITION, Initial printing, May 1992

Second printing, September 1994?

You misled your readers by stating that your reference came from the initial printing, whereas it actually came from the second printing. Until now, I was unaware of any differences.

Now, ?scholar?, this should have been very easy for you to spot simply by looking at the front cover. The second printing boldly displays the words:

?Second Edition

Updated, Fully Indexed?

Surely a scholar of your stature could not miss such a simple thing. But you?ve shown that you have no stature as a scholar, since missing such a simple thing by a simple thing is natural.

: You claim that my reference in COC, 1992, 2nd., p.367 is an error. This edition which is the initial printing, May 1992 has the following on page 367 in the Appendix:

Once again, this is not from the initial printing of May 1992, but is from the second printing of September 1994. This should have been obvious to you from the context. On page 366 Franz writes, ?As mentioned, in 1993, the Watch Tower Society published a new history of Jehovah?s Witnesses, titled Jehovah?s Witnesses -- Proclaimers of God?s Kingdom.? Now, ?scholar?, put your brain in gear and think: if Franz mentioned that the Proclaimers book was published in 1993, then your copy could not be the initial printing of 1992, could it? Of course not! In fact, statements in the 1993 Proclaimers book were the very basis for what you quoted here:

: Now, for the first time [first time where? In the Proclaimers book!] , a measure of acknowledgement is made of the extent of the indebtedness to these other, earlier sources, as in the case of John A. Brown's development of the theory of the 'seven times' of Daniel chapter 4 as representing a period of 2,520 years and relating this to the 'times of the Gentiles' of Luke 21:24 --this some fifty years before Russell.

So, ?scholar?, we once again invoke a principle that you yourself enunciated: ?neither of these men can interpret modern history so how is it possible they can be trusted with ancient primary sources.? You cannot interpret something as simple as a copyright page or a cover page, or figure out that a reference to a 1993 book cannot be made in a 1992 book. So how can you be trusted with any scholarly disciplines whatsoever?

: Franz was then of the view that Brown equated the Gentile Times with the seven times

Obviously you can?t understand what you quote. What does it say in the above material? ?John A. Brown's development of the theory of the 'seven times' of Daniel chapter 4 as representing a period of 2,520 years and relating this to the 'times of the Gentiles'. ? ?Relating? is not necessarily ?equating?. You yourself argue essentially the same thing below, by pointing out that ?equating? is not the same as ?connecting?. But even if Franz meant that Brown equated the two time periods, so what? One might claim that he misread Jonsson. One might speculate that he misread Brown. But I happen to know that Franz simply accepted what the Watchtower Society incorrectly wrote in the Proclaimers book, and substituted ?related? for ?connected?. Neither term is clear as to what Brown actually meant. So if you criticize Franz, you automatically criticize the Watchtower. If you?re so concerned, write to Franz and ask him ? if you dare.

: which contradicted Jonsson's view of the matter.

No, it does not. Jonsson says nothing about ?relating? or ?connecting?, but uses the word ?associate?. In GTR2 (1986), Jonsson writes:

The first expositor known to have arrived at a period of 2,520 years was John Aquila Brown in 1823. He did not associate this period with the Gentile times of Luke 21:24, however; to him the Gentile times were a period of 1,260 lunar years, corresponding to 1,242 Julian years (see Table 1).

All that this means is that Jonsson used ?associate? in a different way than Franz used ?relate?. The context shows that Jonsson meant ?equate?, because he specifically pointed out that Brown spoke of two periods: one of 2,520 years, and another ?a period of 1,260 lunar years? which comprised the ?Gentile times?.

For an extensive set of quotations on what Brown actually wrote about the connection between the ?Gentile times? of Luke 21 and the ?seven times? of Daniel 4, see my earlier post.

: The Society, however, holds that Brown did not equate these times

Since neither Jonsson nor Franz says that Brown equated the two time periods, your argument is a straw man.

Furthermore, it?s obvious that the Society?s use of ?connected? on page 134 of the Proclaimers book means ?equated?; otherwise there would have been no point in italicizing the point as if to correct or chastise another writer -- namely, Jonsson. The fact that the Society meant ?equated? is proved by the fact that when I discussed this matter with Governing Body member Albert Schroeder in late 1993, he understood it this way. Since Schroeder at that time was Chairman of the Writing Committee, he ought to have known.

: but these were connected, It was not until the 4th edn of COC, that Franz in a footnote on page 179 corrected himself in deference to Jonsson.

He didn?t ?correct himself?. He cleared up the ambiguity in the 2nd printing of the 2nd edition -- an ambiguity likely brought about by the Society?s own fuzzy comments in the Proclaimers book.

: I would assume then that even in his 3rd edn this earlier opinion was held by Franz and was not publicly corrected until 2002.

Your assumption is wrong. The 3rd edition (initial printing April 1999) contains the same footnote as the 4th edition. But so what?

: Franz has made a historical blunder like Jonsson because if you read page 208 in Vol 2 of Brown's work you will see that the connection of the seven times and the Gentile Times is plainly made.

A ?connection? can be claimed only if you clearly understand what Brown said -- which you obviously do not. I already explained this in a previous post. The Proclaimers book strongly implies that Brown equated the ?Gentile times? and the ?seven times?. Otherwise there would be no point in bringing the point up, much less emphasizing and italicizing it.

In a previous post, I posted an extensive set of quotations taken from Brown's book The Even-Tide, which indicate that he did not equate the periods, but related them in an interesting way. Brown said that the Gentile Times were a 1260 lunar year period ending in 1844, while the seven times were a 2520 solar year period ending in 1917. He said that there would be a 75 lunar year prophetic period from 1844 to 1917, during which all the signs associated with Jesus' second coming would occur. Since Brown related the two periods at their endpoints by adding 75 lunar years to 1844 to get to 1917, it can be said that he connected them, but he certainly did not equate them. But that is not the impression that the Proclaimers book gives, which is that Brown equated the periods.

Let?s look once again at what Brown writes on page 208 of Vol. 2:

The times of these monarchies are fixed by the ?seven times? of the symbolic image, and by the 1335 years of the Mohammedan Imposture.... then must it be maintained that the forty-five years of Daniel are the period of the second judgment; and commencing in 1873, are attended by the sitting of that judgment, and by the general resurrection, the last hour of which terminates with the ?seven times? of the monarchies, and with the 1335 Mohammedan years, in 1917.... The Saviour himself, speaking of the signs of his second coming, foretels all these events; and upon that memorable occasion, when he predicted the treading down of Jerusalem, and ?that the Jews should be led captive into all nations, during the times of the Gentiles, obviously refers to the sitting of the second judgment, at which he is to appear as the Judge. [Vol. 2, p. 208]

Nothing in this equates the ?Gentile times? and the ?seven times?. It only gives a vague impression that they are connected in some unspecified way via various prophecies. In what way does Brown connect them? Let?s see exactly how Brown defines his terms:

Here is Brown?s definition of the ?seven times?:

The ?seven times? would, therefore, be considered as a grand week of years, forming a period of two thousand five hundred and twenty years, and embracing the duration of the four tyrannical monarchies.... Commencing, therefore, the calculation of the ?seven times,? from the first year of Nebuchadnezzar, A.C. 604,... the termination of these 2520 years will fall out in the year 1917. [Vol. 2, p. 135]

Here is Brown?s definition of ?the 1335 years of the Mohammedan Imposture?:

It has been seen that the expiration of the 1335 Mohammedan years, and the completion of the forty-five years of Daniel, beyond the elongated period of the 1290 years, when the ?abomination which maketh desolate? is to be taken away, take place in the same year, 1917; and both these positions serve mutually to confirm and illustrate each other. [Vol. 2, p. 135]

When did the ?Mohammedan years? begin?

From the Hegira, May 622, to the finishing of the mystery, and the expulsion of the Turks from the Holy Land, who, succeeding the Saracens in their possession of that territory, continue still to scatter the power of the holy people, are to be reckoned twelve hundred and sixty Mohameddan years, or 1222 solar years, which end April, 1844. [Vol. 1, p. 60]

What exactly are the ?Gentile times??

The times of the Gentiles then are the duration of the Mohammedan power; and when the period of that tyranny is accomplished, Jerusalem will be no longer trodden down of the Gentiles. [Vol. 1, p. 35]

The Gentile times are connected with Revelation and are forty two months of years, or 1260 years long, and they are lunar years:

In the grand drama of the Apocalypse, the vision of the two witnesses occupies a conspicuous station. That prophecy is absolutely connected with the prediction of the Saviour, that ?Jerusalem should be trodden down of the Gentiles, till the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled;? and their times are defined to be 1260 years, or ?forty and two months.? [Vol. 1, p. 105]

What happens after the 1260 lunar years of the ?Gentile times? expires?

The time of the last judgment, when the reign of blessedness commences, and when all the wicked will be judged and consigned to their eternal abode... I assume to be the forty-five years, or elongated period beyond the thirty years of Daniel, when the ?abomination which maketh desolate? shall be taken away; which thirty years succeed the mystic ?time, times, and a half.? ?Blessed,? says the angel, ?is he that waiteth, and cometh to the thousand three hundred and five and thirty days,? xxi. 12. A period, therefore, of forty-five years remains to be accounted for.? [Vol. 2, p. 130]

Putting the above together, according to Brown's calculations the end of the ?seven times?, or 2,520 years, occurs after the end of 30 + 45 = 75 lunar years after the end of the Gentile times in 1844, or in 1917. Since the ?seven times? begins in ?the first year of Nebuchadnezzar, A.C. 604? and ends the year 1917, and the ?Gentile times? begins in 622 A.D. and ends in 1844, obviously Brown did not equate the two periods.

What was the relation between the two periods? Brown said that ?both these positions serve mutually to confirm and illustrate each other.? [Vol. 2, p. 135] So according to Brown, the two periods were connected, but only in the sense that they were complementary -- but not equal -- prophetic periods

Even you should be able to understand this exposition, ?scholar?.

: Hence, Jonsson and Franz have shown themselves incompetent with the handling of modern historical sources.

On the contrary, Jonsson got it right, and Franz simply followed what the Proclaimers book said without checking up on it.

No matter; Jonsson?s present exposition in GTR3 is completely correct, and so are Franz?s most recent comments.

: How then can Jonsson be trusted with any analysis of ancient primary sources?

Since the Watchtower got its statement about Brown?s connecting the two periods wrong, how can it be trusted with any analysis of ancient primary sources?

Since I pointed out the mistake to Governing Body member Albert Schroeder nearly ten years ago, why has the Society not corrected the Proclaimers book?

: You refer me to pages 142 and 143 in the belief that this is the material that I should gave referred to. You are mistaken because this material simply shows that Franz acknowledged Jonsson as his source and simply discusses the seven times, its duration, begiining and termination.

If you had managed to get your reference straight, there would have been no problem.

: It is in the Appendix that Franz critically reviewed the Proclaimer's book where he agreed with the Society's position

Having done no research of his own on what Brown wrote, he simply accepted what the Watchtower writer wrote in the book. How was he to know that the writer was incompetent?

: scholar

: BA MA Studies in Religion

I think it?s high time that you take some scholarly remedial reading classes. You sorely need them.

AlanF

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

Somebody has been doing their homework I can see!

Alan, do you like studying chronology?

• slippy
    slippy

Can someone post a link to the "Alleymom" discussion of the 607 issue?

Thanks.

Slip

• AlanF
    AlanF

setfreefinally said:

Alan, do you like studying chronology?

Sure. But not so much for its own sake as for the sake of showing the foolishness of Watchtower teachings.

Try this, slippy:

"Keep it Simple, Sweetie" http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/55372/1.ashx

If that's not what you're looking for, Alleymom has posted plenty of other things. Go to "member directory", look her up, then click on "Post history" or "Topic history".

AlanF

• scholar
    scholar

Alan F

Again you have soiled yourself, I wish you would be more careful. Your assertion that I misled readers by my referencing is blatantly false and only highlights your ignorance of academic conventions. Did you bother to consult any Style Manuals before you launched your criticism? Did

you consult the Chicago Manual of Style or the SBL Handbook of Style or any other style manual relative to the disciplines of theology and religious studies? I think not.

My referencing the quotation from COC is in accordance with current academic convention. Please refer to section 8.67 with the heading Date of Publication: I quote the following: "There may also be one or more dates shown in addition to the date of the copyright. Since those refer to reprintings, or new impressions, not to new editions, they should not be given for the date of publication" (Turabian, Kate L, A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 1996, 6th edn., p.134, University of Chicago Press, Chicago).

In short, I corectly gave the date of publication as the copyrighted date of 1992, 2nd edn. which also is similarly listed on the inside title page

I will respond to your response to the historical blunder made by Franz and Jonsson as alleged by me in a couple of days.

Your favorite scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit