WTS Chronology(Oslo Hypothesis) from Vicar;Trinity College Fellow,Cambridge

by Gamaliel 90 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

It is good that you have drawn attention to the work of Eliott's work which shows that expositors at that time had a much greater appreciation for the relevance of chronology to prophecy which remains foundational to WT chronology. This is in sharp contrast to the empty Jonsson hypothesis whic his now under serious challeng by Furuli's scholarship. The Jonsson hypothesis contains an historical blunder when it claims that John Aquila Brown did not associate the Gentile Times with the seven times. The Society in its Proclaimeers book, p. 134 notes that Brown connected these times. Raymond Franz in his Crisis of Conscrience, 1992, 2nd edn.,p.367 agrees with the Society and takes the opposite view to Jonsson who first made this claim in his original treatise.

Now Franz in his latest edition has chanfged his mind and now supports Jonsson which means that neither of these men can interpret modern history so how is it possible they can be trusted with ancient primary sources. Penton using Barbour also provides information that supports the Society's postion on this simple historical fact that Brown did connect the Gentile Times with the seven times.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I assume that a statement I found on a Website ( http://www.bibledecoded.com/understanding120.html ) reflects the statement from COJ that is in question here:

The original calculations were mostly based on dates from John Aquila Brown, who in 1823 published The Even-Tide in which he claimed that the "seven times" of Daniel 4 were a period of 2520 years running from the beginning of Nebuchadnezzar?s reign in 604 B.C.E. to 1917 C.E. While Brown never equated the 2520 years with the "Gentile Times," other writers soon did.

I believe this is so from what I can gather in Portuguese on the site ( http://geocities.com/observa3/gentios1.htm ) which translates a few chapters of the GTR book. I see that the Proclaimer's book contradicts this, as you said, when it states that J.A.Brown (and Elliott) did tie Daniel's 7 times to the Gentile Times. (I see that Elliott was mentioned in the Proclaimer's book, although I can't verify that Elliott made a direct connection between Daniel's 7 Times and the Gentile times, either.) I noticed from the Portuguese site that COJ identifies some writers who had identified the 1,290 days (years) with the Gentile Times (all the way back to the 1300's and 1500's.

By the way, what is this Jonsson hypothesis, exactly? Previously I understood you to identify the "hypothesis" of COJ with the the numbers of deportations COJ proposes and/or the possible meanings of desolation in Jeremiah and other scriptures. Now, if you are saying this "hypothesis" is weakened by a possibility that J A Brown associated the Gentile Times with the 7 Times, then you have obviously widened the scope of this proposed "hypothesis." You're starting to remind me of a JW friend of mine who has pointed out typos in Ray Franz' CoC book.

To be fair, your point was: "neither of these men can interpret modern history so how is it possible they can be trusted with ancient primary sources." That's not a complete non sequitor, but I can't see a direct connection, either. That's like saying the Bible is worthless because of copying errors, or that your ideas are worthless because of that glaring mistake you made over at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/57055/839862/post.ashx#839862 when you said:

Yes, accurate and reliable chronology gives the reign of Nabonidus from 556-539 BCE of some seventeen years. Interestlingly, Carl Jonsson in his GTR, 1998, p.91, ftn.1. gives a reign of 16 years from 555-539 BCE.

Sometime soon, I will give my experience in finding a series of about 5 historical mistakes in the book "God's Kingdom of 1,000 Years Has Approached" (ka). After mentioning them to the right person, the upshot was that we were going to study the book again, but, of course, with no changes or corrections to the book. During the second study I discovered another 5 or so mistakes. That book ultimately led me to realize that the dishonesty was on purpose. Basically, I ended up leaving the JWs because I found exactly this type of dishonesty to be pervasive. After all, if these men cannot interpret their modern history how can they be trusted with ancient primary sources? What's worse, it was obvious that the writer of the ka book DID know how to interpret their modern history, but deliberately chose to lie about it. Quite a difference in that and this single mistake you are claiming out of thousands of facts.

Gamaliel

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

I forgot to mention above that alleymom wisely corrected your mistake with her post at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/57055/840965/post.ashx#840965 which said in part:

You have made a mistake and I hope you will retract it.

Carl Olof Jonsson does NOT say that Nabonidus reigned only 16 years. Throughout his book The Gentile Times Reconsidered, he says over and over again that Nabonidus reigned 17 years. There is not one place in the entire book where he says Nabonidus reigned "16" or "sixteen" years. You made that up yourself by taking two of his numbers and subtracting them, without understanding whether COJ was using inclusive or exclusive reckoning. You then attributed the results of your own erroneous calculation to COJ and put words in his mouth.

First of all, please note that you made an error in your citation. You refer to footnote 1 on page 91. That is a mistake. The footnote is on page 90.

[followed by Alleymom's clear explanation of your math mistake.]

Followed by your retraction (or at least your last reponse in the thread):

You are right about the page number when I referred to GTR, it should have read p. 90 than p. 91. I simply showed the different reigns for moth computations to illustrate the difference of the dates given by both sources for the beginning and end of the reign of Nabonidus of about 17 years.

Your "retraction," of course, wouldn't directly admit the real mistake, although it did refer directly to your insignificant page number mistake. So much for scholastic honesty! Still, I'm glad that C O Jonsson's book is being looked at carefully, for whatever reasons. However, I hope the above also helps you understand why I'm still suspicious of your claims about Jonsson. You failed miserably with that last attempt to discredit him.

Gamaliel

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Gamaliel,

: I had noticed the point about 606 meaning Nebuchadnezzar's succession and invasion of Judah. I'm glad you brought it up. This understanding is better suited to the more probable meaning of Jeremiah and Chronicles when the 70 years are identified for Babylon's rise to power affecting all nations around Judea, rather than their specific association for 70 years with Judea herself. Is there more evidence that this is how Elliott saw it

I don't know. I didn't read Elliott's works other than to find out what he had to say about 1914 and his reasoning on related items.

: and that Barbour simply misunderstood, or did Barbour purposely make the change believing that all chronology before 536 BCE was murky (and therefore flexible) as Jerry Leslie (Bible Student) says about Russell?

My impression is that Barbour rejected Elliott's understanding and adopted that of Christopher Bowen. This seems to have occurred sometime between early 1874 and June, 1875, when he published the first of the new Herald of the Morning tracts, since the available material from 1874 and earlier doesn't show anything like what he adopted by 1875 as his view of Babylonian chronology.

: I had mentioned some plans to you for the end of summer. Those plans have changed. I'll write or call you about it on the weekend if you are not terribly busy.

Call any time you like, except that I'm probably going up into Rocky Mountain National Park for the entire day Sunday. Otherwise, most weeknights are fine.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Gamaliel said:

: do you (or perhaps AlanF) know how to get ahold of the "revived" issues of The Bible Examiner?

Why not write directly to Jonsson and find out? Email me for his email address.

AlanF

• AlanF
    AlanF

Hi Gamaliel,

You'll be entertained by this post, I think. "Scholar" has really hoist himself by his own petard this time.

Now, "scholar", you wrote:

: It is good that you have drawn attention to the work of Eliott's work which shows that expositors at that time had a much greater appreciation for the relevance of chronology to prophecy which remains foundational to WT chronology.

A far more accurate statement is that those men were fanatical nutcases just like Barbour, Russell and today's Watchtower leaders, and they imposed their own desire for the ?end of the world? on various Bible statements, many of which were never even meant to be prophecies at all or prophecies with a fulfillment beyond the time of the Israelites. The fact that virtually all of what seem to have been intended as long range prophecies have utterly failed proves that these men put their faith in nothing more than their own dreams and guesses.

: This is in sharp contrast to the empty Jonsson hypothesis

Again you prove that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Jonsson is a biblical inerrantist and certainly believes in Bible prophecy.

: whic his now under serious challeng by Furuli's scholarship.

Serious challenge my ass. I've read Furuli's book and it contains a good deal of misrepresentation and skirting of issues -- just like your own foolishness on this board.

Now we will see how a true non-scholar hoists himself by his own petard several times in one paragraph. But this is par for the course for "scholar".

: The Jonsson hypothesis contains an historical blunder when it claims that John Aquila Brown did not associate the Gentile Times with the seven times. The Society in its Proclaimeers book, p. 134 notes that Brown connected these times. Raymond Franz in his Crisis of Conscrience, 1992, 2nd edn.,p.367 agrees with the Society and takes the opposite view to Jonsson who first made this claim in his original treatise.

A minor but still telling point: page 367 of the 2nd edition (initial printing, May 1992) contains Franz's letter appealing his disfellowshipping. The pages you should have referenced are 142 and 143. If you can't manage to get a simple thing like a page number right, then how can anyone trust you with the interpretation of ancient sources like the Bible?

A major point is that your claim that Franz agrees with the Society and takes the opposite view of Jonsson is simply wrong. Franz doesn't even mention ?the Gentile Times? in connection with John Aquila Brown, in any edition of Crisis of Conscience. In the 2nd edition he writes:

The evidence is that Brown was the real originator of the interpretation of the "seven times" of Daniel chapter four, the interpretation that produces the 2,520 years by means of the day-year formula.
    Brown first published this interpretation in 1823 and his method converted the "seven times" into 2,520 years in exactly the same way found today in Watch Tower publications.

So all Franz said was that Brown converted the "seven times" of Daniel 4 to 2,520 years, but said nothing about the ?Gentile Times?. Once again, "scholar", you demonstrate an astounding inability to understand what you read.

: Now Franz in his latest edition has chanfged his mind and now supports Jonsson

Wrong. The material in the 2nd edition is almost identical to that in the 4th edition (pp. 178-9). Neither mentions the Gentile times in connection with Brown. What the 4th edition contains that the 2nd does not is footnote 5 (p. 179), which explains that the Proclaimers book is wrong in stating that Brown "connected" the "seven times" with the ?Gentile Times?.

: which means that neither of these men can interpret modern history so how is it possible they can be trusted with ancient primary sources.

You've hoist yourself by your own petard with this one, "scholar", and your beloved Watchtower Society as well. We will keep this principle of interpretation in mind in that which follows.

: Penton using Barbour also provides information that supports the Society's postion on this simple historical fact that Brown did connect the Gentile Times with the seven times.

Penton was wrong.

Brown explicitly states that the Gentile times could not have begun so early as the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. He was trying to give evidence for his claim that they began much later, with Mohammed's flight from Mecca in 622 A.D. (the Hegira).

It was revealed to St. John [in the Revelation] as determined, that the outer court, and the holy city also, should be given up to the Gentiles, to be trodden under foot forty and two months. In extending the significant figures of the symbol, the inference will arise, that Jerusalem and all Judea were to be surrendered for the appointed time as a possession to these Mohammedan infidels; and such has in reality been the fact.... This part of the revelation unquestionably coincides with that of Luke, and proves that the time of the treading down of Jerusalem by the Gentiles, as declared by our Lord, till the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled, and which times are by this revelation, clearly affirmed to be twelve hundred and sixty years, cannot derive their commencement from so early a period as the destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman armies; and therefore, also, that the Roman insignia cannot be the ?abomination of desolation? spoken of by Him. [Vol. 1, pp. 48-9]

Brown makes some statements that can be put together into some semblance of organization:

The times of the Gentiles then are the duration of the Mohammedan power; and when the period of that tyranny is accomplished, Jerusalem will be no longer trodden down of the Gentiles. [Vol. 1, p. 35]

The Gentile times are connected with Revelation and are forty two months of years, or 1260 years long, and they are lunar years:

In the grand drama of the Apocalypse, the vision of the two witnesses occupies a conspicuous station. That prophecy is absolutely connected with the prediction of the Saviour, that ?Jerusalem should be trodden down of the Gentiles, till the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled;? and their times are defined to be 1260 years, or ?forty and two months.? [Vol. 1, p. 105]

Brown states clearly when the 1260 years of the Gentile times end:

The first proposition maintained, and which may be denominated, The duration of the mystery and bondage of the holy people, is that --
    From the Hegira, May 622, to the finishing of the mystery, and the expulsion of the Turks from the Holy Land, who, succeeding the Saracens in their possession of that territory, continue still to scatter the power of the holy people, are to be reckoned twelve hundred and sixty Mohameddan years, or 1222 solar years, which end April, 1844. [Vol. 1, p. 60]

Brown explicitly said that the seven times of Nebuchadnezzar's dream were a different prophetic period from the ?3 1/2 times? he applied to the Gentile times. Arguing that the seven times did not mean seven days or seven years, he said:

They are ?seven times,? and, therefore, are to be taken in the same symbolical sense as other prophetical periods, and as the ?time, times, and a half;? and, if this opinion be correct, then must the history of Nebuchadnezzar be taken in its typical import. The ?seven times? would, therefore, be considered as a grand week of years, forming a period of two thousand five hundred and twenty years, and embracing the duration of the four tyrannical monarchies.... Commencing, therefore, the calculation of the ?seven times,? from the first year of Nebuchadnezzar, A.C. 604,... the termination of these 2520 years will fall out in the year 1917. It has been seen that the expiration of the 1335 Mohammedan years, and the completion of the forty-five years of Daniel, beyond the elongated period of the 1290 years, when the ?abomination which maketh desolate? is to be taken away, take place in the same year, 1917; and both these positions serve mutually to confirm and illustrate each other. [Vol. 2, p. 135]

d In keeping with the style of many other commentators of the 19th century, and of course, their offspring, the Watchtower Society and Jehovah?s Witnesses, Brown was very confident of his dates:

To me it appears as much a matter of certainty, as if a voice were heard from heaven, proclaiming the year 1844 to be the grand crisis of the nations, and the year 1917 to be the last year of the second and final judgment, and of the sentence of ?the quick and the dead,? that judgment commencing at the second epoch of 1873. [Vol. 2, p. 170]

Other statements relevant to the discussion may be found in Vol. 1, pp. VII-VIII, XI, XII, and Vol. 2, pp. 130-4, 152-5, 168-9, 171-2, 193, and 196.

Given the above information, it?s evident that the writers of the Proclaimers book were unable to understand what they read in Brown?s book -- if they read it at all.

Now, ?scholar?, you stated a principle above, that since ?neither of these men can interpret modern history so how is it possible they can be trusted with ancient primary sources.? Since Brown?s book is certainly modern compared with ?ancient primary sources?, and Watchtower ?scholars? cannot understand what they read in it, and if you believe what you wrote, you?ve proved to yourself that Watchtower writers cannot be trusted properly to interpret ancient primary sources. And since you haven?t the sense to do your own research, but put complete faith in these demonstrably incompetent Watchtower ?scholars?, neither can you. By the same line of reasoning, neither can Rolf Furuli.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

AlanF,

Great stuff Alan! Do you by any chance have a BA in religion? I do hope so as if you have not I would be forced to conclude that your post has little if any serious value. I would then have to go back to the Kingdom Hall and pretend that the two volume set of books published by the WTS that inteprets the book of Isaiah has some value, apart of course from providing work for unemployed plumbers who need to unblock the numerous toilet systems whose pipes are plugged due to the lack of porous paper used in their construction.

Best regards - HS

• setfreefinally
    setfreefinally

Hillary, You is funny man!

AlanF, thanks for all the research!

Scolar, are you as entertained as I am?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Hehe.............any response, Scholar?

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

AlanF,

Thanks for that. Good work again, of course. And quite entertaining. (I wrote you an email, btw.) I had to suspect that this was the case. I set up the reminders of "scholar's" failure the last time he tried this, but didn't have the wherewithal to press the point. Thanks for coming to truth's rescue.

Seems like scholar hasn't yet figured out that if his venerated Society could be wrong in the past then it can also be wrong in the present. Amazing how he thought he found a mistake in COJ just because it he was directly contradicted in the Proclaimer's book.

We'll see if so-called "scholar" has the integrity to face this issue, or if he simply admits to getting a page number wrong in CoC, exactly as he did in his previously aborted attempt to discredit COJ, quoted above.

I've been reading as much of Elliott's Horae Apocalypticae, Henry Fynes Clinton, and Christopher Bowen as I could find. (Christopher Bowen's charts and work were published in Elliott's work.) Even got to read some of the related works of three different 19th century writers all named John Brown.

Because of the connection to the trampling with the 1,260 in Revelation, it seems a much better exegesis anyway to link the 1,260 (sometimes 1,290) with the Gentile Times, rather than the WTS's 2,520. This was the solution that those just before (and long before) J A Brown had already used and those just after him had also used. Problem was that all the best starting points would land a 1,260ish year period for the Gentile Times somewhere between 500CE and 1330CE, a few hundred years shy of the great religious events surrounding or after the Reformation. To make it useful you had to stop it at some Catholic Papal concern or with Mohammed. (Elliott spent so much time on the Muslim connection that he wrote long sections in Horae Apocalypticae on just that subject.)

Only a 2,520 year length could reach up to the "current" times or even much further into the future. I can just see the 8,000 Memorial partakers in the Watchtower Society 500-some-odd years from now, voting to change the starting point to 70 CE -- and expecting Armageddon in 2590 CE. When even that fails, I guess they could try adding the 1260 to the 2520 and expecting Armageddon sometime between 3780 CE and 3850 CE.

Gamaliel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit