Should Difference of Opinion Be Squelched On Sites Such As FB or Twitter?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Rand paul?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

There is a difference between an opinion and incitation to violence/hatred. If someone tells people to come and protest, that’s an opinion. If someone advises people to commit crimes (storm a federal building, burn/break anything, use violence), that’s beyond freedom of speech.

I don’t know what Trump wrote on FB or twitter, but from what I’ve heard him say on TV, he was inciting to a big loud protest; he didn’t ask anyone to do anything illegal. We can argue that it was ill advised and that the events that happened were predictable, but it wasn’t clear cut promotion of violence. When it comes to freedom of expression, it is better to err on the side of caution rather than the opposite. You need to have a clear case to shut the mic down. Is that what happened with Trump? I don’t know; I don’t know what he wrote. But I’m willing to bet that it was not and that the social media have overstepped their boundaries.

• TD
    TD

Trump is not guilty of incitement under D.C. law. I don't know why the Dems keep saying that.

As things stand right now though, our right of free speech is a restriction on the ability of government to suppress it.

A social media outlet is under no more obligation to let you publish your opinion than a newspaper is. Which is none at all

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

There is, of course, much misinformation circulating on the internet, and particularly on social media.

Hence the recent call by the Australian Medical Association for a media campaign to correct this - at least as it applies to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Action needed to tackle health misinformation on internet, social media | AMA

• pistolpete
  • frozen2018
    frozen2018

Twitter tweeted today:

"Access to information and freedom of expression, including the public conversation on Twitter, is never more important than during democratic processes, particularly elections."

And this:

"Ahead of the Ugandan election, we're hearing reports that Internet service providers are being ordered to block social media and messaging apps.

We strongly condemn internet shutdowns – they are hugely harmful, violate basic human rights and the principles of the #OpenInternet."

Apparently Twitter's position is "shut downs for thee, not me."

https://twitter.com/Policy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit