Should Difference of Opinion Be Squelched On Sites Such As FB or Twitter?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• millie210
    millie210

CBS has a show on Sunday mornings called "Full Measure"

The interview this morning was with a whistleblower from Google named Vorhees.

Among other things he said Google runs an algorithm called

"Machine Learning Fairness"

It is an artificial intelligence program thats purpose is to intervene when humans are being "unfair".wether what they are saying is factual or not.

He gave a non-political example of if a person googled "CEO's of companies. What would show up is a huge prorportion of men's photos.

the AI program would deem this unfair and add pictures of women which while not "factual" is believed by Google to be more "fair".

Sundar Pichai CEO of Google testified before Congress that they don't have blacklists

that they don't approach their work with a political viewpoint.

The whistle blower then gave examples of how this is untrue.

Other media giants were mentioned besides Google.

Example: In the early days of the virus, CNN said masks not effective and FaceBook allowed it.

In addition, FB banned ads on the sale of medical masks at that time

FB is spending millions to fund the Fact Checker organizations. Many of these organizations are also anti Trump

"Science Feedback" is an example of one of their fact-checker on Wuhan that was wrong in its data - they were wrong because they used an American scientist who worked in Wuhan as their source.

Another example is given:

Twitter deleted a New York Times expose on Hunter Biden. Jack Dorsey CEO of Twitter declined to be interviewed for this show.

This show is called "FULL MEASURE" and is carried by CBS and hosted by Sharyl Atkisson.

There are more inflammatory things said, such as the whistleblower finally resigned when he realized Google was in fact attempting a coup on the President of the United States.

• minimus
    minimus

All I know is that the Establishment is trying to censor everything that doesn’t fall in line with their thinking. The Secret Police are watching you. This is not paranoia. Unfortunately this is the new reality. If you say you like Trump, you are blackballed.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What makes anyone thing that they and their family can't be cancelled from all internet access and basic services.

The belief that somehow "going along to get along" is the answer. The belief that one can negotiate from a position of weakness or servitude. The same mentality that allows someone to build a home on the banks of a river, and then whine when the river floods and they lose their home.

• millie210
    millie210
    The belief that somehow "going along to get along" is the answer.

Dont folks know, you"appear" to go along until your plan is ready to execute. And then you act!

Geesh, even I know that.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I'm against the bakery who will not bake the cake for the gay couple.

I'm against the pharmacist who refuses to fill the birth-control order.

I'm against the photographer who refuses to shoot photos for a gay wedding.

I'm against Facebook, Twitter and Apple banning anyone from their websites who have views they don't agree with.

If Facebook, Twitter and Apple are in the wrong, why isn't the baker, pharmacist and photographer (who refuse to render their services because of conscious matters)?

You cannot pick and choose which companies should be given rights to refuse their services and force others to provide a service!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Rules

Forcing a person to engage in another's belief(religion) is where to draw the line. The baker has to know enough about the ceremony to use his skill, same for the photog. Neither tried to prevent the wedding. The pharmacist i think should have filled the script, same as letting an employee use insurance as seen fit.

These big platforms are in fact public utilities.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    These big platforms are in fact public utilities.

Social media as a public utility

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Applying the term public utility to social media implies that social media websites are public necessities, and, consequently, should be regulated by the government. While social media are not as essential for survival as traditional public utilities such as electricity, water, and natural gas, many people believe it has become vital for living in an interconnected world and without it, living a successful life would be difficult.[9] Therefore, many people believe that social media has reached utility status and should be treated as a public utility. However, others believe that this is not true because social media are constantly revolutionizing and giving such platforms "utility status" would result in government regulation, which would consequently hinder innovation. Over the past decade many have debated and questioned whether or not "Internet service providers should be considered essential facilities or natural monopolies and regulated as public utilities."[10]

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

“When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.” George R.R. Martin

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Do I think Twitter should censor a president? No

But should a president foment an insurrection? No

A simple solution would be to house the would-be insurrectionist in a suitable facility. I hear that such places don’t allow access to Twitter in any case, so problem solved.

• Simon
    Simon
    But should a president foment an insurrection? No

That didn't happen and you know it. If you think it did, then the leader of the opposition did the same earlier, so that was a coup attempt.

It was a protest, which is allowed and encouraged. It was "mostly peaceful". The level of violence and destruction mean it would have barely made the top 10 protests of 2020.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit