Should Difference of Opinion Be Squelched On Sites Such As FB or Twitter?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are we talking about the same thing? People stormed the US senate during its verification of the democratic election with the intention of overturning the result. Elected official ran for their lives. Five people died. The confederate flag was raised inside the Capitol, something that never happened even during the civil war. So what was that? Just because it failed doesn’t mean it wasn’t an attempted insurrection. Some are calling it an attempted putsch, which seems appropriate. In the history of revolutions there’s sometimes a very thin line between a farce and a successful coup. These things shouldn’t be taken lightly. Next time they may be better organised.

• millie210
    millie210

We all walk through our days thinking our opinion is the correct one but a good way to test ourselves is to reverse the players and see if our personal thoughts still hold.

Here's an example.

@benshapiro·

Imagine if, in the midst of the massive BLM riots this summer, the entire tech infrastructure had deplatformed Facebook because some had used that app to plan events devolving into violence. People would rightly have called that an insane act of ideological fascism.

• glow
    glow

The tech giants have actually been pretty clear in their reasoning. For instance, Amazon took down Parler because they refused to moderate content about killing named individuals. I think you can argue about the first amendment and whether some of this stuff is hyperbole, but when the same people then go out and kill/try to kill people and have a coup it seems pretty straight forward to refuse to provide them your services.

For context, here is the angry mop being a cop to death:

https://twitter.com/BillWeirCNN/status/1348395383916027906

• millie210
    millie210

Here is some more context,,,,

I read yesterday that the Chinese Communist Party is allowed on twitter? As is The Ayatollah?

Or to use a direct line of reasoning from your post,,,,they took down Parler because they refused to moderate content about killing named individuals.

So lets look objectively at this...

That post by Kathy Griffin of her holding what appeared as the bloody severed head of the President of the United States, because according to her - she was mad at him for the way he treated a reporter?

Did you know that like a shark in the water that smells blood she has now reposted it?

And that she bragged about how it was no big deal to just take it down, AGAIN?

Heres her post

Kathy Griffin
    A) Twitter locked me out for a few minutes because I reposted my famous Trump photo. Tons of right wing blue checks from James Woods to Q anon crazy Congresswoman Marjorie Greene reported me. All I had to do was delete the post.

So she did it once, now she does it again (and he's still the President) and she gets a couple of minutes smack on the hand?

This is the danger in these techie boys getting to play judge AND policeman. They are all over the board, thats not justice thats a monopoly.
  • Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@slimboyfat: this summer, BLM stormed the Capitol of Washington, Arizona, Florida and other states as well, chained themselves to the doors and forced Senators to step over them in the hallways.

They actually grafitti'd (they call them murals, but whatever), encouraged by the mayor of Washington DC, in front of the White House, on several Federal buildings, on the walls of the SAME Capitol building and this went on for WEEKS. DC and Capitol Police, did nothing until late at night when they had to vacate the buildings, and then there were fires set at these same buildings. Yet some Trump protest gets a bit rowdy, and immediately police get cleared to start shooting.

The BLM protestors actually attempted to firebomb Washington DC, Portland, Seattle federal court houses with actual Molotov cocktails. They blinded cops with lasers, they organized an ambush on Twitter and Facebook and killed 5 cops. They killed 17 innocent people during these 'peaceful protests' with the attempted murder of many more simply because they were white or in the wrong place, all videotaped, from Kenosha to NYC.

Yet, now you are supposed to be upset about the same things happening from the right? Are the regular citizens and whites somehow just supposed to sit around and let the left destroy our lives, and we can't protest, we can't vote? When we have to defend ourselves, because the cops won't show up, like that couple, like Kyle Rittenhouse, a person in NYC that shot an attacker, the truck driver that accidentally got stuck in a protest, the cars that were suddenly swarmed on the highway - and then you want to PROSECUTE those people for self defense.

In a few days there will be another, now properly armed "protest" in DC and across the nation from the ones that are fed up by the people cramming down their swamp.

• glow
    glow

@millie210:

Amazon is not Twitter and hosting a social network is not like letting a user post on your platform. Different platforms have different standards for moderation and I am not going to pretend they are consistent between them or even apply the standards consistently within a platform.

I am not sure what you are arguing asides pointing out these double standards. Do you think Amazon should have kept hosting Parler despite their refusal to stay within the terms of service?

• millie210
    millie210

I didn't realize my post was vague but I will try to be clearer.

These huge all-encompassing social media monoliths need to enforce their standards equally and they are not.

The "are not" is provable and is the problem.

• minimus
    minimus

Millie 👍

• minimus
    minimus

This stuff is so obvious. If the conservative side says something they are quieted. If the Libs do it it’s because they know what’s best for everyone. Any dissenting voice against them and you are liable to be removed from the platform

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

If the conservative side says something they are quieted. If the Libs do it it’s because they know what’s best for everyone. Any dissenting voice against them and you are liable to be removed from the platform

It's like a BIG WATCHTOWER RELIGION has taken over the entire Country.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit