Should Difference of Opinion Be Squelched On Sites Such As FB or Twitter?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• millie210
    millie210

"We dont see things as they are we see them as we are" - quote attributable to varied sources

Most of us here have come out of a controlling religion. Does that make us more easily controlled in the future because the neurons and pathways of memory already exist inside of us?

Or does escaping one trap set by men make us extremely aware of another one when we see it?

• minimus
    minimus

If you don’t follow the “rules “ by Big Tech and Big Government you are done. It’s the way it is now.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    millie210

Most of us here have come out of a controlling religion. Does that make us more easily controlled in the future because the neurons and pathways of memory already exist inside of us?

Or does escaping one trap set by men make us extremely aware of another one when we see it?

That’s a good question. I choose the second case and here’s why.

Escaping a trap set by men is not the only “Way” that people become “Aware” of traps. Traps are set for the ignorant. But age, experience, and education are also avenues for people to “Become ‘aware of traps”

The awareness is not so much the traps set for us, but instead, -----the awareness is finding out the reality of what the human species is all about.

And sorry to say, but our history as a species, does not bode well, from as far as we can tell, from all our historical records.

Will we ever figure out that in order to live peacefully with one another, we have to share equally the finite resources the earth is capable of providing?

To do so, there can be NO-One Person in the entire earth, that has more power, than any other person living on the same planet.

Inequality in any form, whether (Political, Wealth, sustenance, etc.) will always be a catalyst for conflict.

A new Ruler is asked a simple, unexpected question, after the overthrow of a dystopian, Society run by a Tyrannical Government that dehumanized the masses by creating environmental disaster, and violence in the form of wars. And to top it all off, daily life for the masses was riddled with urban crimes led by gangs, and Government sponsored blood sports.

But finally all that is over. A new Ruler takes the reigns.

quote;

QUESTION;

“Are you preparing for another war?

NEW RULER; "Oh, not now. Now we're in a sweet period where everyone agrees that our recent horrors should never be repeated," he says.

"But collective thinking is usually short-lived. We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self-destruction. Although who knows? Maybe this will be it,”

• millie210
    millie210

pistolpete have you read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu?

It's not about war so much as strategy. I think you would like it.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

pistolpete have you read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu?

It's not about war so much as strategy. I think you would like it.

Yes I have, read it a while back when I started College. Good read!📕

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Haven't read through entire thread - just some quick thoughts

FB and Twitter - they are companies and like WT can do what they want BUT it is misleading to get people to believe they can say anything they like. Also not nice if your words and other data are used for analysis that is exploitative/against your personal interests.

Freedom of speech - it is a Christian concept although it has been extended into the secular world and become freedom to argue or freedom to have different sets of values and priorities/faith or no faith or in between.

(Hebrews 3:6) . . .We are the house of that One, if we make fast our hold on our freeness of speech and our boasting over the hope firm to the end.

The way I read that scripture is to mean that if in the face of opposition we stand up for Jesus Christ and don't get cowed, then we are of His house. It doesn't mean say whatever you want, regarless of whether it is sensible, realistic, true etc.

But getting back to FB and Twitter, just as some of us naively believed WT was Christian, so some believed FB and Twitter allowed you to say anything you liked. But now some are waking up. So if you want to go on a platform you need to find one where the values of the owner most closely match your own. Or learn to code and set up your own.

You could start here

https://www.w3schools.com/php/

And here

https://www.w3schools.com/php/php_mysql_intro.asp

• Simon
    Simon
    if you want to go on a platform you need to find one where the values of the owner most closely match your own. Or learn to code and set up your own.

That is as practical as "build your own power station if you aren't happy that the supplier cut you off", or "build a pipe to the ocean and purify your own water".

While you can build a platform, they control the internet, they control the hosting, they control the DNS and the operating systems. Even if you don't run on their servers, they can take you down in an instant if they want to.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Yes fair point - but it's as much as I could think of and if they do cut your power supply off what can you do? Try to build your own and/or make do with what resources you do have.

The companies that run the various platform do not love you. So how could you make them allow you to do anything if the powers-that-be make it impossible?

Control what you can and be as clever as you can. Some people can be ingenious (and selfless). Also situations change and maybe assets which were not at your disposal become available to you to control.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The right is already building these platforms. They will become invite only and they will host even more hostility, now competent hidden from view.

Twitter and FaceBook both already took a 5% nosedive today. That is a combined loss of $40B from these two companies in 24 hours. Amazon, Google and Apple all took a 2% hit when the market has been growing around them. That is billions erased over woke bullshit. And it serves them right.

And then the establishment will be surprised when the next revolution happens.

• TD
    TD

I was amused when Facebook banned the "Free States Militia" which is actually a faction in a survival themed video game and not a real militia at all.

Until the courts rule one way or the other on the status of these companies I would say they have not just a right, but an obligation to remove certain content, but gee....

They're way too trigger-happy right now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit