Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• berrygerry
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

Honestly, this (1) topic cannot be brought up enough. I'm 36. Growing up as a young child in the 1980's, it was constantly drilled into our heads from not only the literature, but also from the podium in particular that us "kids" surely wouldn't ever grow up to be adults in "this System of Things.". The 1984 literature in particular really drove it home and worked everyone up into a preaching frenzy. For God's sake, the entire 1914 Generation doctrine was used as "absolute Proof", that the Society had the "Truth", and if people didn't accept this twisted biblical mathematical wizardry, well then they were going to be in the Lake of Fire along with Satan himself! Honestly, growing up in the 1980's was scary because of this cult. Every single political action or news piece was more proof that we were deep in the "time of the end", and that the Great Tribulation would break out at any time. There was constant speculation as to whom the King of North was, and when the United Nations would turn on religion and destroy it. As I recall, the fall of the Berlin Wall combined with the demise of the former USSR, really shock things up for the WTBTS. I mean it's like the hot air had left the balloon. Totally crushed their paranoid delusions of fantasy. After about 1992, it was all over. 1992 marked the year that the Oracle, Fred Franz, finally departed from "The Launch Pad." (Bethelites will get this reference) The 1995 Generation change was the first step in wiping all of that Fred Franz apocalyptic crap under the rug, and finally with this current Governing Body, right out the door!!! Even crazy Fred's "types and anti-types" crap is totally GONE!!! This was just stated within the past year in WT articles. No more types and anti-types, and applying future fulfillment on previous prophecy.

So yeah, saying this is a different religion from the one I was born into in 1979, would be a complete understatement. My parents have already passed away, going on 10 years now. Their jaws would be on the floor to see what for a sham this has all become now. They just simply wouldn't believe it. Hell, I'm still alive, and I can barely believe the convoluted BS that continues to be spew forth.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

You are 100% right about the old ones dying off and the R&F losing that institutional memory.

But they also count on the training we all got to just go with what they say because they are speaking for god.
    Reminds me of this from 1984.

BLACKWHITE: Applied to a Party member, it means a loyal willingness to say that black is white when Party discipline demands this. But it means also the ability to believe that black is white, and more, to know that black is white, and to forget that one has ever believed the contrary. This demands a continuous alteration of the past, made possible by the system of thought which really embraces all the rest, and which is known in Newspeak as doublethink.
    — Orwell, 1984
  • ttdtt
    ttdtt

This says it all I think

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I remember working for a company in the mid 1980's and I was so sure that the end was so close and that the generation of 1914 was a brilliant inspired bible prophecy and was completely flawless , what with 1986 being The International Year Of Peace I was constantly speaking about it with them, they must have thought I was bonkers.30 years down the line...............
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I remember graduating from high school in 1968. A fellow graduating JW student (Manfred Groulx) told me that he would not be going to college and that there was not enough time to have a career because this system of things would come to an end in 1975 and that I'd better become a witness before it is too late. I told him that he would wake up in 1976 with egg all over his face.

By the way, I happen to own the October 22, 1995 and November 22, 1995 Awake Mags where the masthead (purpose) changed to eliminate the 1914 generation. I was quite surprised to find them in my collection.

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

They just simply wouldn't believe it. Hell, I'm still alive, and I can barely believe the convoluted BS that continues to be spew forth. - Wingcommander

Not surprised we have a lot of older ones in my hall and they just keep accepting all the changes as Jehovah's blessing, 'we must keep up with the celestial chariot'. As long as they keep drinking the kool aid they will swallow whatever's given to them, it seems odd to us because we see it from the outside looking in. It grossly apparent.

I remember the "1914 Generation will absolutely not pass away before the end comes", when I was studying to get baptized, I remember a elder trying to reason with me, saying "do the math, how many more years are left? 5?maybe... 7? Most of the anointed are in their 80's or 90's we are right at the threshold". "The doors of the Ark are open but not for long, Jehovah will close them and bar them closed, now is the time for action before its to late."

Now, they dismiss the whole thing as an unfortunate misunderstanding, clearer understanding has prevailed. yet no consideration for the lives affected, for the lives wasted in preaching lies. Now we must muster up courage and preach different lies, more complicated lies we cant even explain. The Overlapping Generations nonsense, I just consider myself fortunate, I unplugged when I did.

• sparky1
    sparky1

"One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth forever" - Ecclesiastes 1:4 King James Version.

I guess this is one scripture that the Governing Body(tm) interprets literally.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Would Jehovah really choose this organization being that its a commercialized false prophet. ?

The Watchtower Corporation has been selling false prophecies for over a 100 years,

It hasn't stopped because it has pretentiously made a pronouncement that it the one and only true bible interpreters and all others are false.

........ as long as the WTS continues, so will the lies and corruption.

The WTS is publishing house of Charlatanism and the JWS are its coerced and designated sales representatives.

• LettMorrisSplaneit
    LettMorrisSplaneit
    Does anyone know where I can find a copy of this 1995 article? I would love to read it now that I'm awake. Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit