Another generation....

by joey jojo 241 Replies latest jw experiences

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

It has been 21 years since the 1995 article that pretty much buried the idea of the '1914 generation'.

Remember those guys? The ones born in 1914 that would still be alive when the end of the system arrived.

I'm glad I'm old enough to remember going from door to door, preaching this belief. The reason I say that is because I have a lot of 'still in' JW friends and family. The 'kids' I grew up with 'in the truth' now have adult children of their own. Yet, I realised that any 'born in' dub would have to be at least 26- 30 years old to even vaguely remember preaching about the 'original generation' of 1914.

That means that the children of my friends that I used to go door to door with have no memory of the 'single generation' 1914 teaching. As far as I know, the jw.org website only has publications going back as far as 2000, so researching it through official channels presents a problem, unless they come to websites like this one.

Theres something about this that really bothers me. Like the original belief that Armageddon will start in 1914- which was then changed when it didn't happen, the society's survival seems to rely on older ones dying off along with their memories of what they were taught and preached as truth. Once the old generation are gone (along with their inconvenient memories), its time to roll out the next change of doctrine.

I doubt there has ever been so much rapid change in the organisation. I can't help but think its just all sizzle to disguise the fact that there is no steak anymore.

• Lostwun
    Lostwun
    Joey I share the same sentiments as you. Same regurgitated crap in different packaging for the new generation
  • Alive!
    Alive!
    Horrible isn't it?
  • smiddy
    smiddy

What other organization out their is so ashamed , embarrassed ,about their beginnings , early history that they go to such lengths to hide and bury the past.

Normally , organizations are very proud of their early beginnings and like to showcase them off.

Not Jehovah`s Witnesses

And when you compare what the WTB&TS does say on occasion about their past , with what they actually published back then , it becomes very evident they are re-writing history

It just doesn`t match up.

smiddy

• LettMorrisSplaneit
    LettMorrisSplaneit

I was a bright eyed 20 yr old Reg Pioneer in '95. The 1914 generation teaching was one of the biggest reasons why I started pioneering right out of HS instead of going to college. Nobody talks about it anymore, the overlapping gen teaching is an insult to our intelligence, so people don't even discuss it. This one teaching has affected the lives of millions and the WT doesn't even have the guts to own up to it and admit they got it all wrong.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

'95? What about '75, Each generation leaves the landmarks behind. They get smaller and smaller as they recede into the distance.

Put into the mix a ban on any sort of questioning discussion and you have rose coloured specs looking at la-la land.

• SpiritualGal08
    SpiritualGal08
    Joey, I appreciate you bringing up the 1995 Generation WT Study article as this was the first hint for me that something wasn't right. I remember sitting in the audience of the Circuit Assembly as this article was summarized and it simply did not have the proverbial 'ring of truth' to it. I was born into the 'truth' in 1971, and my first memories were right at the height of the 1975 craze. I believed it all sincerely, until that change in 1995. So many JW's have no clue as to what their belief system is based on, the real history of the organization. So sad, really...
  • Lee Elder
    Lee Elder
    I can remember giving the public talk on the generation of 1914 to many different congregations. I was the Watchtower Study conductor when this article came out, and it hit me between the eyes like a brick. My thought was, if they could be wrong about something so important and prominent in their theology, they could be wrong about other important things as well. The first thing I decided to carefully investigate was the blood issue, and it didn't take too long to figure out they had missed the whole point there as well, with even greater negative consequences. This article was the beginning of the end for me.
  • honest
    honest
    I was told by my young jw nephew that the society never said that the generation that saw 1914 will not pass away. Then I looked at him and said dude you weren't born yet and that was most certainly the Teaching and to go home and ask his parents. he never brang it up again.
  • joey jojo
    joey jojo

Honest

'I was told by my young jw nephew that the society never said that the generation that saw 1914 will not pass away. Then I looked at him and said dude you weren't born yet and that was most certainly the Teaching and to go home and ask his parents. he never brang it up again. '

Honest, this is exactly what disturbs me about all this.

Just like 1975, how long before no one will remember, or admit to remembering, the original understanding of the 1914 generation?

Whenever you claim to represent God and publish teachings in his name, preach these teachings to the world as truth, then change them, that's called blasphemy, presumptuousness and bringing reproach to God's name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit