2016-1-12-BOE--Mentioning Donation Arrangement to Householder!

by Atlantis 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• freddo
    freddo

In the UK we were told not to initiate mentioning donations from the outset (early 1990's?) of the donation arrangement - this was due to strict charity/tax rules in the UK.

So this letter is because now we are being fed all things "United States" (as in US English) on broadcasts and OCLAMS we need separate clarification by letter.

A few years back before JW.Orgasm we had Kingdom Ministrys in British English and the field service report and occasionally other items would reflect the British field.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    I seem to remember it starting with not being able to charge for the mags any more too Freddo. Can anyone remember the phrase we were told to use? Something about 'without charge but not without cost', is that right?
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**Something about 'without charge but not without cost', is that right?**

Exactly. If I can recall, they left it up to the individual JW if they wanted to throw out the donation phrase to the householder. If I am not mistaken.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It is clear to see that Jehovah is directing his earthly organization to our benefit.

This. It's as if they continuously forget Eph 1:22 regarding Christ: "He also subjected all things under his feet and made him head over all things with regard to the congregation"

What did Jehovah do, make Jesus head, then take it back?

• smiddy
    smiddy

So the bottom line is put the householder on the spot and embarrass him/her into making a donation , knowing that a good percentage of householders will do so .

smiddy

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Let's not forget that the only reason the "donation" arrangement exists is because Jimmy Swaggert ( I think...) got busted for some scam. ( Which ALL organized religion is. )

The WTBTS attempted to come to the aid of whichever televangelist it was, by standing up for them in court! When the scam-artist lost, the WTBTS quickly received a message from Jeehoobidoob and implemented the "donation" arrangement in an attempt to distance themselves from greedy false religions who "sold" religion.

DD

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**Something about 'without charge but not without cost', is that right**

About right. Some carefully chosen words by local JWs.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember when it was hard for me and other jws to say this:

*** km 12/89 p. 8 par. 5 Presenting the Good News—To Youths ***

Then say: “Please notice what this new publication says on page 77. [Read an appropriate paragraph.] Do you think a study of the Bible would help youths to cope with this problem? [Allow for a comment.] Note what the Bible says at Psalm 119:9. [Read.] This book shows you how the Bible can help young people cope with difficult situations, such as those listed in the contents. [Hand him the book.] It is yours for the contribution of $1.50.”

*** km 5/90 pp. 7-8 pars. 2-7 Use Our Literature Wisely ***

At the end of February 1990, it was explained that magazines and literature will be provided to publishers and to the interested public on a complete donation basis, that is, without asking or suggesting that a specific contribution be made as a precondition to receiving an item. When literature is offered, voluntary donations will be accepted to support the worldwide work of publishing the good news. We have faith that Jehovah will bless this arrangement.—Compare Matthew 6:33.

HANDLING SITUATIONS IN THE FIELD

3 We will continue to use Topics for Conversation to stimulate interest. Where no interest is shown, there is no need to offer the literature. We do not want to waste any of our literature by offering it to those with no interest. On the other hand, where interest is shown and the householder agrees to read the literature, it may be offered. We want to use our literature wisely.

4 The following are some remarks you might make after showing the literature: “If you would enjoy reading this publication, I would be happy to leave it with you.” Likely the householder will ask: “How much does it cost?” You could reply: “We are not engaged in a commercial work. We are not selling this literature. The work we are doing in your neighborhood today is being done voluntarily in 212 lands around the world to help people learn the way to everlasting life. If you would care to make a donation toward this work, I would be glad to accept it.”

5 When offering the magazines, you could raise questions about a specific article and then say: “I would like you to note the details in this article. If you would like to read these two magazines, I would be happy to leave them with you.” If they are accepted, you could add: “I am glad to be able to make this information available to you. I think you will find the subject truly informative. In fact, I would like to come back next week to get your viewpoint. You will note that The Watchtower is published in 107 languages and distributed in nearly 14,000,000 copies around the world. This work is all supported by voluntary donations. If you also care to make a small donation toward this educational work, we will be happy to accept it.”

6 In some cases, the subject of donations for our worldwide work may be awkward to discuss. For example, an interested householder may ask: “Are you giving it away?” We might reply: “If you want to read the publication and would like to have it, yes, it’s yours. I would like to stop by next week to discuss what we have talked about and to tell you more about our worldwide work.” On subsequent visits the householder may be informed as to how our work is financed.

7 Or the householder may immediately accept the literature and reply, “Thank you.” You could respond by saying: “You are welcome. I know you will enjoy it. Many wonder how this work is financed, since we do it worldwide. Many who accept our publications have expressed appreciation for what they will learn and have volunteered a small donation to make further distribution possible. If people do that, we are pleased to accept it.”

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

**Let's not forget that the only reason the "donation" arrangement exists is because Jimmy Swaggert ( I think...) got busted for some scam. ( Which ALL organized religion is. )**

I remember that well. It was around late 1989 or even into 1990, Swaggert on TV with that tearful apology.

Not long after that, the Borg introduces that **donation** arrangement. I didn't realize it then, but now in hindsight it was so the Borg would avoid having to pay taxes if the **work** was supported by donations. And the JWs not **charging** the householder a small amount to cover printing costs!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit