This is an absolute classic

by joe134cd 21 Replies latest social humour

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Not an apologist here (as you know if you read my posts) but have Billy Bob call the Catholic Church or Salvation Army or Joyce Meyer Ministries with that line of BS and I doubt they'd even be that patient. At least I got a chuckle or two, but I'll never get back that 20 minutes.

I think it's healthier to keep moving ahead to becoming an ex-ex-JW instead of letting so much time and energy continued to be wasted with the Cult. JMHO. Now, if something like this has a therapeutic value, then have at it.

Let's review: It's a Cult!

• steve2
    steve2

I agree DOC. Try phoning any other religious group and claim a sob story about a parent’s bequeathing all their possesions snd property to the religious group and see what response you get. If the spotlight should go on anyone here it’s the mother who made no provision for her son - although he was supposed to be still living with her. BTW, under New Zealand law, any person who makes a will that excludes potentially bona fide claimants can appeal to the courts to have a judge decide what he/she gets. In the present “fake” case there is a greater chance of a good outcome for the son given that he was apparently not excluded by name from the Will. I suspect any western country’s law would not be too different.

Again, perhaps inadvertently, jw org’s spokespeople actually handled this difficult “prank” scenario well.

• unsure
    unsure

Oh my goodness... IT'S A PRANK CALL. Way too much analysis for something that is a practical joke, for goodness sake.

From Wikipedia, "A prank call (also known as a crank call, phony callor hoax call) is a telephone practical joke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prank_call

• steve2
    steve2

It’s a prank call, you and others have argued, unsure. So what? That does not change any of my previous comments. I know it was a prank call - it’s obvious from the OP.

By your argument, because it’s a prank call, anything goes? My response had more to do with the caller’s attitude towards the JW spokespeople. He treated them appallingly yet they remained polite and courteous towards him. The “brother” even complied with the caller’s insistence he keep apologising (7 times!).

If you’re into making people look stupid, nothing I can say will reach you. But if you recognise that there are limits on what a prank call can involve,there’s a possibility you will get my main point: the caller used a made-up scenario to try to trick the JW spokespeople into saying things he could use against them. What is amazing Is this: The caller ended up unintentionally sounding like an unhinged bully and the JW spokespeople maintained their dignity and compassion throughout. As others have said, the caller’s exploiting human vulnerability (asking JW spokespeople if he can go back home) ruins what little good he was trying to achieve.

God knows JW .org needs exposing, but not this stupid time waster. From a legal point of view, the prank call is an embarrassing mess.

• unsure
    unsure

With all the damage the Watchtower corporation has done to people's lives, you choose to poo poo a relatively harmless prank call towards them but praise the Watchtower operator? Wowzers. I was bullied my whole life so no, I'm not into making people look silly when they did nothing wrong but the Watchtower has ruined people. I'm done with this conversation and the disgusting Watchtower apologetics.

• unsure
    unsure

With all the damage the Watchtower corporation has done to people's lives, you choose to poo poo a relatively harmless prank call towards them but praise the Watchtower operator? Wowzers. I was bullied my whole life so no, I'm not into making people look silly when they did nothing wrong but the Watchtower has ruined people. I'm done with this conversation and the disgusting Watchtower apologetics.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Well done? Hilarious? Adjectives that wouldn't have come to my mind.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Now ... If someone did a Dr. Phil soundboard prank call to Watchtower ... That could be hilarious. 😂🤣

• atomant
    atomant

lm amazed how many x jw's are praising the the jw;s in the handling of this fake call.l shudder to think how many people have been adversely affected by this exact scenario.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I watched the video and came away with a few thoughts:

• Wow....there is actually an entire department dedicated to handling the estates donated by JWs ??
    • This was an obvious joke but I suppose something like that could happen to a family member who was dependent upon properties or funds donated to the Watchtower by another family member.
    • The people on the phone were extremely patient and kind.
    • The video to some degree undermines the legitimacy of those who have serious complaints against the Watchtower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit