Do You Automatically Believe Everything A Poster Says About Him/Herself?

by minimus 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

No I don't automatically believe everything a poster says about himself/herself..

not do I believe everything I read in the newspaper either..

Sometimes, I'll go back through posts and topics and see if a person is consistent...or not...

Being a J.W. and then getting out of it.. has made me a bit distrustful.

but the beneifits of leaving J.W.s has let me be more open and forgiving of others faults.

special k

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Usually, unless the have a derivative of the name jehovah, god or salvation in their alias.......

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I generally believe people until I have a reason not to.

I have been burned a few times...partly because my life is so weird that the bizarre is normal to me...but I am slowly training myself to listen to the flags that pop up when I am getting to know someone.

• RAYZORBLADE
  • plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I always gave everyone the benefit of the doubt most of my life. Unfortunately I've been hurt a lot by those people, my whole life. Now it is the other way around. I don't necessarily distrust people or assume they are dishonest, however I am very cautious of people until I have known them for quite awhile. My husband for example, 11 years after I met him I married him. .

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Xena : I tend to trust someone until given reason not to.

and most of the time I tend to read in beetween the lines (any kind the subject)

• freein89
    freein89

I have been very inconsistent, does that mean people don't think I am sincere? I am honestly wondering what people think of me. A lot of what I post here is determined by my mood or how I have been touched by what I see here. Sometimes I am bitter and resentful, not of people here, but because of the pain of the JW experience. Sometimes I am optimistic-rainbows and sunshine and sometimes I am so angry about what I and others have had to go through.

The thing is that I care about and need the community that I have found here. When I first found the site I was moved and touched and just jumped in when I was ready to post. I wanted to tell my story and I just spilled my guts. Did people here suspect me? Perhaps I should have gone more slowly, I wish I had. My story was true but now I wonder if I should have told it.

Was I guilty because of what my husband did? With the JW's I was, and its one of the reasons I left. Was I guilty here too? I feel sorta bad now, was I too trusting, was I a gullible fool? Am I taken seriously? I have never disregarded or suspected anyone, why would I? I am confused and worried

Deb

• patio34
    patio34

No, i never would. The term "believe" is a bit of a problem. I don't DISbelieve what is said, just absorb it. If it becomes a bit too fantastic, that's a lot of red flags for me, or if they're seeking something, such as money, etc.

Belief is linked to trust. I wouldn't trust anything anyone said until I knew them. But that doesn't mean I DIStrust them either. I'd have to say I'd suspend judgment for a bit.

If they weren't asking anything of me, I'd tend to extend a bit more. But it's not something I think about consciously. As Amazing said, sometimes the BS detector starts ringing.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit