Things Learned Along the Way

by blondie 431 Replies latest jw friends

• lost_sheep
    lost_sheep

"The big print giveth and the small print taketh away." - Tom Waits

"Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy." - Albert Einstein

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part, and you've got to put your bodies on the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all!" - Mario Savio

"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?" - Ray Bradbury

• blondie
    blondie

Wisdom from George Carlin:

IN THE FUTURE

All the knowledge in the world will be contained on a single, tiny silicon chip which someone will misplace.

• blondie
    blondie

Headlines that made me take a second look and read:

U.S. tracks bank records in terror investigations

Government gained access to international database shortly after Sept. 11

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13492032/

Hello, Moon

Has America's low-rise obsession gone too far?

By Amanda Fortini
    Posted Wednesday, June 21, 2006, at 7:08 AM ET

http://www.slate.com/id/2143246/?GT1=8295

Magnetic Device Prevents Migraine From Turning Into A HeadacheBy Kathy Jones
    Jun 22, 2006, 19:57

http://www.foodconsumer.org/777/8/Magnetic_Device_Prevents_Migraine_From_Turning_Into_A_Headache.shtml

• blondie
    blondie

July 3, 2006

George Carlin:

A lot of the people who worry about the safety of nuclear plants don't bother using their seat belts.

• blondie
    blondie

So how is calculus going to the this JW sister a part-time job so she can pioneer?

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060716/NEWS01/607160355

Article published Jul 16, 2006

2006 Academic All-Stars 1 of 10: Paloma Lolita Alva

Wapahani High School

Parents: Kim Alva

Hometown: Muncie

Grade-point average: 3.8 out of 4.0

SAT total score: 1820

School activities: According to her guidance counselor, Alva has the "ability to help her peers understand concepts such that the people she helps score very well on the tests."

Alva took Advanced Placement calculus her senior year, although taking such a hard class along with the final the test was "pretty scary."

"I mean, that's a big test and it's calculus," Alva said. "I was pretty nervous about it. I just thought I wouldn't be losing anything if I didn't pass it. I thought if I didn't take it, I would be losing the opportunity to at least try."

She was a member of National Honor Society and the concert, marching and pep bands.

Community activities: Alva's faith played a major role in her deciding on a career. As a Jehovah's Witness, Alva wanted a job that afforded her flexibility so she can be a full-time preacher/publisher. She was approved in middle school to be a preacher/publisher. She's logged in 160 hours preaching and working in the community.

"I think that's the best possible way that you can help someone is teach them about the Bible," Alva said. "That's my main goal in life is to be able to be a full time preacher/publisher so I can help people. I think that if I wasn't one of Jehovah's Witnesses I probably wouldn't even care about school or getting an education, but because I am, I realize that's very important.

The future: Alva plans to attend Ivy Tech Community College to study to be a medical assistant.

• blondie
    blondie

Jehovah's Witness joke fails to amuse the police
    By Stewart Payne
    (Filed: 28/07/2006)

A woman has been told by police that she must remove a sign on her garden gate that reads "Our dogs are fed on Jehovah's Witnesses" because it is "distressing, offensive and inappropriate".

Jean Grove, a pensioner, has displayed the sign for 32 years. Her late husband, Gordon, put it up after members of the Church banged on their door on Christmas Day 1974.

Mrs Grove, from Bursledon, Hants, said that police officers had taken her details and insisted that she remove the sign. Once they had left, she put it back.

She said the sign was not intended to cause offence and that no one had complained to her about it, not even Jehovah's Witnesses. It was merely a way of showing that she did not welcome their calls.

"It was just a bit of a lark," she said, pointing out that the only dog she had now was a Jack Russell pup called Rabbit, which was too small to savage callers of any religion.

Mrs Grove, 77, said: "If someone had told me they were offended, I would have taken it down. Why should it suddenly be a problem?" She said she kept the sign as a memorial to her husband, who died two years ago after 52 years of marriage.

"I couldn't believe it," she said. "The police put my name and address in their little black book and everything."

Her son, Richard, 53, said his father had become fed up with repeated calls from Jehovah's Witnesses and the visit on Christmas Day was the last straw.

He said his parents used to keep alsatians but they were good-natured and would have licked a visitor to death.

The only apparent visit from the Church since 1974 was when the sign was removed and on that occasion police helped to recover it.

"There's no way we could take the sign down," Mr Grove said. "It is a testament to dad's sense of humour."

Diana Sneezum, the chairman of Bursledon parish council, said the police should be concentrating on the bigger problems in the village.

"I find it quite surprising that they are concerned with this.

"We don't have the same responses to what many people feel are more pressing matters in the village, such as vandalism and trouble with yobs."

A spokesman for Hampshire police said: "We were informed by a member of the public who found the sign to be distressing, offensive and inappropriate.

"Officers attended the address and the sign was taken down."

A spokesman for the Jehovah's Witness movement in Hampshire accepted that the sign was a joke.

He said: "If we see signs like that we turn around and walk away."

"If they were naming individuals, then obviously that would be deeply offensive, but a sign like that is just stupid rather than deeply hurtful."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/28/nwitness28.xml

• parlay
    parlay

The more I do, the more I can do.

Common sense is not common at all.

• blondie
  • blondie
    blondie

IT is about holding hope for the future. Government, no matter how "good intended", can not fix mankind's growing "wickedness", the environment, world security and terrorism. So preach the Jehovah's Witnesses, a church whose members believe people will never be able to govern effectively and that God will soon physically intervene to resolve world plight.

Notice how the WTS never says that solving the world's plight involves destroying forever 6.5 billion non JWs, men, women and children.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,20179584-3102,00.html

*** w89 9/1 p. 19 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Revelation 7:9-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They will make up the "flesh" that Jesus Christ said would be saved through the worst tribulation of all human history.

w52 6/1 pp. 342-343 Fixing Destinies in This Judgment Period ***

Since Ezekiel 9:4-6 shows that some "little children" are in the class eternally destroyed at Armageddon, on what basis are they put in that class in view of the fact that they are too young to be held accountable for themselves? The Scriptures indicate a family responsibility or a family merit under which the destiny of unresponsible children is determined. Scriptural examples of this principle will help meek and teachable ones mold their minds to fit in with God’s view on this matter, will help them get God’s thoughts on it rather than stubbornly clinging to their own. Theirs are not only fallible but also immaterial, since Jehovah’s are the ones that fix the principles that determine the outcome of the matter.

When Dathan and Abiram rebelled against Jehovah’s theocratic arrangement in the wilderness the earth swallowed them up. But not them alone, for the record shows that along with them perished "their wives, and their sons, and their little children". (Num. 16:23-33; Deut. 11:6) Did not Achan by his greed bring death not only to himself but to his sons and daughters as well, his entire household and possessions being destroyed with him? (Josh. 7:24-26) Did not David’s sin result in his offspring’s death? (2 Sam. 12:15-18) Ham’s trespass brought a curse upon his son Canaan. (Gen. 9:22-27) King Saul’s descendants suffered for his sins. (2 Sam. 21:1-9) Also, the Mosaic Law stated that the iniquities of the parents should be visited upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

But all these examples are of people who died temporarily to be resurrected at a later date.

w52 6/1 p. 343 Fixing Destinies in This Judgment Period ***

Parents are commanded to instruct their children in God’s ways, and if in these last days parents fail to heed the divine instructions they may bring destruction not only upon themselves but upon their small children at Armageddon

• blondie
    blondie

Test

Q1, 2) What can the fear of Jehovah bring?

1) Happiness does not come easily. Real happiness is contingent on making the right choices, doing what is right, and turning away from what is wrong. Our Maker, Jehovah, has given us his Word, the Bible, to teach us how to enjoy the very best way of life. By seeking and following Jehovah's direction, thus displaying the fear of God, we can be truly satisfied and happy.-Psalm 23:1; Proverbs 14:26.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit