Does Sharon make US foriegn policy?

by William Penwell 21 Replies latest social current

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Sharon: Iran Next on War List

NewsMax.com
    Friday, Nov. 8, 2002

Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says the U.S. war on terror shouldn't end with Iraq.

Iran is just as dangerous and a top priority for a regime change, Sharon said this week. He argued that although Iraq is an "insane" regime, Iran is a "center of world terror."

In an exclusive interview with the New York Post, Sharon said that as soon as Iraq is dealt with, he "will push for Iran to be at the top of the 'to do' list."

"Iran makes every effort to possess weapons of mass destruction … and ballistic missiles … That is a danger to the Middle East, and a danger to Europe,” he said.

Repeating that Iran is "behind terror all around the world,” Sharon claimed Iran was working with terrorist groups to harm Israel.

Some reports have indicated that Iran, a Russian ally, is in a state of de facto war with Israel in providing as much as $100 million to Hezbollah, one of the main groups using homicide bombers within Israel.

Regarding Europe, Sharon says that his relationships with its leaders are good, but that he has a problem with the continent. "I told them many times that I would like to see Europe more involved … I should say regretfully that there is no balanced approach,” meaning that he thinks the Europeans are far too sympathetic toward the Palestinians.

He has eased his view of negotiations with the Palestinians. He told the Post: "There are those among the Palestinians who understand that they will not be able to achieve anything by force. Those that are ready to speak peace, I am ready to talk and negotiate with. As a matter of fact, I am in contact with them now.”

These people presumably do not include Yasser Arafat, with whom the Israelis would rather not negotiate any more, as they want him ousted as leader of the Palestinians. Sharon shares many of his views with his new defense minister, Shaul Mofaz, who recently echoed Sharon’s sentiments on Iran and Arafat.

Sharon believes he can make peace with the Arabs. "I think I am one of the only ones [with] the power and strength to tell the citizens of Israel what they have to do … to make painful compromises.”

And if Sharon loses leadership of his party and Israel before any of these goals can be accomplished? He replied, "I am 74 years old … I don’t have any further political ambitions.”

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/11/7/154220.shtml

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Does he set US policy? No! Does he have good and valid points? Yes!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Radical Moslems did more to set US policy than Sharon or the Israelis ever did, remember September 11 ?? As far as Iran is concerned, he is right on target. Israel can take care of the problem themselves by using the nukes they apparently posess, and pushed to the wall I think they just might do the unthinkable.

I don't know why these people hate us so much, but I do know that the 3000 people who died in the World Trade Center did not deserve their fate. So, anything the US does to make sure it doesn't happen again is fine with me.

• avishai
    avishai

C'mon. Yup, more of the same "The Jews control the world" bullshit. Sharon is way to confrontational, w/ very little action.,Fish or cut bait. Either go in, kick the crap outta Hamas, etc. (THey do have the worlds best military) Or shut up.

PS, were as many people saying the same crap when Rabin was in power, all this Jews control the world stuff? If not, why? MAybe because he agreed to 99% of Arafat's terms & was still turned down? This is a blood feud where terrorist org. are concerned, not negotiation. They want every Jew & christain IN THE WORLD, not just israel, either converted or dead. There are many in Palestine & Israel that want peace. The extremists f**K it up every time.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Double checking.

SS

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yeah it is a bunch of crap that 21 century policies are dictated by a book that was written 4 thousand years ago. Wither you agree with me or not, the bottom line is, its all to do with religion. The radical Muslims believe they are directed by God just as much as the radical Judio/Christains believe they also are directed by God. When you have people that are setting policies based on religious intolarances, we are doomed to keep repeating history until we will eventually kill each other off. Instead of trying to better our lives here on earth, we will all all receive our reward in heaven

Will

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    I don't know why these people hate us so much,

Maybe its because we are trying to push our ideaologies and way of life on them. We may think their way of life is strange, just as much as they think our way of life is strange. They have a right to self govern themselves as much as we hold those same rights so dear to us. People in some parts of the world live through 9/11's every day of their lives. I am not trying minimize those 3000 lives lost but you won't get a lot of sympathy in a most of these 3rd world countries that see death and distruction everyday of their lives.

Will

• jelly
    jelly
    we are trying to push our ideaologies and way of life on them

Please define how we are doing that.

right to self govern themselves

Who does not want to allow them to govern themselves? Please respond within the context of the deal Clinton offered the pals and the plan the US is using in Iraq to attempt to create a stable government.

People in some parts of the world live through 9/11's every day of their lives

Yes, the taliban killed more afghans than we did. So should the US become isolantionist and allow people to kill themselves like in Cambodia, Rawanda, our is it our responsibility to fix these problems it.

you won't get a lot of sympathy

I and I believe most Americans do not want anyones sympathy. We just want a way to fix it.

Terry

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Iran and Syria - next!

Or maybe N. Korea.

Depends on our mood, really.

We scared the crap out of the world by crushing Iraq as quickly, precisely, and bloodlessly as we did. the giant has awakened.

CZAR

• jelly
    jelly

My honest take is that no one is next. We are going to try to get Iraq right. If we can get some form of functional stable democratic in Iraq it would go along way to winning the WOT. IMHO.

NK, thats China's baby they are going to fix it.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit