Did anyone catch the irony in the December JW Broadcast?

by sir82 12 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

There was an interview with a 107 year old lady who had been a JW since the age of 10 or so. Remembers seeing the "Photodrama of Creation" when it was still a thing, etc.

So she's explaining about herself & her husband witnessing thru the years, 1930's thru now.

She says at one point, her husband called on a guy who said something like "The last time I got a call from a JW, it was 50 years ago in xyz village by a guy on a bike who said Armageddon was coming soon."

The lady was just so tickled, because the guy on the bike was her husband, who happened to run into the same guy (who remembered him) 50 years later.

And I'm thinking "Wait a minute....her husband said 'Armageddon was coming soon' 50 years earlier...obviously he was completely wrong. Didn't you ever consider what a colossal waste that 50 years of preaching was? 50 years telling people 'Armageddon is coming soon'. Probably most if not virtually all of those people have died. Armageddon wasn't coming 'soon', it didn't come when you said it was going to. Why on earth would you think it is coming now?"

The irony: She was talking about what a "wonderful life" she has had, no regrets and all that....but really, there is nothing I can imagine that was a more complete and utter waste of time and effort than preaching for 80 years about an event that is supposed to come "soon" but never will.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Spinning their wheels for 80 years, what an inspiration!.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

She also mentioned that she keeps up with " current truth". They seem to be really pushing this whole " new light" is the sign of the true religion thing.

I can't help But think this is prepping the r & f for a big change in doctrine.

• prologos
    prologos
    Sir, "--a 107 year old lady who had been a JW since the age of 10 or so

wait a minute, in the truth for 97 years? since 1919, the year the GB, Faithful & Discreet Slave was born? invisibly? witnessed in the 30, so, of the anointed? part of either the overlapped or the overlappers? or both?

with anointed like her, and overlapping, the great tribulation need not start until 2108, armageddon even later. new light hidden right there.

• Dagney
    Dagney

My mother would have responded the same. Sadly preaching the end since 1938. No convincing otherwise. Le sigh.

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    I think he was riding a little white horse, not a bike. That video really disturbed me, imagine preaching all those decades, wasting all those years, and what does she get for it? Nothing. How could someone remain faithful that long and never doubt? Maybe she has nothing else to look forward to.
  • sir82
    sir82

"Current truth" is a Russellite term. Her parents were IBSAers, so that was probably a common phrase in their household when she was growing up.

part of either the overlapped or the overlappers? or both?

She was only 5 years old in 1914, certainly not baptized then, so even if "anointed", per the official malarkey, er, doctrine, she could not be part of the "first group" of the "overlapping generation".

Of course, that understanding is merely "current truth".

Sanderson is the youngest known official member of "group 2". He is only 51, but his morbid obesity indicates a life expectancy of very likely little more than 20 years.

"Current truth" will be due for a new & improved version in the 2030's or so.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"Present truth" - it's a quote from 2 Peter 1:12 in the King James.

Russell and others mistook the "present" in the verse as having a temporal rather than a spatial sense. In English the word is ambiguous, whereas in Greek the term means "present" in a spatial sense.

• prologos
    prologos
    Sir : "--She was only 5 years old in 1914, certainly not baptized then, so even if "anointed", per the official malarkey, er, doctrine, she could not be part of the "first group" of the "overlapping generation".
    prologos reply: I was referring to anointed "like her", in age, the way David Splane suggested older over-under-lappers "like F. Franz" which would bring us only to ~ 2072-75. If she was baptized as a baby, and anointing usually happens at baptism, she would be of the first, underlapped group.

• sir82
    sir82

If she was baptized as a baby, and anointing usually happens at baptism, she would be of the first, underlapped group.

But she wasn't - she said her parents "learned the truth" when she was 10 years old, so that would be 1919.

Also the program says she was baptized in 1937

1919 and 1937 are after 1914, so she can't be part of the "first group".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit