EXPOSED: The insular world of Israeli Jehovah's Witnesses

by darkspilver 11 Replies latest jw friends

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

There's been discussion on this forum about the WT's preaching campaigns in Israel - here's an interesting article with pictures

A rare glimpse into the insular world of Israeli Jehovah's Witnesses

The state refuses to recognize them and they have been victims of harassment. But Jehovah's Witnesses insist that they lead normal lives and are not a dangerous cult.

Yarden Zalimansky is only 25, but comports himself like a staid older citizen. He’s been married for a few years, and wears a white shirt, tie and dark slacks for our meeting; he has a tablet opened to a Bible app and speaks in a deeply serious tone of voice. Until age 19, he styled himself an atheist, now he’s a member of Jehovah’s Witnesses. He grew up in Tel Aviv in a secular family (“One Holocaust and three cases of cancer was enough for the loss of God”), and majored in film at an arts high school.

Read the full 4,900 word article - with pictures - at http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.756487

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6069730538422272/anyone-else-hear-this

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/285095/watchtower-encouraging-members-go-preach-israel

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/289445/campaign-israel

• oppostate
    oppostate

Looks like one has to have a login password to read the article.

Must be quite secretive reporting... :-p

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hi opppostate

Looks like one has to have a login password to read the article.

Must be quite secretive reporting... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here's a link to a screenshot for you - includes pictures etc

http://imgur.com/ruTYVZo

The article makes some interesting comments.

Also, I don't think I've seen so many paintings / pictures on the inside walls of a KH before!!!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Israeli JWs, unrecognised by the Israeli state, have been the victims of harassment? That doesn't sound good.

But Israel is the only place in the Middle East where JWs can safely get on with their lives as JWs ...

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

It's true. Jehovah's Witnesses are indeed victims of harassment in Israel. I'm a Jew, and I know firsthand that this is true.

And Catholics are also the victims of harassment, as are Protestant Christians.

Muslims get harassed too.

And sometimes Ashkenazi Jews get harassed by Mizrahi Jews, and vice versa.

And then sometimes Avi Cohen's dad gets chased down the road by the mean old fat lady on his street who beats him with a broom if he gets too close to her house. One time she drew blood from a good womp to his head!

You get the picture?

It's the Middle East, it's Israel, it's a hotbed and powder keg. You go in there with a match, things are bound to go BOOM!

Mine you, I personally am for freedom of conscience for everyone, everywhere, even in Israel. A lot of Israelis feel the same. I do not appreciate proselytizing there or here because this type of religious activity is not merely "sharing some good news." It's about being taught that your religion and culture are part of the Devil's plot to blind you, and that unless you change these things about you (your religion and culture), you will die any moment now, at a time that is "just around the corner," when God shall come and destroy the rest of the inhabitants living in Israel (who, by the way, if you are a Jew are literally your flesh end blood). God will destroy them for being, well, Jewish, and erase every trace of their Jewish world.

So, guess what? In that part of the world people aren't content to merely sit at a computer and anonymously give their angered opinion about the activity and goals of the Witnesses. Again, it's the Middle East. In that culture we get in your face and take it upon ourselves to stop you.

After all, this is Israel, and it was established after the Holocaust for the main purpose of preventing something like the Holocaust from ever again destroying the Jewish people and their culture. You want to proselytize in Israel with the message of Jehovah's Witnesses that tells you to stop being Jewish, religiously and culturally? Mmm, okay.

Even the LDS church (Mormons) forbid their members from proselytizing or even discussing or distributing materials to Israelis. It is an official decree from the top down. Even in the USA, the other day when a pair of Mormon missionaries knocked on my door and, after a moment of talk realized I was Israeli, they stopped their presentation, changed track, asked a few questions about what Jews believed, then asked if I need help with anything in my home because outside of their preaching work they "also do public service, no strings attached." I said no, thanked them, and they left, never to return. That is their policy.

A Hasidic Jew once ran through marchers at a gay parade in Israel (openly gay life is quite celebrated there). He had a knife and went through crowds stabbing people. The first year he wasn't caught, but they got him the second year when he started doing the same thing.

It's Israel. Everybody gets harassed by somebody. It's never right. It has to stop, but the Witnesses are not special targets. And unless they change like the Mormons (there's a Mormon center in Jerusalem, if memory serves me right), I don't see their ministry ever being fully accepted.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@David_Jay - appreciate your honest comment.

Israel is far from perfect but it is the only place in the Middle East where religious minorities and sexual minorities can get on with their lives in relative peace.

There are Israeli Arabs in the Knesset; there is a regular flow of gay Palestinians to Tel Aviv because their own people would harm them in Gaza or the Westbank; there are no doubt Israeli citizens who are openly atheist; and evolution is taught in Israeli education.

The latter point, Israeli education, has led to many Israeli scientists winning Nobel Prizes.

Meanwhile Arabs mostly achieve nothing, except slaughtering fellow Arabs.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If it's so wonderful, then why can't the members of the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger class go into Mea Shearim, a neighborhood of ultra-orthodox rabbis, and go door to door preaching the jokehovian witless message there? That is my challenge. If they can't do it themselves, they have no business sending anyone else in there.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I suspect that NOBODY does that in Mea Shearim

But considering the WT HQ was in Brooklyn for many years....

And Brooklyn / Borough Park has one of the highest populations of ultra-orthodox Haredi outside Israel (and see when they come out to protest in New York City on the youtubes below - and that's only the men)

And I even think a few of the old WT HQ buldings where located within Eruvs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eruv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaOosoXc_RE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP51T_cfwXw

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I found it interesting that the elder is described as " only 50". It's something I've always wondered at, a 50 year old elder is pretty average in jws but the revered rabbis in Judaism are often very old - whereas elders are deleted ( or is it just cos?) When they get to a certain age now. I find that *extremely* disrespectful. Some JW elders are absurdly young.

It's also described in the article as a " mix of Judaism and Christianity" which, although they'd deny it, is kind of true...it would weirdly please them since they are the church of Adoration of king David!!

The young man interviewed also fluffy the whole blood issue....again probably because of the authorities they toned it down and the bullcrap about only baptizing minors at 17. Maybe once...not any more. So glad they cannot target youngsters in isreal at least.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

whereas elders are deleted

No not deleted, removed as a congregation co-ordinator (CBE/ old PO) or a circuit overseer if they're over 80 (I think) - they are not deleted as elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit