Who Really Rules the World?

by Kenneson 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

One of the current topics discussed by the Watchtower Society concludes that it is Satan who really rules the world. http://watchtower.org/library/t22/who_rules.htm Of course, a number of Scriptures are offered as proof. However, a number of other Scriptures are completely overlooked. For example, Daniel 4:17, 25, 34-35 & Dan. 5:21 recognize God as ruler. See also 1 Chronicles 29:10-13 Likewise, the Psalmist proclaims the same in Psalm 67:4; Psalm 66:7; Psalm 59:13; Psalm 47:7; Psalm 24 and Psalm 93:1-2. Ex. 15:18 has the same sentiment. God rules.

The Watchtower also asks a very interesting question: "Could Satan have offered Jesus all these world governments if they were not his?" But where does it say governments? What mountain in Jerusalem or all of Israel is tall enough to show all the worlds' earthly governments? Can't even see Rome from there, although Roman soldiers and influence could have been seen and felt in Israel. I think Satan is offering Jesus power and wealth, but Jesus refuses because he knows Satan is a liar. It is not Satan's to offer in the first place. He doesn't own anything on earth, not even Rome. See Luke 10:18-20 and Matt. 28:18 and Eph. 6:12 Moreover, to interpret Matt. 4:8-9 as governments certainly poses a challenge to the W.T.'s interpretation of Rom. 13:1-7. One can't have it both ways; either the governments are put in their positions by God or by Satan, not both.

Additionally, the New Testament portrays Jesus as King of kings and Lord of lords(Matt. 21:5 Luke 19:38 , and 23:38; 1 Tim. 6:15 and Rev. 17:14). He is the Ruler of rulers, not Satan.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

"The Lord's is the earth and it's fullness" so said the Psalmist.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I heard the latest theories are about some kind of reptiles.

• ignorance is strength
    ignorance is strength

This is what JW's don't realise, Satan was lying to Jesus... Like in the exoricst where Fr. Merrrin says: "The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us."

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Kennneson, Good post. I studied on this subject awhile back. And of course JW's long held view has always been that Satan is in control of the world. I often wondered what are we still doing here if that is the case. If he is bent on destroying everyone, then he would have done that as soon as he came to power. There are many OT scriptures showing Yaweh to be in control of the world as you shown. I think the A.V uses the word "World" when satan tells Jesus he will give him the kingdoms of the "World" if he would worship him. What is interesting about the word "World" (Kosmos in the coin greek) is it is used in various ways, usually to denote "Inhabitable land" but almost never in a global sense. Consider how it is used in the NT. Luke 2:2 "....there went out a decree that all the WORLD should be taxed." Acts 17:6 when the Jews stirred up the rulers of the city againts the apostles the said; "These that have turned the WORLD upside down." John 12:19 "The pharisees therefore said among themselves, Percieve ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the WORLD is gone after him." Even in John 3:16 wich is often quoted in religious circles, does not neccesarily imply a global sense. Jesus here was talking to Nicodemus, a Jew who rejected the idea of salvation for the gentile. The word here is most likely used to show salvation to Jew and Gentile alike, and also indicating a lot of folks.

Compare the Hebrew word for "Earth". Deut. 13:7 makes you think it is talking about the whole globe, when in fact it is talking about just a large area.

However something was "delivered" to Satan, because he makes the statement in the same account in Luke 4:6 "All this power will i give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever i will give it." And i dont think the argument that Satan is a Liar and he was just lying works here. I know he is the Father of Lies, and a great deciever, but he was talking to the Son of God here. And even in his human form, Jesus knew all things. Even who would believe, who would betray him, ect....Surely he knew Satan had no power over the world. And to say it was over a limited Government, would be to say God Almighty is not totally soveriegn over all things. In other words, there is something he created that he has no control over. The argument might be used that he gave LIMITED power to Satan over that general area of the world, so he (God) was still in control overall, but let satan do certain things. I think that makes more sense than anything else i can come up with.

Either way, its an interesting topic. Another point is, if Satan showed Jesus all the kingdoms of the Global World, it would have to be in some sort of vision. So why take him up to a high mountain?

Cheers

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Sorry, I cannot offer a religious explanation pro or con. I can only say that if there is a god (good or bad) unequivocally ruling the world, he/she should be treated for some polar disorder. Incredible good is balanced by incredible horror in the world. I cannot believe any intelligent creature, either benevolent or evil, is in charge.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Of course Satan could show Jesus all of the kingdoms from a sufficiently tall mountain... didn't you know that the world is flat?

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Yea, but if God is ruling the world right now, or Jesus, how come all the wickedness and suffering? It's obvious the devil is controlling things right now. You seem to be forgetting or deliberately ignoring the crucial point that God has merely allowed Satan temporary dominion. It's all relative my dear.

Anyway, I thought George Bush and Donald Rumsfeld are currently ruling the planet

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Prsh...

Everyone knows that I rule the world.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

well ya know I had plans to take over the world but my mother joined a cult and dragged me in with her and I got stuck which put my time-line a tad behind

And well now they've gone and made such a mess of things I don't think I want the job anynore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit