Speaking of the latest magazines...

by Odrade 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Odrade
    Odrade

UC, I don't have a scanner, but I can send you the article, or post the contents. If you want the text emailed to you, there are several people here who can vouch for me not changing the article to make it sound worse. PM me. I totally understand your skepticism though. I tend to read everything with a doubting eye now too.

Dont remember who asked, but the Q was :

In many parts of the world, it is customary to give wedding gifts. What Scriptural principles should we consider when giving or receiving such gifts?

The text I previously posted is one complete paragraph of the answer. First paragraph was about how the bible approved of gift-giving. The second was a description of what/how gift registries are--presumably for the benefit of countries where it is not the custom. Third paragraph is posted in entirety above in my 1st and second posts.

Fourth paragraph:

Certainly, givers should not be made to feel that in order for their gift to be acceptable, it must be purchased at a certain store or fall within a particular price range. After all, Jesus Christ indicated that what is most precious in God's sight is a giver's heart attitude, not the material value of the gift. (Luke 21:1-4) Similarly, regarding gifts of mercy to the needy, the apostle Paul wrote: "Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."-2 Corinthians 9:7.

They also addressed the "signing the card" thing:

Biblically speaking, there is nothing wrong with identifying oneself as the giver of a gift, perhaps by including a note with a present. However, in some places, it is the custom to identify the giver to all those present. This custom can lead to problems. Thos giving a present may want to remain anonymous in order to avoid attracting undue attention to themselves. Such individuals act according to the principle found at Matthew 6:3, where Jesus states: "But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing." Others may feel that gift-giving is a personal matter that should remain private between the giver and the recipient. Moreover, identifying the givers could lead to comparisons of gifts, "stirring up competition." (Galatians 5:26) Christians surely would want to avoid making anyone feel uncomfortable or embarrassed by publicly announcing the names of the givers.-1Peter 3:8
    Yes, by acting in harmony with principles found in God's Word, gift-giving will remain a source of happiness.-Acts 20:35.

So there it is. Now that I reread this article, I am more disturbed by it. It seems that all the scriptures "supports" for this were in reference to acts of charity, mercy or contribution. None were really a reference to gift-giving to individuals in celebration. Isn't this yet another example of stretching the principles in the Bible to extend an umbrella over things that are really none of the WTS business? Do you think Jesus was going around giving principles to the attendees and gift-givers at the lavish wedding he attended in Cana?

Would this constitute an example of violating Paul's words at 1 Corinthians 4:6 "Do not go beyond what is written." Though this is really a trivial matter, the application of scriptures is indicative of the process used by the WTS to ensnare it's adherents in an ever tightening net of control.

Odrade

• mustang
    mustang

Much ado about nothing...

Mountains to the left, molehills to the right... sigh....

Brooklyn does it again. Would anybody notice if they SKIPPED an issue or 3?

Mustang

• Odrade
    Odrade

I know! Do they even talk to each other before they write the articles???!!!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Who is it that felt that they needed to ask the WTS about the gift registry? And why does the society feel that they must answer this, especially in the questions from readers? Do they have so few worthy questions?

This just in from Tower headquarters. A source sends me the list of questions being considered a few months ago for the Questions From Readers article in this issue:

1. How'd you guys get caught with your pants down on that UN thing?

2. Why are we taking a page from the Catholic's book and stonewalling on the child abuse issue? Can't we just own up, make some changes, and move on?

3. What's the bible have to say on gift registries for weddings? Are they scriptural?

Now imagine the committee that met to review QFR submissions:

Uh, I like number 3.

Okay, who wants to write it?

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Damn straight I want the couple to know I gave something to them! After all, I came, ate their food, shared in their joy, and danced to their music! I want them to know I appreciate them asking me to share in their union....

ooops...oh that would just be for worldly weddings, were you can actually HAVE a good time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit