Speaking of the latest magazines...

by Odrade 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Odrade
    Odrade

Did anyone see the recent questions from readers that cautions against about using gift registries for you wedding? No joke. Sept 1, 2003.

Whether a couple who are getting married wish to use a gift registry is a matter for personal decision. However, a Christian would want to be careful to avoid any practices that might violate Bible principles.

Can we all say: NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS WTS??!!

• rocketman
    rocketman

What could possibly be wrong with using a gift registry?

• suzi_creamcheez
    suzi_creamcheez

Gift-giving gives attention to the individual, which detracts from God. Putting up a gift registry is like giving Jehovah's people a shopping list; it is disgraceful before the Lord, and turns the Kingdom Hall into a den of sin (Ren. 23:10) Can you imagine Jesus or Paul signing up at the local department store for china and toasters ? Certainly not! Loving christians should not use a joyful occasion like marriage for selfish material gain, instead all the glory should go to Jehovah.

Instead of greedily opting for a "gimme" list, newly married couples should request that donations be made to the Society. For the bible says, "...truly we know, their blessings will be reaped ten thousand fold!!" (Stmp. 10:14)

-just bein' silly =suz

• Odrade
    Odrade

haha you guys! here's the reason:

For instance, what if an engaged couple were to make up a list containing very costly items? In such a case, those on a limited budget may be unable to provide a gift, or they may feel that it would be better to decline the invitation to attend the wedding so as to spare themselves the embarrassment of bringing an inexpensive present.

Duh, if you don't see something on the registry you want to give, buy something else, or just give a card! Don't make it a big stinkin' THEOCRATIC ISSUE!

One Christian woman wrote: " It is becoming overwhelming. I have tried to be generous, but lately all the happiness that I used to find in giving is lost."

Hmmmm... maybe because there is a lack of love in the congregation? Or maybe because the newly weds will never send their Thank You notes because they are "too busy in the service?"

How sad it would be if a wedding were to become a source of discouragement!
    Yes, by acting in harmony with principles found in God's Word, gift-giving will remain a source of happiness.

And that's the truth! Pfthbt!

Odrade

• sens
    sens

OMG!!!

They Go From One Thing To Another...

turns the Kingdom Hall into a den of sin

LMAO Suzi

3Sens4

• Latin assassin from Manhattan
    Latin assassin from Manhattan

C'mon guys - this one is easy.

The reason why the WT wastes ink on this crap is because there are thousands of Bethelites who get invited to weddings and bridal showers and of course - they have nothing to spend on a gift. The WT sticks up for them by making us settle for a set of knives from the local 99cent store. Have you ever seen the face of a Bethelite at a baby shower, a bridal shower when 'gift opening time' comes around - they are usually in the kitchen talking about 'spiritual matters' to cover for their cheap-ass gift.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

You know... this isn't a theocratic issue. This is just plain, simple common sense. It's also advice that's found on bridal sites and the like.

But of course, everything has to be a matter of 'biblical principles'.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Hold on a second... didn't another very recent article say that it was dumb to fuss over little things like piƱatas? Now they are fussing over gift registries?

This makes me wonder if they even try to edit for content. It seems like every article exists in its own little microcosm.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You are so right Elsewhere.

This makes me wonder if they even try to edit for content. It seems like every article exists in its own little microcosm
    . I have never expressed it so well , but for years we knew that one article would soon be contradicted in principle by another. It just depended who wrote it and what his beef was

• integ
    integ

I knew that suzi-creemcheez was a writer for the Watchtower...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit